The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I just wrote up my experiences with the Pentax 645z

ErikKaffehr

I'm in competion, 18 kg including tripod, but I also carry a 135 kit… and don't walk very far.

Regarding the Otus, it is very large but that is probably due to the large aperture and the Distagon design. Sony has a 55/1.8 which is almost as sharp but quite small.

The Otus is extremely sharp, even in the corners sharp enough to show moiré at full aperture in the corners of a 36 MP sensor.

The caption says edge but it really corner:

I might ending up buying the Otus 85/1.4. I really want a large aperture 85 that is sharp across at full aperture. I would be more than happy with an 85/2 performing like the Zeiss 135/2.0 APO. I don't feel 135 mm is working for me.

Best regards
Erik

Meanwhile I think it's kind of cool having the largest backpack in the group when going on a hike. 13.5kg MFD gear...

On the other hand, if lenses are going in the Otus direction, ie more and more complex to deliver pixel peep joy to high density sensors, gear won't be lightweight...

Last edited:

fotografz

Hi everyone, for any that are interested I just published a series of posts on the Pentax 645z.

It isn't hugely technical but covers weddings and portraiture, CCD vs CMOS, Dynamic range, Image quality, Weatherproofing and the Flash solutions.

If after reading you want to know anything else I've otherwise missed please ask away in the comments.

Pentax 645z Review by Chris Giles Chris Giles Photography Blog
Chris, I was remiss in not complimenting you on your photography including your wedding images ... no matter what was used or how you used it.

My only disconnect was depicting volume of images as a necessary tactic to arrive at insightful work ... more by other's comments than yours.

My parting comment is one from a favorite photographer who inspired me in my own efforts to be discriminating and decisive ... sometimes to good result, sometimes not;)

“It’s about reacting to what you see, hopefully without preconception. You can find pictures anywhere. It’s simply a matter of noticing things and organizing them. You just have to care about what’s around you and have a concern with humanity and the human comedy. ” - Elliott Erwitt

All the best,

- Marc

algrove

Chris
Thanks for all your hard work on this camera. I have used one and like your first experience had a hard time sending it back.

Lens questions.

I see you often use the 150. Have you tried the V Hassy 150 with adapter on the 645Z? I see MThein liked it although it seems he does not currently own a 645Z. Also doesn't the cropped size of the 645Z sensor versus the old Hassy V bodies make the Hassy lenses actually longer by some percent? Or do I have this wrong?

Is the quality of the 75/2.8 OK or would you say the 55/2.8 is much better.

Some like the new 90/2.8 macro which could be a nice portrait lens I guess. Have you had a chance to try this lens?

Thanks.

Chris Giles

Chris
Thanks for all your hard work on this camera. I have used one and like your first experience had a hard time sending it back.

Lens questions.

I see you often use the 150. Have you tried the V Hassy 150 with adapter on the 645Z? I see MThein liked it although it seems he does not currently own a 645Z. Also doesn't the cropped size of the 645Z sensor versus the old Hassy V bodies make the Hassy lenses actually longer by some percent? Or do I have this wrong?

Is the quality of the 75/2.8 OK or would you say the 55/2.8 is much better.

Some like the new 90/2.8 macro which could be a nice portrait lens I guess. Have you had a chance to try this lens?

Thanks.
Hi Algrove, I've not used any V lenses with this. The smaller sensor will make a lens longer. So the 90mm Macro you mentioned will have the reach of something more like a 100mm.

I would say based on the prime lenses all are equally excellent with little between each although the 150 and 200 have fringing if you blow the highlights. The 200 being much worse than the 150 in this regard. The zooms are very good too.

I've not had the chance to use the 90mm either but I've heard it's a legend in the making. I tried contacting Mark Cheetam at Ricoh UK a couple of times now in order to see how I can work better with Pentax but I've not had a reply from him and have since stopped trying.

On this basis it's unlikely I'll be able to pass comment on the 90mm Macro, 28-45 Zoom or any upcoming lenses because I have (for the most part) lenses that cover this range and they're a big outlay to buy on a whim. ;)

Last edited:

algrove

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I have used the Canon 5D3 and 70-200 for portraiture work in the past. Based on using the 645Z, I am now hoping the 80-160 can suffice in similar situations, but find most prefer the 150/2.8 for portait work as it is stellar. I read that the high end of the 80-160 is the weakest end, with the 80-100 range being the best.

