The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CMOS Look, CCD Look in MF Sensors

f8orbust

The best i can add to this fractious, and ultimately pointless, debate is that, while some difference is real, CMOS is so much better in more important ways (cost, ISO/DR, Liveview) that this functionally ends the debate.
Yes, that's really the nub of the matter - any perceived advantage CCD backs have (if indeed they do) are easily swept aside by the added functionality that CMOS brings - particularly clean high ISO, DR and Liveview.

Such a shame HB are raising the price of the CFV50c in Japan to match pricing elsewhere. From what I hear this has more to do with tantrums from dealers overseas than it has to do with economic realities. HB are presented with an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot ... and they end up blowing their leg off. Sigh. Even at $15k it's still one hell of a proposition compared to the the IQ150/250, but at ~$10k it broke new ground. Oh well.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

You can get the same sensor below 10k$ with the Pentax 645Z, camera included. The CFV 50c is of course a great boon for Hasselblad V-series owners, but the 1.3X crop factor limits the wide angle side.

Still, the CFV 50c is low cost compared to the H5D-50c.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, that's really the nub of the matter - any perceived advantage CCD backs have (if indeed they do) are easily swept aside by the added functionality that CMOS brings - particularly clean high ISO, DR and Liveview.

Such a shame HB are raising the price of the CFV50c in Japan to match pricing elsewhere. From what I hear this has more to do with tantrums from dealers overseas than it has to do with economic realities. HB are presented with an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot ... and they end up blowing their leg off. Sigh. Even at $15k it's still one hell of a proposition compared to the the IQ150/250, but at ~$10k it broke new ground. Oh well.