Site Sponsors

Thread: New CEO

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New CEO

...has worked for iconic global brands such as Bulgari, Prada and Gucci.

As a former CEO of luxury mobile phone manufacturer VERTU...
    But is he a photographer? Does he know what photographers need? Having a background in luxury products that haven't saved the Hass brand so far won't help in further developing the pickup truck of the camera world, no matter how many rims and chrome plates you add.
    Let's hope he at least recognizes that and leaves product design to the nerds.

Post Thanks / Like

That Vertu/Gucci thing got me worried too.
    I just want Hasselblad to survive (at least) until the next CFV-XXc, "affordable" full frame CMOS back is out, to use on my tech cam . Please. Pretty please.

So Hassi, stop the Stellar / Lunar [email protected] and concentrate on real digital cameras. Continue with the H5D line, the CFV backs, perhaps even produce a digital X-pan (I would looooove that!).

Post Thanks / Like

Wow did you read the statements from the board . This looks totally hopeless . How exactly did the outgoing CEO build a solid base for the company ? Thru the misguided emphasis on luxury ? clones of Sony products . And now the new CEO (who was a member of the board ...”no new thinking there “ ) will emphasis the global brand . Not a thing about product .

None of that makes the HB line more competitive or even differentiated from the competition . Leica gets kicked around a lot for the S line ....but they have developed a super camera (from nothing ) and a whole line of lenses 24-180 in both CS and S versions . HB had an enormous lead in MF equipment and where are they now ?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It was not the outgoing CEO who started the Sony adventure, that was the one before him, Larry Hansen, who was replaced a year ago and had been CEO of Zeiss Asia for 16 years before he started the fiasco at Hasselblad. So much for experience from the camera industry.

Like it or not, camera sales these days are very much a question of branding, and Hasselblad is, in addition to being a tool for professionals, a luxury brand. They won't survive without also catering for well-heeled amateurs and camera enthusiasts. One must assume that the camera knowledge sits elsewhere in the organisation. Hopefully, this guy can contribute with a better strategy and win back some of the market shares they had before the H-Series. That won't be easy.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    HB had an enormous lead in MF equipment and where are they now ?
    They had an enormous lead in market position, but we have to go far back to find an enormous lead in MF equipment, and they never made the lenses themselves. Coming up with a camera that can regain the position the 500-Series had during its golden days requires technical skill as well as solid marketing competence. This will be interesting to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1
    How many museum are there to sell Cameras to vs consumers?
    I think a to do list of improvements that make digital capture of images a better and easier workflow combats marketing HYPE!
    Hasselblad has the ability to make lots of things happen within their current product range of hardware and software. Just wish or should I say HOPE the new captain charts a much different course not only with R&D but with the entire marketing structure and dealer network.
    Why do all camera manufactures take a wrong turn just when you start to think they almost get it they pull a 180. IMHO none of them are much further than they were five years ago most definitely not further than ten years ago. On the other hand a person can raise 1m for a kickstarter camera strap go figure. The consumer is dying for innovation, and they will pay for it if it's real!

Post Thanks / Like

Quite often, I wonder if the camera companies actually approach and ask ANY photographer what they need. As in, 'Based on our current body what would you like to see'? - Then, when they have a new camera, do they bother to send it for real life testing with real working pros, in enough quantity to improve it further.

And I'm not talking just those at the high end, but people shooting stuff like 50 weddings a year, off the radar, making a living.

Because I've felt that with the 1DX, 5D3, 645Z. I'd like to extend that to the Hasselblad but it's such a simple camera relative to the others that it's easier to bug hunt.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, the luxury b*ll is obviously not coming to an end. This does not look good. In fact I rather see Hassy dead than becoming a luxury brand with second grade function packaged in bling. Maybe soon I have to speak low of that I use Hasselblad, if people start to associate the brand with Lunar type of products, rather than real functional gear for serious photographers.

Leica has succeeded to be a luxury brand while keeping some dignity though, so it's possible, but Hassy's start has not been good, just very very embarrassing.

Jewellery, mechanical watches etc, that's suited for luxury, but digital products? I would only feel like an idiot if I spent luxury money on a digital camera which is deprecated in five years. It's just a tool.
    Last edited by torger; 10th January 2015 at 11:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Ok, the luxury b*ll is obviously not coming to an end. This does not look good. In fact I rather see Hassy dead than becoming a luxury brand with second grade function packaged in bling. Maybe soon I have to speak low of that I use Hasselblad, if people start to associate the brand with Lunar type of products, rather than real functional gear for serious photographers.