Any findings/comments about this on your end?

Chris Giles

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I have used the Canon 5D3 and 70-200 for portraiture work in the past. Based on using the 645Z, I am now hoping the 80-160 can suffice in similar situations, but find most prefer the 150/2.8 for portait work as it is stellar. I read that the high end of the 80-160 is the weakest end, with the 80-100 range being the best.

Any findings/comments about this on your end?
I would stick with the 150mm myself but I've not really had any issues with the 80-160. It's not something I would use for portraiture. My preference is to the 120 Macro or the 150mm.

I guess it depends on how much you feel certain elements affect your images. A prime is always nicer than using a zoom imho but if you are used to using them then the 80-160 is very good. However it is a lens with production variance. I had one that wasn't as good as the second one I bought but what I have now is exceptionally sharp and renders very well.

I still won't use it for headshots though, although I may do today for my 4.45 :D

Thanks for the review! I too am looking at the Z for my wedding and portrait work. I currently shoot film alongside digital Nikons. The Z will more closely match my 645 film images in rendering which is what makes it attractive. Plus 4:3 > 3:2 for my work.

My question is how now has the Z fit into your workflow along side your digital 35mm system? Do you find that you use the Z more than those cameras or is it really just for the most important images of the day? Also how has the 50mp file fit into your workflow?

Chris Giles

My question is how now has the Z fit into your workflow along side your digital 35mm system? Do you find that you use the Z more than those cameras or is it really just for the most important images of the day? Also how has the 50mp file fit into your workflow?
Good question.

Right now I'll be using it as a main body. I'll be perfectly frank here, I can see myself depending on it more and more. Certain things like inside a church, the ceremony or the dance floor shots I think I'll still settle on the 5DSr on launch.

The 1Dx though, that's looking like it'll be on it's way out.

The nice thing to note though is that I shoot interiors (sometimes) and I need the ultra wide angle, the new 11-24L combined with a 5DSr will be a perfect combo with the 645z. I still prefer to stitch and shoot longer where possible and I've only just discovered the program PTgui which stitches so much better than photoshop.

I'm starting to ramble off course a bit. I don't think I'll go exclusively Pentax, but 75% of the wedding for sure. Some things like truly silent operation is needed (like the ceremony) and good low light AF (dancefloor) will need the Canon kit.

From the point of view of a more average user, the Z has almost entirely replaced my Canon kit as a general-purpose camera, and once Pentax outs a stabilized standard zoom I'll be all-in. I can still see myself using a smaller format for those rare times I need fast and discreet shooting.

My 2011 iMac is definitely feeling the burn when working the files in Lightroom or Photoshop, so it's high time I upgraded to something with SSDs and USB3. And more storage. Oh, look at that, only 16 shots on the card? 1GB already used up. ~520 shot capacity on a 32gig card, they didn't put in two slots for nothing. Make sure your computer is up to snuff is what I'm saying.

From the point of view of a more average user, the Z has almost entirely replaced my Canon kit as a general-purpose camera, and once Pentax outs a stabilized standard zoom I'll be all-in. I can still see myself using a smaller format for those rare times I need fast and discreet shooting.

My 2011 iMac is definitely feeling the burn when working the files in Lightroom or Photoshop, so it's high time I upgraded to something with SSDs and USB3. And more storage. Oh, look at that, only 16 shots on the card? 1GB already used up. ~520 shot capacity on a 32gig card, they didn't put in two slots for nothing. Make sure your computer is up to snuff is what I'm saying.
Thanks! I'm using a fully spec'd but still 2009 i7 iMac. It needs to be replaced with the new 5k. But man-o-man we're talking new iMac cost and new Pentax cost. This is going to hurt. I might just have to wait on one or the other honestly. Too many upgrades at one time.

Chris Giles

Last question!

How have you found the AF? Can it reliably track a slow moving target, and how is it back lit?
It's very good. I tried it with a model walking towards me in the woods, a same sex couple walking away from me and a couple of newly weds walking towards me from the church.

Only thing that trips it up is that the af points are close together, so any creative framing goes out of the window.