The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus DB 1st Deliveries & Review

Pemihan

Great review Steve. Do you know if it at some point will be possible to mount lenses in Cambo WRS mount?

jlm

Workshop Member
peter:
i had asked the same thing. slim chance for a few reasons:

the WRS mounts include the focusing helicoid, moving the lens further away from the sensor. might still work, but wide angles would be the test. the Actus lenses have no helicoid.

Last edited:

Don Libby

The ability to mount my existing WRS lenses was also my first question. If that can happen then what a great companion to the WRS! I'd actually give it some serious thoughts.

fmueller

peter:

the WRS mounts include the focusing helicoid, moving the lens further away from the sensor. might still work, but wide angles would be the test. the Actus lenses have no helicoid.
Hmm... I had to have a lens board and crash bars replaced on a SK 35. $1400USD. Yah, I thought that was kind of a premium price... I can only imagine the price tag on a T/S board and helical mount.

Maybe this means mounted lenses on an Actus DB wil be significantly less expensive than tech cam mounts??

Personally, I would still prefer tech cam for portability and ease of use (words not normally associated with tech cams!)

Pemihan

peter:

That's true, but then you could just move the lens further back towards the BD on tha Actus, no?

Geoff

There's probably an issue with min distance, say for the 35mm or smaller. Often these require recessed lens boards, and while the Actus looks like the standards can go very close, a helical on the wide angle lenses might move them out too far.

Steve Hendrix

There's probably an issue with min distance, say for the 35mm or smaller. Often these require recessed lens boards, and while the Actus looks like the standards can go very close, a helical on the wide angle lenses might move them out too far.

We've had these discussions with Cambo in the past - thanks to your input - and you've roughly identified the sticking points. And even on longer lenses - I'm not sure that the lenspanels could be mounted where they sit with the center of the lens lined up parallel to the center of the digital back sensor, zeroed out. That also looks potentially challenging.

But that leads me to ask - other than wide angle - how many of you feel that you'd have interest in a custom lens interface that could incorporate the Cambo helicol mounted lenspanels? Feel free to contact me offline if you feel like expressing interest. I'm not saying - at all - that this is a possibility, it has challenges, like we covered, but it would be good to know how many would have interest firsthand.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration