The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One/Mamiya 28 mm LS vs FP

Nik

Hello!

Did anyone do corner sharpness comparison for Leaf shutter and Focal plane (non-LS) versions of Phase One - Mamiya 28 mm lens at f8-f11 apertures on IQ180/IQ280 backs? Is there any noticable difference ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Paul2660

Results should be same as the only difference is the addition of the LS shutter. No change in elements or groupings.

Expect corner softness until around F11 or so on the 60MP or greater backs.

Paul

Nik

Thank you, Paul !

Results should be same as the only difference is the addition of the LS shutter. No change in elements or groupings.

Expect corner softness until around F11 or so on the 60MP or greater backs.

Paul

miska

So what is the "cross-over" focal length, where the Phase one SLR lenses do not look ridiculous compared to tech-cam lenses ? (Assuming movements are not required). I suspect tech cam lenses will always be slightly better (when they exist), but is for example the latest P1 80mm decent compared to a HR 90mm digaron SW ? What about the 120mm macro (compared to a tech cam macro, 120mm) ?

Ken_R

So what is the "cross-over" focal length, where the Phase one SLR lenses do not look ridiculous compared to tech-cam lenses ? (Assuming movements are not required). I suspect tech cam lenses will always be slightly better (when they exist), but is for example the latest P1 80mm decent compared to a HR 90mm digaron SW ? What about the 120mm macro (compared to a tech cam macro, 120mm) ?
I would say from 80mm up. But if you want large image circles for stitching then of course there is not substitute. But tech wide angles rule supreme.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

I'd say around 45mm to 55mm the difference is less stark. By 80mm it is negligible; though even at these longer lengths their inclusion of movements and allowance for intra-image-circle stitching is a valuable asset.

But for correctness I would rephrase your question to "what is the cross over focal length where tech camera lenses no longer greatly exceed *any* SLR lens. This is not an issue with Phase One / Schneider SLR glass.

Tech camera lenses don't have to design around a mirror box, nor are they especially restrained by budget. It's not surprising therefore that the quality they provide is better than *any* wide angle SLR lenses.