The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645DF leaf shutters and cheap hss triggers as Yongnuo YN622

wagabundo

Hi!

does anybody tried to use cheap triggers with leaf shutter lenses ?

I'm looking for cheap option to sync flash with 1/800 , 1/1600 shutter speed

Yongnuo YN622 can sync up to 1/8000 so even more that I need. They are made for Canon and Nikon (TTL), but should work with 645DF as well, am I right ?

Best
Paul

kdphotography

I don't have experience with the Yongnuo brand, but it appears the YN622 is designed specifically for Nikon or Canon and utilizes hss which is not the same as faster flash syncs using leaf shutter lenses.

The difficulty in my experience is actually two-fold. With the 645DF and capable MFDB and requisite Phase SK leaf shutter lenses, you need to have lights with a short flash duration. Higher end choices are from Profoto and Broncolor. On the Toyota end of the spectrum are the Einsteins.

Triggering is the second half of the equation---if wireless triggering is what you're after. You need a wireless trigger capable of working with faster flash sync speeds. Not all work here. Profoto Air does. PWIII does with a workaround when set to fast mode. I'm sure there are a few others too. And on the Toyota end of the spectrum is the Buff Cybersync CST with Einstein Transceiver.

See, https://captureintegration.com/definitive-guide-to-medium-format-high-speed-sync/

Ken

wagabundo

Hi Ken!

flash duration of my strobes is fine. I know the limits. The question is only, does these triggers can release my leaf shutters with 1/800.

PCB have a great stuff, but I have to base on chinese hardware :/

P.

[from last moment]

I read that YN622 works great with Fuji X100S leaf shutter, so it should work with 645df. Of course we loose TTL functions.

citizin

I use the neewer tt850's with their ft16 triggers on a h3dii. They're not Yongnuo's but they are 'cheap' triggers. I've never had any issues with them syncing at 1/800th.