The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New CEO

...has worked for iconic global brands such as Bulgari, Prada and Gucci.

As a former CEO of luxury mobile phone manufacturer VERTU...
But is he a photographer? Does he know what photographers need? Having a background in luxury products that haven't saved the Hass brand so far won't help in further developing the pickup truck of the camera world, no matter how many rims and chrome plates you add.
Let's hope he at least recognizes that and leaves product design to the nerds.

miska

That Vertu/Gucci thing got me worried too.
I just want Hasselblad to survive (at least) until the next CFV-XXc, "affordable" full frame CMOS back is out, to use on my tech cam . Please. Pretty please.

So Hassi, stop the Stellar / Lunar cr@p and concentrate on real digital cameras. Continue with the H5D line, the CFV backs, perhaps even produce a digital X-pan (I would looooove that!).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Wow did you read the statements from the board . This looks totally hopeless . How exactly did the outgoing CEO build a solid base for the company ? Thru the misguided emphasis on luxury ? clones of Sony products . And now the new CEO (who was a member of the board ...”no new thinking there “ ) will emphasis the global brand . Not a thing about product .

None of that makes the HB line more competitive or even differentiated from the competition . Leica gets kicked around a lot for the S line ....but they have developed a super camera (from nothing ) and a whole line of lenses 24-180 in both CS and S versions . HB had an enormous lead in MF equipment and where are they now ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It was not the outgoing CEO who started the Sony adventure, that was the one before him, Larry Hansen, who was replaced a year ago and had been CEO of Zeiss Asia for 16 years before he started the fiasco at Hasselblad. So much for experience from the camera industry.

Like it or not, camera sales these days are very much a question of branding, and Hasselblad is, in addition to being a tool for professionals, a luxury brand. They won't survive without also catering for well-heeled amateurs and camera enthusiasts. One must assume that the camera knowledge sits elsewhere in the organisation. Hopefully, this guy can contribute with a better strategy and win back some of the market shares they had before the H-Series. That won't be easy.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
HB had an enormous lead in MF equipment and where are they now ?
They had an enormous lead in market position, but we have to go far back to find an enormous lead in MF equipment, and they never made the lenses themselves. Coming up with a camera that can regain the position the 500-Series had during its golden days requires technical skill as well as solid marketing competence. This will be interesting to follow.

bab

+1
How many museum are there to sell Cameras to vs consumers?
I think a to do list of improvements that make digital capture of images a better and easier workflow combats marketing HYPE!
Hasselblad has the ability to make lots of things happen within their current product range of hardware and software. Just wish or should I say HOPE the new captain charts a much different course not only with R&D but with the entire marketing structure and dealer network.
Why do all camera manufactures take a wrong turn just when you start to think they almost get it they pull a 180. IMHO none of them are much further than they were five years ago most definitely not further than ten years ago. On the other hand a person can raise 1m for a kickstarter camera strap go figure. The consumer is dying for innovation, and they will pay for it if it's real!

Chris Giles

Quite often, I wonder if the camera companies actually approach and ask ANY photographer what they need. As in, 'Based on our current body what would you like to see'? - Then, when they have a new camera, do they bother to send it for real life testing with real working pros, in enough quantity to improve it further.

And I'm not talking just those at the high end, but people shooting stuff like 50 weddings a year, off the radar, making a living.

Because I've felt that with the 1DX, 5D3, 645Z. I'd like to extend that to the Hasselblad but it's such a simple camera relative to the others that it's easier to bug hunt.

torger

Ok, the luxury b*ll is obviously not coming to an end. This does not look good. In fact I rather see Hassy dead than becoming a luxury brand with second grade function packaged in bling. Maybe soon I have to speak low of that I use Hasselblad, if people start to associate the brand with Lunar type of products, rather than real functional gear for serious photographers.

Leica has succeeded to be a luxury brand while keeping some dignity though, so it's possible, but Hassy's start has not been good, just very very embarrassing.