Leica has succeeded to be a luxury brand while keeping some dignity though, so it's possible, but Hassy's start has not been good, just very very embarrassing.

Jewellery, mechanical watches etc, that's suited for luxury, but digital products? I would only feel like an idiot if I spent luxury money on a digital camera which is deprecated in five years. It's just a tool.
    I think though it depends on how rich you are. $5 to one person is a lifeline and to another not even worth picking up from the floor.

There are some VERY rich people out there who want a blad for the glove box on their yacht.
    Last edited by Chris Giles; 11th January 2015 at 11:58.
    Chris Giles Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    I think though it depends on how right you are. $5 to one person is a lifeline and to another not even worth picking up from the floor.

There are some VERY rich people out there who want a blad for the glove box on their yacht.
    To be fair, there are MUCH better cameras for use on a yacht than a Hass - a Leica S or even the plebeian Pentax 645Z are both fully weather sealed for protection against the salty atmosphere, and Pentax even has stabilized lenses for getter sharper images while the boat is moving, but in this case I think Leica's marketing will win out, you just can't out-Leica Leica.

If you run over the spec sheet of any H camera; the size, weight, shooting speed, usability and workflow quirks... it's pretty darn obvious that this camera is designed specifically for people who know what they are doing, and marketing it any differently is just a waste.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll see how many that will pick a 'blad over Leica. Hassy's luxury items so far feels soooo very constructed, pasted onto a brand that really don't carry it well. Maybe this new CEO can reshape the brand into something else, I guess that's why he's there.

I think there are other ways for MFD than to specialize in second grade technology packaged in exclusive materials (like Vertu). CMOS opens up for broader more easy to use products, with almost the same functionality like the typical DSLR just bigger, it's just so much easier to sell at volumes to amateurs, not only professional studio workers. Much larger market. I also think the tech cam segment is under-utilized, yesterday's large format is today's tech cam with digital back and there's a lot of amateur interest there, shooting landscape.

But sure, let's pour the limited resources into making Lunar-style luxury consumer products, for those more interested in bling than in photography. In the best of worlds they won't corrupt the H line, and the luxury stuff actually sells (some do buy Vertu phones) and the profits are re-invested to keep H system competitive. I can think of many other much darker scenarios though.

A CEO of this type is not hired to have visions of photography, and actually how strange it may seem, I would have preferred that.

Post Thanks / Like

I think many would forgive the new CEO anything if he delivered a digital X-Pan.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    I think many would forgive the new CEO anything if he delivered a digital X-Pan.
    IIRC, the X-Pan is a re-badged Fuji camera, so maybe Fuji will come out with a digital version.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Let's face it, Hasselblad is for all intents and purposes Fuji, other than software and the CCD.

That's not entirely a bad thing either but it surprises me Fuji never ran with MF. Personally I think MF is the future of wedding photography. Be that mirrorless MF or otherwise.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

What? Fuji and Hasselblad collaborate on some things, but Hasselblad are most certainly not Fuji.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the same company no. Same body and lenses for the h series? Yep.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

This is how it is, Hasselblad design and make the body (in Gothenborg), Hasselblad design the lenses and make the lens shutters. Fuji make the lenses to Hasselblad design.
    I have posted a reply like this more times than I can remember in the forums but the old misunderstanding still won't die. Please, please can someone tell my why it is so hard to believe that Hasselblads are Swedish designed and made cameras. Japanese engineering is first rate but Hasselblad cameras don't look Japanese, don't feel Japanese and certainly aren't engineered in a Japanese way. I have spent my whole professional life repairing cameras and each nation has it's own style of design and build, you can tell the origin of a camera just by looking at the mechanism. It's probably the same as cars.
    Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras.
    www.classicv.co.uk
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Douglas, perhaps one day a forum owner will make those facts a sticky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Douglas. You explained it perfectly. I, too, was mistaken on some of the facts you present. Nick T firmly corrected me, so I am glad he and you stepped up and corrected misconceptions.

Greg

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    They had an enormous lead in market position, but we have to go far back to find an enormous lead in MF equipment, and they never made the lenses themselves. Coming up with a camera that can regain the position the 500-Series had during its golden days requires technical skill as well as solid marketing competence. This will be interesting to follow.
    IMO,

No, it takes an "enormous" market ... which existed in the "golden" film era because most all pros, including zillions of portrait and event photographers, used MF cameras rather than 35mm film cameras (or along with them) ... and by extension, anyone with the means to participate in the "prestige" of owning a professional level, finely crafted tool ... like the proverbial Engineer, Doctor or Dentist.

