Site Sponsors

Thread: LCC Help

Post Thanks / Like

LCC Help

Good day folks,
    I am new here and after several years monitoring this site decided to join.
    Recently retired I am beginning to find my feet in doing what I have loved since my teenage years. I have always had what I regarded as excellent camera equipment from the simple Pentax MX to Bronica ETRS and SK lenses now to DF+, Cambo WRS, Credo 40 and SK lenses. I use C1-8 for post.
    My question today centres around the use of LCC profiles.
    Is it common to create a standard set say for instance L5, L10, L15 - R5, R10, R15 for each lens and apply as appropriate, or is it really necessary to create LCC under the actual shooting conditions at the time?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated
    Regards
    Frank
    Just good to be here....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LCC Help

G'Day Obeone.

Welcome to getdpi.

I find it far easier to take LCC at the time of shooting, that way I don't have to remember or write down my camera settings. I set the camera up, take an LCC (or 3 if I am flat stitching) and then shoot away. If I change camera settings I take another LCC and then keep going. The LCC doesn't really care about shutter speed, but it does care about movements. If you change your movements or aperture then take another LCC.

Having a bank of LCC files has its merit, but you would need to keep detailed notes whilst shooting. If you take a number of images and then adjust your rise or shift then you need to know exactly when that happened.
    Stop chasing gear, start chasing photos instead.

Jeff, but my friends call me Dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dogs,
    Kind of what I thought however user experience is always invaluable..
    Thanks and regards
    Just good to be here....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would try to always take the LCC at the rime I'd the shoot. There are times I have been able to use an LCC from a different shoot on a shot but not always. It's a pain and does add time to a shoot but it seems to work the best.

This does go against the method that Phase One is now using with the A series of cameras where the stock LCC is being applied in the camera. You don't have to take the LCC frame.

Paul

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The greatest advantage of contemporaneous LCC capture - dust removal!

--Matt
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use both methods, but prefer to do it at the time the shot was taken. This takes care of dust, and arguably is more accurate since some movements are difficult to be exact with.

There are times when LCC during capture is feasible. Usually when I am in a rush due to sense/sunrise or if the exposure for LCC will be too long, then I do it later or use one from my library.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, seems that apart from needing to take an LCC shot there is no right or wrong way to apply it. I think I will just have to get used to taking it at the time wherever possible.

Will post some pics from a brief visit to New Zealand in the next couple of days and look forward to your comments.

Frank
    Just good to be here....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    The greatest advantage of contemporaneous LCC capture - dust removal!

--Matt
    I am FULLY on board with this. Having come from the days of editing dust out of scanned files... good lord does dust removal help!

This may have been just flare or something unrelated, but I had a shoot on the top of Mount Kearsarge where I didn't shoot LCCs on location. I tried to shoot them afterwards with a flat light surface, but was still experiencing a magenta shift across the image. Imagined or not, this has kept me shooting LCCs at the moment of exposure since. It's not that hard for me with the landscape work, really, so I ever say I'd recommend against it.
    Chris Valites
    Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration
    Email-Me