The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D Tackles the American West

SeattleDucks

Hi All,

I have benefited much from the advice on these forums, especially those who have discussed their experience with the 645D and various lenses, so wanted to share the results of acquiring a like-new barely touched 645D last spring and taking it on a multi-month trek across the West of the US. I began shooting in South Dakota in June, and continued westward making images in several different states, ending with autumn in SW Utah.

Most of the lenses were picked up used on eBay and I settled on a system consisting of 35mm A, 45-85mm A, 80-160mm A, 120mm macro A, 200mm A, and the autofocus 300/5.6 and 400/5.6. Lightroom 5 was used for development.

The 645D has exceeded my expectations. The 4:3 aspect ratio suits my vision very well, and the quality of the files gives me a similar feeling of satisfaction compared to my film days shooting 645N, 67II, and 4x5 field cameras.

I'm thankful to all on this forum who have shared knowledge and experience that helped me decide to make this plunge!

Cheers,
Ross

SeattleDucks

Thank you Uaiomex! It's been a true joy to visit these places, and the 645D felt like an old friend, very intuitive to work with. It has worked so well for me that I decided to pick up the 645Z also but haven't had a chance to take it out in the field yet.

Ross

Ken_R

Awesome shots. Thx for posting! Definitely worthy of printing/selling and exhibiting them. Good stuff.