Site Sponsors

Thread: Help on 32HR FPS and T/S Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Help on 32HR FPS and T/S Adapter

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and also tech Cam. Currently I own a ALPA MAX and I am about to pull the trigger to order some lenses. Here is my Shopping Cart.

1) 32HR FPS
    2) 50HR SB34
    3) 90HR SB34

I understand I can use two 17mm T/S Adapters to achieve the 34mm 'spacer' for both 50HR and 90HR but what if I want to maintain tilt/swing capability for the 32HR FPS on the MAX?

what adaptor(s) should I get or I must use the 32HR in SB17 mount?

Thanks

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Help on 32HR FPS and T/S Adapter

For the MAX you would want the 32 in SB17 mount.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clie700c View Post
    Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and also tech Cam. Currently I own a ALPA MAX and I am about to pull the trigger to order some lenses. Here is my Shopping Cart.

1) 32HR FPS
    2) 50HR SB34
    3) 90HR SB34

I understand I can use two 17mm T/S Adapters to achieve the 34mm 'spacer' for both 50HR and 90HR but what if I want to maintain tilt/swing capability for the 32HR FPS on the MAX?

what adaptor(s) should I get or I must use the 32HR in SB17 mount?

Thanks
    From what I've gathered, ALPA is trying to push the HR32 in FPS mount because they've got stock sitting in Switzerland, they'll tell you that the SB17 version will take a lot longer to deliver.

However, if you're using the MAX, there's no reason at all to go for the FPS version, you'll want the SB17 so you can use one of your 17mm T/S adapters when using the HR32.

If you take the FPS version, you'll again need an extra spacer, which make no sense at all for your setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I respectfully disagree with the above statement , a 32 HR in FPS mount will give you the option of using this spectacular lens on both cameras granted you buy the adapter that lets the FPS connector to be mounted on the Max.
    It's a perfect focal length line up given that that got both cameras ( max and fps) so why limit your options go for the FPS mounted 32 HR IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Because of the depth of the FPS, you use the FPS 17 T/S adapter for lenses in SB34 mounts if you want to T/S them (on the FPS). So, you can't T/S the 32 on the FPS. If you want to use T/S, get it in the standard SB17 mount for the Max, and then add the 17 T/S adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this thread certainly took a turn for the weird.

If your requirement is to tilt the 32HR on a max, I'm pretty sure the folks at ALPA are not going to try to force you into buying one in an FPS mount.

What a bizarre thing to come out with.

The OP should just stop reading after Graham's succinct reply.

Kind regards

Gerald.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beano_z View Post
    From what I've gathered, ALPA is trying to push the HR32 in FPS mount because they've got stock sitting in Switzerland, they'll tell you that the SB17 version will take a lot longer to deliver.
    Just gave them a call and this statement is pure propaganda. SB17 and SB17 FPS are sold out and both backorder for the next two weeks at least and until new production batches arrive and get tested piece by piece.

If somebody is planning for the FPS and tilt is not needed it is of course the right decision to jump onto the bandwagon and buy the FPS version right away. Future-proof...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Erroneous original post reads: My 32HR FPS mount works perfectly, with 17mm FPS tilt adapter, with 17mm intermediate adapter on STC. If I understand Alpa 12 system correctly, Max is same body thickness as STC.

Correction: Actual situation is: FPS mount SB17 version of HR32 cannot be tilted on any Alpa body at present.
    It fits directly to my FPS.
    It fits via Intermediate adapter 17mm to my STC.

My FPS 17mm T/S adapter allows me use my SB34 lenses on the FPS, permitting tilt;
    and allows tilt of SB34 lenses on STC with the Intermediate adapter.

I love my Alpa gear, but often need to stop and think through the complexity of the parts when changing from FPS and FPS fittings to standard stuff.
    Last edited by Nutcracker; 13th February 2015 at 00:10. Reason: Big error in my post, sorry it can only have added confusion, mistake of posting while falling asleep!! woken by guilty feel!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alpenblick View Post
    Just gave them a call and this statement is pure propaganda. SB17 and SB17 FPS are sold out and both backorder for the next two weeks at least and until new production batches arrive and get tested piece by piece.

If somebody is planning for the FPS and tilt is not needed it is of course the right decision to jump onto the bandwagon and buy the FPS version right away. Future-proof...
    Sorry, I should correct my statement to "ALPA China", which is their sole distributor for China and HK. This happened in october last year, and I've got emails on this, but that's far off topic so no need to share it here.

BTW, I'm just giving these facts as background towards the question in the OP, end of story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
    My 32HR FPS mount works perfectly, with 17mm FPS tilt adapter, with 17mm intermediate adapter on STC. If I understand Alpa 12 system correctly, Max is same body thickness as STC.
    That is an extremely confusing post.

The "regular" cameras have the hooks to mount to regular lenses.

The 32HR FPS has hooks so that it can mount directly to the FPS.

You need an adapter - 17mm - between an FPS mount lens and any of the other cameras.

That adapter is this one:

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Intermediate 17 mm adapter

Note - no hooks on either side. Use that with the 32HR FPS mount, and it will indeed work brilliantly with the regular cameras. But you have no facility to tilt.

Any combination of adapters greater than 17mm will mean you won't be able to reach infinity focus with an SB17 lens on a regular camera.

The FPS Tilt/Swing adapter has hooks on BOTH sides so that it can connect a lens with a regular mount to the FPS. You can't connect the FPS mount lens to it, and you can't connect it to a regular camera without the use of additional adapters.

What you can do is use the FPS Tilt/Swing adapter along with the 17mm adapter and a REGULAR mount SB34 lens (such as the 50mm or 90mm HR SB34's for example) to provide tilt/swing on the regular cameras.

What you're actually claiming to have is a combination of equipment that works for you, that not only is impossible to connect together, but even if it did, would not provide infinity focus.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerald, you are absolutely correct, I had already realised my most confusing error and had amended my post in hope of reducing the inevitable confusion.

Your post, as usual is very helpfully precise and clear.
    Regards
    Sean