That market evaporated when most all media went digital, and 35mm digital debatably became competitive in imagery, and far more competitive in price for the professional photographer. Literally overnight, most wedding, event, and portrait photographers shed their MF cameras.

Face it, a vast amount of work, pro or amateur, can be done with a $3,000 digital camera verses a $30,000 camera ... with the latter depreciating at a ferocious rate.

That said, there are those willing to stretch for that extra bit of quality ... and IMO that defines "luxury" in this specific case, not "false bling luxury".

The word these marketers are missing is "prestige" ... pride of owning that finely crafted tool that stands way from the crowd. Not stand out not just because it is wrapped in a false imitation of luxury like a fashion item.

- Marc
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fairbank View Post
    This is how it is, Hasselblad design and make the body (in Gothenborg), Hasselblad design the lenses and make the lens shutters. Fuji make the lenses to Hasselblad design.
    I have posted a reply like this more times than I can remember in the forums but the old misunderstanding still won't die. Please, please can someone tell my why it is so hard to believe that Hasselblads are Swedish designed and made cameras. Japanese engineering is first rate but Hasselblad cameras don't look Japanese, don't feel Japanese and certainly aren't engineered in a Japanese way. I have spent my whole professional life repairing cameras and each nation has it's own style of design and build, you can tell the origin of a camera just by looking at the mechanism. It's probably the same as cars.
    Apologies Doug, I really thought it was the other way around.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Per Nordlund is the optical engineer at Hasselblad.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Leica S is brilliant in the sense that it works as a desirable luxury item but also as a VERY capable professional tool (even takes a bunch of lenses with factory adapters, yes including Hasselblad H's with full functionality including AF). Kudos to Leica.

So it proves that you can have both (Luxury and Performance) in one product.

So far PhaseOne is more about performance (no complaints there) and Hasselblad has been straddling both. Sorta. Id say they verge more towards performance but they also take care, somewhat, about looks and feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Leica S is not marketed as a luxury product as far as I know. When I hear luxury I don't think generally high priced item. Luxury is more towards fashion and jewellry, and Leica has done that with the Leica M system, special editions Hermes bags etc, ie this thing:

Leica teases our wallets with $50,000 Edition Hermès M9-P, $1,000 scarf sold separately

There's no luxury about the H system, it's low volume high priced pro gear with too much plastic parts on it, but it does the job well. The luxury items are the Lunar and Stellar. Oh well, they did try with the silly Ferrari editions of the H system, but I don't know how well that worked out.

With a CEO coming from Vertu, and experience from Bulgari, Prada, Gucci, I don't think he's into creating "luxury image quality" or something about that, he's there for trying to create credible bling. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

It's only the CEO though, as far as I know the H team is about the same as it has been for a long time. Possibly the luxury will be on a separate product line as before and the H system continues to be the professional tool it is today.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not say the Leica S is marketed as a Luxury Item specifically. I said it works as such mainly thanks to the Leica Brand per se and the fact that the Leica S looks and feels great in hand. Yes, the Hasselblad H is more utilitarian looking (and feeling) but with the H5D Hasselblad improved the look and feel of the H body.

If tapping into the well heeled amateur and enthusiast market by marketing cameras as luxury items results in more money being funneled into improving the products themselves then Im all for it.

Yes, I, as most people here, find it appalling when a manufacturer makes cosmetic changes to a camera (or product) , rebrands it and sells it for 5-10x the price. (a la VERTU). Hopefully Hasselblad does not do that again, even though the New CEO appointment hints that that might happen, and instead focuses on improving marketing and advertising to financially improve the company to in turn technically advance the products.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how well luxury sells to the enthusiast market. Maybe it's my prejudices but it seems to me like Hassy's attempt so far is more an aim for newly rich in the east where bling is more accepted.

Frankly I would feel like an idiot if I bought a Lunar. I would be ashamed. Just as I get insulted if someone calls my tech cam a "luxury" item -- it's all function. Enthusiasts are not necessarily rich but are prepared to spend a lot of their income on their favourite hobby. The tech cam landscape photographer embodies the enthusiast, but there are others too.

