The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just pulled the trigger..

stephengilbert

Yes, Doug, provide what's asked right now. Stop whatever you're doing, and get it done.

Voidshatter has a right to those downloads immediately, and your failure to provide them is simply rude. We certainly don't want people here to be rude.

My P45+ was pretty much an iso 50 max 100 back.
The P45+ only has two native ISO settings: 50 and 100. Anything else is just extended (pushing).
I have shot my 260 up to 15 minutes and was not impressed at iso140.
Even worse, the ISO 140 at which the IQ260 is running in long exposure mode is indeed ISO 200 (a pulling down to ISO 140, I also have hard evidence for this).
I believe both Pentax and Hasselblad both allow the photographer to turn on the dark frame, something Phase does not. (at least that was case last time I checked).
You can disable darkframe NR on IQ2 backs on a technical camera, if you set "Aerial" in "Camera mode" and "Zero" in "Shutter latency".
I don't think that the 260 can come close to the 250/150 at 1 hour. Based on my work, I feel that P45+ might actually come closer, if the conditions allow it.
Based on my calculations you are right.
But, the 260 offers a lot more of what I need in the field most of the time, than MY P45+ did, so for me it was a good move. I had long ago decided that for my night work, 35mm DSLR's make better sense.

Paul
The IQ260 does offer more flexibility when it suits your needs. I am just disappointed with the image quality in long exposure mode.

Steve Hendrix

Would you mind sharing a link to download please? :cool: These have to be under the same condition, same time and location, same composition, same amount of highlight details.

I don't think I saw anywhere that Doug was claiming IQ260 files at long exposure were equal or better than P45+ long exposures. And if I was asked, I would say they are not. As most IQ260 users know, what the IQ260 primarily does is extend the exposure time longer than, say, an IQ160 does, and produces a very usable file in those situations. But it is not as noise/grain free as a P45+ or IQ150/250 file at long exposures. Did anyone say this?

Despite that, it does indeed provide usable files at long exposures that would not be usable from an IQ160, etc.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

I don't think I saw anywhere that Doug was claiming IQ260 files at long exposure were equal or better than P45+ long exposures. And if I was asked, I would say they are not. As most IQ260 users know, what the IQ260 primarily does is extend the exposure time longer than, say, an IQ160 does, and produces a very usable file in those situations. But it is not as noise/grain free as a P45+ or IQ150/250 file at long exposures. Did anyone say this?

Despite that, it does indeed provide usable files at long exposures that would not be usable from an IQ160, etc.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Thank you Steve! You have just earned my respect by speaking the truth as an honest dealer!

According to my tests, the IQ260 only does a better job in the dedicated long exposure mode (at ISO 140) for >2 minutes when compared against the IQ160. To sum up:

less than 2 minutes: IQ250 > IQ260 (@ ISO 50) = IQ160 >= P45+ > IQ260 LE (@ ISO 140)
more than 2 minutes: IQ250 > P45+ > IQ260 LE (@ ISO 140) > IQ260 (@ ISO 50) = IQ160

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
From an historical perspective, what was interesting as an IQ160 user frustrated with the < 60s long exposure capabilities, I had a couple of options for how to get proper long exposure support (which realistically is normally extending to a few mins or maybe < 20 mins) for approximately the same financial outlay:

1) Keep the IQ160 and buy a P45+ as a second back just for long exposures.
2) Upgrade from IQ160 -> IQ260 and have a single back with the same UI and some other options but MUCH MUCH better long exposure capabilities vs IQ160 but not as good as a dedicated P45+ could achieve.

Now of course, two years later or so, we have the CMOS option which obviously can spank the Dalsa CCD's capabilities. If you were making this choice today then obviously the CMOS backs are very very compelling.

Chris Valites

Hey Rick,

Just wanted to pipe in here and say that I'm happy you like the gear! Glad I was able to test everything for you before it went out to ensure it was all working in peak shape.

Chris Valites
Capture Integration