Site Sponsors

Thread: CFV-50 and CFV-50c SCENE CALIBRATION

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CFV-50 and CFV-50c SCENE CALIBRATION

I assume that the users of the HASSELBLAD CFV-50c use PHOCUS 2.8.3 and also use the scene calibration tool . Successfully .

I don't have a CFV-50c but a CFV-50 .

I am using CFV-39 and CFV-50 files and experience an issue in PHOCUS 2.8.3 when using the scene calibration tool .
    I can create an LCC image , any naming , but can not correct the "color cast" and the "equalize intensity" function does not work either using the before created LCC correction image . PHOCUS sits there just doing nothing .
    The same issue exists when using an already existing LCC correction image .

Using the same procedures as above works fine in PHOCUS 2.8.2

Is there anyone out there also working with CFV-39 or CFV-50 additional to the new CFV-50c files and experienes the same issue as described ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CFV-50 and CFV-50c SCENE CALIBRATION

Hi Jurgen,
    I'm only playing with Phocus as don't currently own a back, but I've been experiencing an issue that I thought might be related to lack of disk space. I'm way behind in back up and only have about 3gigs left. Yikes!
    Anyway, when I run a scene calibration and / or edit the image tonality, the view doesn't refresh unless I click off of the image then click back on. The little thumbnail refreshes, but the image doesn't unless I do this. Is this what you're experiencing?

Post Thanks / Like

I have Phocus 2.8.3 and a H4D-50 (same sensor as CFV-50) and have successfully applied LCC. Maybe there's some issue with your installation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have 12GB of RAM .

I can partially reproduce the symptoms Tim describes .

@ Torger

I experience the issue on two independant systems in absolutely the same way .
    On MAC PRO and iMAC both running at OSX 10.10.1
    I will try to deinstall PHOCUS completely and reinstall .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have deinstalled PHOCUS 2.8.2 and 2.8.3
    Then installed 2.8.3 again . The issue remains as described above . Removed 2.8.3 and installed PHOCUS 2.8.2 . Scene calibration runs fine again .

As this happens independant on two differnet systems , I can hardly imagine a systembug .

Any other ideas ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Jürgen, it wouldn't be the first time there was a bug in a new Phocus release.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no issues applying LCC to my 50c files. I am running Phocus v2.8.3 with Windows 7 Professional.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Jürgen, it wouldn't be the first time there was a bug in a new Phocus release.
    Well, that's that theory blown out of the water ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I have no issues applying LCC to my 50c files. I am running Phocus v2.8.3 with Windows 7 Professional.
    Hello Darr

Yes , that is what I expected , because of your very detailed report . But you are using a CFV-50c . I use a CFV-50 and I believe there will be some format differences .

It would be very helpful if someone also using a CFV-50 or CFV-39 could try the scene calibration in PHOCUS 2.8.3 .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Hello Darr

Yes , that is what I expected , because of your very detailed report . But you are using a CFV-50c . I use a CFV-50 and I believe there will be some format differences .

It would be very helpful if someone also using a CFV-50 or CFV-39 could try the scene calibration in PHOCUS 2.8.3 .
    Jürgen,

I am sorry to hear about this and hope it gets resolved sooner than later. After using Sigma's poorly designed SPP program for Foveon files for about 2 years now, I do know how a RAW processor can make post-processing a bit miserable. Have you contacted Hasselblad?

Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Darr for your kind reply .
    HASSELBLAD has a very intransparent software support structure , at least here in Germany and also had a stuff cut down . (Again)
    I passed the issue on to a "Service Representitive" , obviously a free lancer and you never get any feedback .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I'm experiencing the problems you describe on 50c AND 50 files, so I don't think it's anything to do with the file format.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Tim . Good to know .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

While it could be related to the file format, it seems unlikely as file format decoding should already have taken place. My guess as a software developer is that there's some bug related to calibration file storage, it doesn't find the files again after having saved them or something like that. A bug in any case which should be reported back to Hasselblad. Would be nice if they had a public bug reporting system :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    While it could be related to the file format, it seems unlikely as file format decoding should already have taken place. My guess as a software developer is that there's some bug related to calibration file storage, it doesn't find the files again after having saved them or something like that. A bug in any case which should be reported back to Hasselblad. Would be nice if they had a public bug reporting system :-)
    Hello Torger
    Your logic sounds good to me . Thanks .
    "Would be nice if they had a public bug reporting system :-)"
    Yes , true , and I doubt , that reporting customers will ever get an answer .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