The CFV-50c is an enthusiast product, and it has sold well as far as I've heard. So aiming for enthusiasts could be a way forward too, but it would require a little bit different strategy I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies Doug, I really thought it was the other way around.
    No problem, I just wanted to set the record straight. I follow your work on Facebook, fantastic!
    Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras.
    www.classicv.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, thank you. This is really getting very tiresome.

Post Thanks / Like

"What? Fuji and Hasselblad collaborate on some things, but Hasselblad are most certainly not Fuji."
    I would hope that HB would be bought by Fuji rather than continue to stumble along with changing "investment groups" and "marketing" CEOs. The introduction of the CFV50c is a hopeful move by HB but the company needs deep financial pockets and leadership if it is going to survive.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

This story is just so ****ing sad. There are no other words.

No, not ****ing sad. "F U C K I N G sad."
    Last edited by Nick Devlin; 12th January 2015 at 10:00. Reason: nanny software can go to ****

Post Thanks / Like

In simple words, Hasselblad is ****ED.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for you input. Regarding the lens designs I got the impression that Hasselblad makes an initial design but Fuji refines it for production. So design work is shared. The info has been posted by the guy making the basic designs, Per Nordlund (?).

Thanks for being around and being helpful!

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New CEO (IMHO)

Well,

I would say that wee need to wait and see.

We don't know about Hasselblad financials, but if those blingy Sonys help the company survive, I guess it is OK.

I heard some presentation by Zeiss, they said that Zeiss is not a luxury brand. They try to offer excellent quality at a reasonable price. I don't know about the H-system, but the V-system is very utilitarian. No luxury, just a well design and decently built product.

Regarding the blingy Sonys, I would say that none of those original cameras were bad. The Lunarcy was just awful, while the Stellar had some more restraint. I have never seen the HV in real life, but it looks like a good implementation of the Sony Alpha SLT 99.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Devlin View Post
    This story is just so ****ing sad. There are no other words.

No, not ****ing sad. "F U C K I N G sad."
    What's really sad is your language.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet Hasselblad's classic V cameras still look way more luxurious than H and in my personal style of shooting more utilitarian than both.
    Eduardo

[QUOTE=Ken_R;620449]I did not say the Leica S is marketed as a Luxury Item specifically. I said it works as such mainly thanks to the Leica Brand per se and the fact that the Leica S looks and feels great in hand. Yes, the Hasselblad H is more utilitarian looking (and feeling) but with the H5D Hasselblad improved the look and feel of the H body.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder if I read the same article as others here?

"Former CEO Ian Rawcliffe's focus was to enhance the company's operations and build a solid base. With this in place together with [incoming] Perry's extensive experience, the company now has the best foundation to successfully implement its long term strategy - based on its unique positioning and strength in its core product proposition."

While Hasselblad still needs to continue developing its base product in the H system, it just as urgently needs to better market what they have, and find new customers. Thus a marketing focus at the top IMO.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Well Andy, I'm not sure about that but certainly I felt exactly like that when Hasselblad came with H system instead of taking the V to the new millennium, like Leica and Nikon did.
    I have felt like that every time Hasselblad missed to provide a digital back suited to work with the V's waist-level finder.
    Every time they came with a new CFV back missing rotation of the back or a revolving sensor, I felt ****ED!

I thank God for Sony. Soon, I'm sure we'll have a compelling DMF substitute or better yet, DMF backs will finally and hopefully get reasonably affordable.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    In simple words, Hasselblad is ****ED.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post

I thank God for Sony. Soon, I'm sure we'll have a compelling DMF substitute or better yet, DMF backs will finally and hopefully get reasonably affordable.
    Eduardo
    Let's not forget Pentax as they went 'Oh by the way' with the Z
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Well, to cite Mr. Oosting:

“It is an honour for me to accept this new role at Hasselblad and become an integral part of this iconic brand. This company has an incredible history and with its core DNA has a sound foundation for further development. The recent and widely acclaimed launch of our ‘back to the future’ CFV-50c CMOS back is a great example of our ongoing commitment to the total Hasselblad brand experience that enables customers to benefit from our advanced and exclusive digital engineering know-how.”

source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/fashi...asselblad-ceo/

Sounds like they will stick to the development of further CFV solutions to me.
    The rectangular backs (apart from CFV I and II) always distracted me as well. Hope they could bring something like a 4,5x4x5 sensor in the near future, though 5,5x5,5 would be the best but I don´t think that we will see that pretty soon. However, sensors are becoming cheaper every year. Mind what a 35mm full frame DSLR did cost 5 years ago and what you pay nowadays. Full frame 6x6 could come true somewhen.

