The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Pano's

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I shot this one in Monument Valley of the North window. It is 9 shots with a Mamiya 150mm lens. I just redid this one and added a bit of sky to it. I have another in Moab that I want to redo also but this is a blast to do. Show us what you have done

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Guy

I envy you very much for such wonderful landscapes you have .
I am just starting into MF pano photography with HASSELBLAD , analog and digital .
I saw some other outstanding Monument Valley images (not postcard ones)
here in the forum and I am delighted .

Jürgen

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wow! I thought the pano you did in the other thread was fantastic but this one is at least as good. Really spectacular and I can easily imagine it printed the size of a bus and hanging in Grand Central Station. Wicked nice, Guy.

kdphotography

Love panos!

This one is from last month at Zabriskie in Death Valley. *brrrr* cold! Eight shot pano, Phase 645AF, 75-150, P45+ Long exposures at sunrise! Just printed a 30" x 96" on metallic.

View attachment 11732

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This one is from Moab 9 shots. I may have to print these and actually hang them in my house or better yet make them wallpaper . LOL

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
That's great Ken! I love the natural curve that bends up at the edges. It does a great job of leading your eye into the center.

Guy had a great session at the Moab workshop on Composition. I may spent four years formally studying photography and many hours of that discussing, researching, and experimenting with composition, but I still learned a ton. Especially since most of my experience is outside of landscape, and his lecture was specific to composition in landscape.

bensonga

Awesome panos Guy and Ken. I've been to Death Valley and the Zabriskie Point Overlook several times....always in March, never in the winter. Fantastic views. Anxious to get back there someday and shoot some panos too. I can only imagine how good the Moab and Death Valley panos at these resolutions would look in print.

Well done!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's one from Sedona with an interesting issue -- CS4 could not render it! I did the B&W conversions in C1 -- and in fact ALL processing on these files was done in C1 and nothing in CS4 -- pulled all 6 frames into CS4 for the merge, and got an error that there was not a pano. Then tried it a second time and it generated the stitch, but without the blend step -- IOW it just arranged them then spit it out as finished.

Long story short, I had heard good things about AutoPano Pro, so I downloaded the demo and ran it. First off, AP found the pano right away, and asked if I wanted to sticth it. I said yes and picked all the high quality options. AP went to work -- and here there is a big difference over CS4, AP was using all my cores at near capacity and it took about 15 minutes to render this pano, where CS4 usually takes maybe 3 or 4 with an image this size. However, the result is impressive: Main thing I note is there is not the usual geometric distortions you get with long panos in CS4; horizon lines are as captured with no waves or wiggles and no other obvious geometric distortions from transforms to mate seam lines are visible. Anyway, looks like if you want to make really big stitches using large, 16 bit monotone files, you need a better piece of software than CS4. The final file is about 26000 pixels wide and about 1G in size, and was made from 6 captures on my P45+ using the 120 Macro, each exposure were 1 second at f22 at ISO 100. I have reduced it to 2400 pixels wide for display here (using CS4), or about 1/10th scale, click on the 900 pix image below to see the 2400 px version:

Cheers,

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah, big fan of Autopano and when I upgraded to 8gb RAM, 64 bit windows and the autopano cache on a raid 0 striped it really started to fly! Always was far faster than PS and far more control if you dig into the program a bit.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, big fan of Autopano and when I upgraded to 8gb RAM, 64 bit windows and the autopano cache on a raid 0 striped it really started to fly! Always was far faster than PS and far more control if you dig into the program a bit.
Good point Ben. After i purchased it, I went into the settings and set up a striped array for scratch and gave it 8G ram to play with and it moves along real fast now :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I generally try for between 1/3 and 1/2 overlap...

Rendering a 10 frame, 180 degree pano of a Monument Valley sunrise right now. Over 32,000 pixels wide LOLOL!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here's one from Sedona with an interesting issue -- CS4 could not render it! I did the B&W conversions in C1 -- and in fact ALL processing on these files was done in C1 and nothing in CS4 -- pulled all 6 frames into CS4 for the merge, and got an error that there was not a pano. Then tried it a second time and it generated the stitch, but without the blend step -- IOW it just arranged them then spit it out as finished.
Jack
What do you mean by "C1" and nothing in CS4 . ? ? ?

Jürgen

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry! C1 = Capture One, my raw processing software. CS4 = Photoshop CS4, and is my image editing program. So what I mean is I did *all* of the critical image processing and conversion in the C1 raw processor and did not use Photoshop for anything other than the downsampling form teh huge pano to a postable jpeg.

Cheers,

D

DougDolde

Guy, the North Window shot is great. Gotta wonder though if it isn't TOO wide. Seems like you could lose about 35% off the right side and maybe 10% off the left to have a much more focused and appealing image.

jlm

Workshop Member
great panos; especially like yours, Jack

out of curiosity, what size would you print them? 24" high x 12' wide, for example?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, the North Window shot is great. Gotta wonder though if it isn't TOO wide. Seems like you could lose about 35% off the right side and maybe 10% off the left to have a much more focused and appealing image.
Problem with losing 35% off the right, he loses the shadow and the lower right tree, which IMO make that pano pop.

My .02,