The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 67 lenses on Leica-S

Gigibond

Hi there,

finally I found a "wow" forum for mf photography. I just added a Leica S2 to my Alpa 12TC, and I hope to discuss with you about these great two systems.

I did not read any special rules for users presentation, I am normally shy :) but I will do if required :D

My first question here: anybody used Pentax 67 lenses on a Leica S? I have the Leica 35 and 75, but I am looking for alternative on tele side (e.g. the 80-160 zoom..)

I wait for your comment and thank you in advance,
Ciao
G.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new system.

A lot of camera/lens/gear selection is very contingent on what you want to do with it. Can you tell us a bit about your photography? What do you shoot? What do you like about your current gear? What are you hoping to do with the gear you are considering?

After all the answer is very different if you are a [tripod based landscape shooter that loves sweeping focus and grand compositions] vs a [handheld environmental portrait shooter that loves the shallow-DOF look] vs a [tabletop abstract still life shooter that loves simple compositions].

Edit: just saw the link to your website, http://cargocollective.com/josephviolet/No-line-on-the-OZONE so with that in mind maybe you could tell us what similar projects on this website you'd be using the tele lens for.

Ed Hurst

The 6x7 55-100 is optically very good indeed (used with my 645D and 645Z) - easily as good as any Pentax prime lens in that range (with the possible exception of the 75mm f2.8AL), though slower of course. By reputation, the 90-180 is supposed to be nearly as good, but not quite. And it's even slower...

If you want something much longer, the Pentax 67 300mm f4 EDIF is absolutely brilliant and used by at least one member of this site on the Leica. The Pentax 645 120mm f4 lens is very good (I presume it can be used with the Leica, or can it?). Otherwise, I would that the Pentax 67 options from around 100-200 are good without being world-beating. 150mm and 165mm better (in my view) than the 200.

pesto

I have been thinking about the Pentax M 67 400mm f/4 ED (IF) and wonder if anyone would care to comment on this one as a long lens alternative for the newer S models?

D&A

I've used the 300 f4 M* extensively and its a superb lens. I've had less experience with the 400 f4 M* but I was suitably impressed. Unfortunately I know of no way to use/mount Pentax 645 lenses on a Leica S body but I keep thinking the image circle cast by the Pentax 645 lenses should be adaquate for covering the S sensor, so mot sure why its never been tried to my knowledge.

Dave

Last edited:

pesto

Thank you all for your helpful replies, I just might give this a try. Too bad that Leica has not as yet produced the 350 mm lens that they had hinted about earlier.

aCIDfire

I´am using 300/4 ED on my Leica S2. Can confirm that´s a superb lens with no CA. It´s very light but a bit bigger with hood on, I tried it with Pentax 1.4 TC and it´s very good too but better used with monopod.

Here are some pics with 300/4 mostly wide open..

More:

With 1.4 TC:

Another excellent lens is Pentax 105/2.4, nice sharpness wide open but better used with split screen on
Leica S. Another highly recommended lens is newer 75mm.

Hope this helps.. :)
Mark