Personally, I have great faith in Mr Oosting and hope he could become for Hasselblad what Mr Kaufmann has become for Leica. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Mind what a 35mm full frame DSLR did cost 5 years ago and what you pay nowadays. Full frame 6x6 could come true somewhen.
    I bought the 5D2 6 years ago for $3,700 or thereabouts, when full frame could finally be purchased for a somewhat reasonable price, instead of the roughly $7~8k commanded by DSLRs with a single digit in the model number. Today you can get a Sony a7 for $1,300, or 2.8x less, though to be fair it's not full-size DSLR, which would bring the price closer to half. Although even if you cut the prices of sensors in half, you still end up with half a princely sum.

Let's not forget Pentax as they went 'Oh by the way' with the Z
    I bit that bait, it was a biggun.

based on its unique positioning and strength in its core product proposition.
    Which is... the H system? Despite being their flagship camera, the H5D somehow doesn't seem like a "core" product and I'm not sure why.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Sounds like they will stick to the development of further CFV solutions to me.
    The rectangular backs (apart from CFV I and II) always distracted me as well. Hope they could bring something like a 4,5x4x5 sensor in the near future, though 5,5x5,5 would be the best but I don´t think that we will see that pretty soon. However, sensors are becoming cheaper every year. Mind what a 35mm full frame DSLR did cost 5 years ago and what you pay nowadays. Full frame 6x6 could come true somewhen.
    I think that Hasselblad has very little chance to affect sensor designs unfortunately, at least CMOS coming out from Sony. The one that sells the most units will have the most power to affect design, and I guess that would be Pentax.

I guess CCDs have a higher degree of customization possibility (easier to make) but even then Hassy has always used standard sensors that anyone can buy. Phase One with their past higher sales volumes seems to be in a better position to get unique sensors as shown with their collaboration with Dalsa. The H4D-60 came out when Phase One's period of exclusivity of that sensor expired. I guess the IQ260 variant is a Phase One exclusive.

CCD is dead though, it just don't know it yet. CMOS is the future, and with that I think the flexibility of small or large customizations will be greatly reduced as CMOS needs more volume, ie work for many manufacturers, to work business-wise. Hopefully I'm wrong though, maybe it's easy to make a custom size?

I've heard that Hassy is/was interested in getting a 49x37mm CMOS from Sony as some optics in the H system is optimized for that format but they wouldn't listen. On the other hand this is only the first CMOS sensor for MF, and then 44x33mm was surely the safest bet to test the market.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully expect to see a larger CMOS chip in the very near future.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

I fully expect to see a larger CMOS chip in the very near future.
    Indeed, if voidshatter's source is truthful, Phase One already have a 120 megapixel 54x41mm sensor sort of ready. If it's a Sony I doubt it will be exclusive to Phase One and then Hassy will have access to it too. But maybe Hassy will have to ditch their 49x37mm format, we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know more about the source. Looking at spec sheets though, and considering I'm a tech camera shooter, I'd rather see Hasselblad tap into Leica's chip design and the very thin cover glass that is reported to have better performance for tech camera movements, etc. At least that would give them a point of difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly see that as one of the ways Hassy and Phase can get a better USP (different sized sensor).

Currently the same sensor in three bodies? Not that great for business I wouldn't of thought. But that's pure speculation. Last time I checked, I was a full time wedding photographer, not someone on the board of Phase
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Indeed, if voidshatter's source is truthful, Phase One already have a 120 megapixel 54x41mm sensor sort of ready.
    "Sort of" in that it's claimed to have ridiculous shading problems with just about any lens attached... drop that down to somewhere in the 60-70mp range and it'll still knock people's socks off and actually be usable at the same time. A bigger sensor doesn't necessarily need more pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    "Sort of" in that it's claimed to have ridiculous shading problems with just about any lens attached... drop that down to somewhere in the 60-70mp range and it'll still knock people's socks off and actually be usable at the same time. A bigger sensor doesn't necessarily need more pixels.
    I never did the calculation, but now I did, 120 megapixels in 54x41mm would be ~4.3um pixel pitch, the current 50 megapixel has 5.3um, and the 36 megapixel 135 cameras has 4.9um. The smaller pixel pitch the more problems with pixel vignetting and crosstalk. Scaling up the current 44x33 sensor to full-frame with the same pixel pitch you would get 76 megapixels.

Looking at it this way it sounds more like that rumour is about a concept sensor that never was intended to get into a real product.