Jewellery, mechanical watches etc, that's suited for luxury, but digital products? I would only feel like an idiot if I spent luxury money on a digital camera which is deprecated in five years. It's just a tool.

Last edited:

Chris Giles

Ok, the luxury b*ll is obviously not coming to an end. This does not look good. In fact I rather see Hassy dead than becoming a luxury brand with second grade function packaged in bling. Maybe soon I have to speak low of that I use Hasselblad, if people start to associate the brand with Lunar type of products, rather than real functional gear for serious photographers.

Leica has succeeded to be a luxury brand while keeping some dignity though, so it's possible, but Hassy's start has not been good, just very very embarrassing.

Jewellery, mechanical watches etc, that's suited for luxury, but digital products? I would only feel like an idiot if I spent luxury money on a digital camera which is deprecated in five years. It's just a tool.
I think though it depends on how rich you are. $5 to one person is a lifeline and to another not even worth picking up from the floor.

There are some VERY rich people out there who want a blad for the glove box on their yacht.

Last edited:
I think though it depends on how right you are. $5 to one person is a lifeline and to another not even worth picking up from the floor.

There are some VERY rich people out there who want a blad for the glove box on their yacht.
To be fair, there are MUCH better cameras for use on a yacht than a Hass - a Leica S or even the plebeian Pentax 645Z are both fully weather sealed for protection against the salty atmosphere, and Pentax even has stabilized lenses for getter sharper images while the boat is moving, but in this case I think Leica's marketing will win out, you just can't out-Leica Leica.

If you run over the spec sheet of any H camera; the size, weight, shooting speed, usability and workflow quirks... it's pretty darn obvious that this camera is designed specifically for people who know what they are doing, and marketing it any differently is just a waste.

torger

We'll see how many that will pick a 'blad over Leica. Hassy's luxury items so far feels soooo very constructed, pasted onto a brand that really don't carry it well. Maybe this new CEO can reshape the brand into something else, I guess that's why he's there.

I think there are other ways for MFD than to specialize in second grade technology packaged in exclusive materials (like Vertu). CMOS opens up for broader more easy to use products, with almost the same functionality like the typical DSLR just bigger, it's just so much easier to sell at volumes to amateurs, not only professional studio workers. Much larger market. I also think the tech cam segment is under-utilized, yesterday's large format is today's tech cam with digital back and there's a lot of amateur interest there, shooting landscape.

But sure, let's pour the limited resources into making Lunar-style luxury consumer products, for those more interested in bling than in photography. In the best of worlds they won't corrupt the H line, and the luxury stuff actually sells (some do buy Vertu phones) and the profits are re-invested to keep H system competitive. I can think of many other much darker scenarios though.

A CEO of this type is not hired to have visions of photography, and actually how strange it may seem, I would have preferred that.

Chris Giles

Let's face it, Hasselblad is for all intents and purposes Fuji, other than software and the CCD.

That's not entirely a bad thing either but it surprises me Fuji never ran with MF. Personally I think MF is the future of wedding photography. Be that mirrorless MF or otherwise.

tjv

What? Fuji and Hasselblad collaborate on some things, but Hasselblad are most certainly not Fuji.

Douglas Fairbank

This is how it is, Hasselblad design and make the body (in Gothenborg), Hasselblad design the lenses and make the lens shutters. Fuji make the lenses to Hasselblad design.
I have posted a reply like this more times than I can remember in the forums but the old misunderstanding still won't die. Please, please can someone tell my why it is so hard to believe that Hasselblads are Swedish designed and made cameras. Japanese engineering is first rate but Hasselblad cameras don't look Japanese, don't feel Japanese and certainly aren't engineered in a Japanese way. I have spent my whole professional life repairing cameras and each nation has it's own style of design and build, you can tell the origin of a camera just by looking at the mechanism. It's probably the same as cars.

BANKER1

Thanks Douglas. You explained it perfectly. I, too, was mistaken on some of the facts you present. Nick T firmly corrected me, so I am glad he and you stepped up and corrected misconceptions.

Greg