The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just pulled the trigger..

Zerimar

Just upgrade my beloved P45+ to an IQ150 H mount back.. Placed the order Wednesday and am not waiting on the back to come from Denmark :D:D:D:D

I wanted to thank everyone on the forum who helped me reach this decision as I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the 150, 250, and 260 before I made the decision..

Can't wait to get the back and go shoot with it.

Egor

Rick, we're right up the coast from you. We bought our IQ250 last year and its a remarkable piece of gear. We put it right to work on a wide variety of tasks and it has performed very well. We are still learning things about it, but overall, great back and system. Good choice!

PS: Your work is stunning! :)

Zerimar

Got the back in yesterday.. so far loving it. I can't believe I how much of an improvement everything is over my dated P45+... can't wait to shoot with it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Got the back in yesterday.. so far loving it. I can't believe I how much of an improvement everything is over my dated P45+... can't wait to shoot with it.
What's remarkable about the P45/P45+ is how well it has held up in image quality given that that series was first sold in 2005. Ten years, in digital terms, an eternity. Yet it still holds up very well (nah, exceeds) when compared to the 5DIII that I use as a second camera on wedding shoot.

That said, it's been ten years, and both in terms of sensor and interface, the IQ150/IQ250/Credo50 is a big step forward.

The interface on the IQ/IQ2/Credo series, I still feel, is years ahead of the competition. Responsive, fast, and intuitive touch screen interface. Direct-to-100% zoom by tapping exactly where in the frame you want to review. Fast processing such that shooting several images in a row (tethered or untethered) results in no meaningful delay in reviewing the most recent image. Built in custom-threshold Focus Masking with instant change from one image to another for minute comparison of changes like adding tilt (once both have been cached). Custom-set exposure warning which can (optionally) be set to only show in the side-thumbnail, thereby not obfuscating the view of the main image. 2 axis level including numerical readout for maximum accuracy, and recorded into metadata for automatic correction of both horizon and perspective in Capture One. Rapidly scrollable thumbnails. Ratings and color tags that transfer to C1 Editing. Grids and guides with a bunch of options including custom cross hair. Native compatibility to Capture One with both USB3 and FW for fast, stable, feature-rich tethering.

And of course for this back, great live view.

We, as dealers, get very used to these features since we've had them for 4 years. But anytime we get someone in that has never seen them before it's a treat to see them explore for the first time.

When I shoot with the 5DIII it's not uncommon when I'm busy that I'll forget and try to double tap the screen to check focus. Usually I catch myself before the second tap.

But anyway.....

:worthless:

You made the right choice. If you chose the IQ260 you would have been disappointed with the long exposure. It can do no where near as good as the P45+ does. The IQ150 can be an upgrade for the P45+.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Right, that IQ 260 is just crap. All the experts say so, over and over.
I use mine mounted on the Alpa as a door stop. The small size and density make it ideal for keeping my office door open. The schneider lenses also are handy too as paperweights. :chug:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I use mine mounted on the Alpa as a door stop. The small size and density make it ideal for keeping my office door open. The schneider lenses also are handy too as paperweights. :chug:
Indeed. I used to take actual long exposures with the IQ260. We even did IQ260 long exposure testing to show how good they were.

Personally I thought the results, at 8 minutes, under non-ideal lighting, with difficult dark subject matter with lots of detail, were pretty darn good.

But now that I've heard it's crap for long exposures, we'd better just keep those backs in our safe.

Steve Hendrix

Rick, we're glad you're happy with it, and appreciate your patience for the delivery. The 150 is a nice upgrade from the P45+.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

yaya

The schneider lenses also are handy too as paperweights. :chug:
They're crap as paperweights...you should have gone the Rodenstock route as they're heavier so can hold a lot more paper...

Anyways, what kind of paper are we talking about????