Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IQ250 movement tests on the 23/32/40/70/90 - desaturation and mazing artifact

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ250 movement tests on the 23/32/40/70/90 - desaturation and mazing artifact

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Mazing occurs because the demosaicer expects green 1 and green 2 to be the same on a uniform surface, but due to crosstalk they separate and then the demosaicer starts to make up detail. The greens differs because one of the greens get most it leaks from the neighboring red and the other from the blue. Of course if you're lucky and the color you're shooting has equal red and blue content (on the raw level), green1&2 will not separate.
    Funny enough... I didn't really get into pixel peeping until I moved into the world of MFDB. Today I went back to my old files taken by a Nikon D4 and a Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR (link to download RAW as evidence), and guess what - I observed mazing! This isn't really a high resolution sensor or a tilt-shift lens. I guess mazing is just a fact of life, but we are too harsh about the MFDB!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ250 movement tests on the 23/32/40/70/90 - desaturation and mazing artifact

Strange, I've never seen that in any Nikon files I've shot. How hard did you push the file?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voidshatter View Post
    Funny enough... I didn't really get into pixel peeping until I moved into the world of MFDB. Today I went back to my old files taken by a Nikon D4 and a Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR (link to download RAW as evidence), and guess what - I observed mazing! This isn't really a high resolution sensor or a tilt-shift lens. I guess mazing is just a fact of life, but we are too harsh about the MFDB!
    I think that's a special case with some reflection phenomenon occurring to due to the very sharp light source on the edge of a ultra-wide. There's no mazing on the opposite side. I also think the effect may be strengthened due to the narrow band light source. I would be surprised if that effect occurs in a scene with more normal light.

Post Thanks / Like

With NX2 (version 2.4.6) it looks different. Here are 2 screenshots.

Post Thanks / Like

So... just to turn this on its head - if I wanted the mazing artifact to appear - what is the best conditions to make it happen?!

I see some interesting examples in your initial post, and I'd like to recreate it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an IQ250/CFV-50c the simplest way is to use a symmetrical wide angle and shift it a bit, and if you have retrofocus rodie wides then shift it quite a bit

Different demosaicers have different sensitivity concerning green split, if you want something really sensitive try "DCB" in RawTherapee, then mazing will appear early on. Capture One and Phocus demosaicers are quite robust, but eventually break down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voidshatter View Post
    Current prediction:

c) NX1 tech in 645 format: 141 MP, current Rodenstock HR and Schneider XL probably usable (but DR will be less)

Personally I would hope for the last one but given that it's still in APSC size as of 2015 it might still take 4 years or longer to realize (it took 4 years from D7000 to IQ250).
    The NX1 does not contain a Sony sensor, AFAIK Samsung have no desire to enter the medium format sensor fabrication business.

Post Thanks / Like

But what about the Fuji GX680?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