I sent an email today, too. Not sure if it was the correct address, but hopefully it'll get through!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    I sent an email today, too. Not sure if it was the correct address, but hopefully it'll get through!
    Good luck , Tim .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just to let you all know, I got a reply from Hasselblad service who have said they are working on a patch and in the mean time sent me a link to download an interim fix.
    If you haven't already been sent this link, let me know. I will find out a way to send it to you.
    Tim
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Tim for your update .
    HASSELBLAD Germany seems to be in a deep hibernation .
    After two E-Mails , I don't even know that my issue description has been forwarded . What a shame .

So please go ahead and send me more information . Thank you .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

No problem, I'll send it to you after work.

Thank you Tim for your update .
    HASSELBLAD Germany seems to be in a deep hibernation .
    After two E-Mails , I don't even know that my issue description has been forwarded . What a shame .

So please go ahead and send me more information . Thank you .

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I'm sending it now via wesendit.com

Post Thanks / Like

PS: I sent my report through the Hasselblad.co.uk address, under the service dropdown of their website. I got a reply within 20mins, and an update and link to the patch within another two hours!
    I must say, Hasselblad UK have been excellent whenever I've contacted them for info. They've even gone out and shot photos for me and sent RAW files so I can process them in my own workflow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim

You gave me a service HASSELBLAD Germany should have given me .
    Up to now I have no answer from them .

I have installed the sent FIX . It actually results in PHOCUS 2.8.3+ being installed . And . . . . . . the problem is solved .

Many thanks to you and HASSELBLAD CO.UK
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

I think the MF manufacturers need to change their model to have fewer but larger support centers. It's a global world and I don't really care if service is in Stockholm or London, it's the quality of service that matters. I had the same problem with Leaf, the geographically nearest dealer which I was directed to could not provide adequate service and it took a lot of figuring to find a dealer that actually could provide it.

The thing is that the local providers are often small and understaffed, and if you use your camera in some niche use case (which scene calibration is) the local dealer may not even know what you're talking about.

Great to know that Hasselblad UK is responsive, so you have someone to turn to when the local dealer won't reply. I've heard representatives from Hasselblad UK has been to Linhof Studio to educate themselves in large format so the probably have good knowledge in the tech cam use case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Torger , I think you are right .

One exception though , I did not contact a local dealer , but I contacted HASSELBLAD Germany and their responsiveness is very very poor .

The issue is obviously known since quite some time , because the temporary fix has a creation date of January 12 , 2015 .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, great to know it solved your problems, too.
    I don't know why, but for some reason I can only connect to the Hasselblad UK site, not the older .com site which I used to visit. The links etc are quite different, from memory. Anyway, I have always received prompt answers when sending them emails, even though I am just a pesky tyre kicker!

Tim

You gave me a service HASSELBLAD Germany should have given me .
    Up to now I have no answer from them .

I have installed the sent FIX . It actually results in PHOCUS 2.8.3+ being installed . And . . . . . . the problem is solved .

Many thanks to you and HASSELBLAD CO.UK

Post Thanks / Like

It's common for MF users to be tyre kickers a few years before they commit :-). And when they commit it can be second hand gear for a few years before buying new stuff... good dealers that think long-term know this and provides service to them all.

Post Thanks / Like

I look back with pleasure to a time when Hasselblad had a representative here on GetDPI in the form of David Grover ;-)
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    PS: I sent my report through the Hasselblad.co.uk address, under the service dropdown of their website. I got a reply within 20mins, and an update and link to the patch within another two hours!
    I must say, Hasselblad UK have been excellent whenever I've contacted them for info. They've even gone out and shot photos for me and sent RAW files so I can process them in my own workflow!

Tim

Did they say , when the patch will be implemented into PHOCUS and then , when the next version of PHOCUS will be available . ? ? ?

No answer from HASSELBLAD GERMANY yet .
    I think , their support structure will change . HASSELBLAD should let their customers know to avoid confusion like this one here .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jurgen,
    No, just that they were aware of the problem and that the DMG file they sent me would fix the problem in the meantime.
    Yes, it seems Hasselblad Germany need to sort a few things out!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HASSELBLAD PHOCUS 2.8.4 is available now .
    I have already installed it and the scene calibration issue is solved .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post