The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Image circle of the Hasselblad H lenses on Alpa FPS and Shift adapter?

joelorbita

I recently saw the Alpa Shift adapter for Hasselblad H lenses

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Photokina 2014

and was wondering if anybody had information on the image circle of these lenses?

They obviously have a much larger image circle than 645 otherwise a "shift" adapter would be pointless..

I noticed a similar post by "kimyeesan" and see that "chrismuc" has had access to a preproduction version of the Contax 645 shift adapter and these results look very impressive!!

The one difference that I am wondering between these two camera systems (presuming that both have suitable image circles to be used with the shift adapter), is whether the Hasselblad H lenses will flash sync at their maximum sync speed on the Alpa FPS (using the lenses leaf shutters), even when using full shift on the Alpa adapter?

If so, that would be very cool indeed

Thanks so much, if anybody has any information, would be greatly appreciated!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tbh the flash sync speed of the Hasselblad lenses will be irrelevant for the FPS since the leaf shutter won't be used.

Can't provide any guidance on the image circles though ... interested to know that kind of info myself but it'll be lens dependent obviously.

gerald.d

Tbh the flash sync speed of the Hasselblad lenses will be irrelevant for the FPS since the leaf shutter won't be used.

Can't provide any guidance on the image circles though ... interested to know that kind of info myself but it'll be lens dependent obviously.
Hi Graham -

You sure about that? Alpa's site mentions that both focal plane and leaf shutters are controllable -

Together with this adapter on your ALPA 12 FPS you can:

enjoy a seamless integration of both shutter types
control the lens aperture and both shutters in steps of 1, 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4
Kind regards,

Gerald.

joelorbita

Wow! That is awesome! You are ahead of the game with your modifications sir!

Were you able to flash sync with the Hasselblad lenses at 1/800 second? If so, did it work after having shifted the lens?

Would love to see some samples if you have any? Particularly the 24mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm lenses.. Also the 110mm f2.2 lens if possible?

What are your thoughts? Do you think these lenses will do well on the new Alpa Shift adapter?

Thanks for your input, look forward to your thoughts!

Geoff

In conversation with Alpa about the shift adapter, the discussion was about the Rollei lenses, also designed originally for 6x6. They said their shift adapter did 12mm in each direction, including both to make a diagonal shift. And that the leaf shutter was used up to 1/500, and then the focal plane shutter kicked in. Don't know if this is the same for Hassy lenses, but it gives you an idea. They are pretty careful people in their work.

joelorbita

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for that information, good to know! :)

One thing, whilst the Rollei lenses were indeed designed for 6 x 6, the Hasselblad H lenses are designed for 6 x 4.5, hence the original query of wanting to know what the "useable image circle" of these lenses are..

As "chrismuc" has pointed out in another thread, the Contax 645 lenses have a much larger useable image circle than the 6cm x 4.5cm format they were originally made to go on..

Good news about the leaf shutter, lets hope it is the same for the Hasselblad H lenses!

Like yourself, I am pretty confident in these adapters and the quality of lenses chosen, due to the high level of precision and detail seen in other Alpa products :)

joelorbita

Hi,
Just thought I would update this thread and see if there was anymore information on this subject?

I saw this company was now offering this product for sale...

https://www.digitalback.com/product/alpa-12-fps-adapter-hasselblad-h-shift/

and they offer this in the description...

"The leaf shutter of the H lenses can be used up to 1/800 sec. The focal plane shutter enhances this seamless up to 1/4000 sec.

Shift left/right and rise/fall of 12 mm. The effectively usable image circle is limited by the lens."

So it seems that the sync speed is confirmed but the image circle of the Hasselblad H lenses is still somewhat unknown..

Would love to know what the 24mm, 28mm and 35mm would cover..