The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Pano's

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
great panos; especially like yours, Jack

out of curiosity, what size would you print them? 24" high x 12' wide, for example?
Thanks John. Actually, I usually try to keep them nearer 1:4 aspect ratios and print them more like 6" tall by 24" wide. So I would crop the B&W I posted above a bit since there's nothing really important at the ends. ;)

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Problem with losing 35% off the right, he loses the shadow and the lower right tree, which IMO make that pano pop.

My .02,
Which was exactly my thinking too. I saw the tree when i was shooting it and that shadow i really liked so I did include it and actually figured i could crop later too. I guess i rather have all that data than work from there. Certainly big enough to play.

As far as prints i sent those two to my wife and she wants me to print them for the house. So i may go 24 inches tall but it does grow to 5ft wide or so. May take up a whole wall. She also wants me to sell them to the Utah tourism Dept. Actually not a bad thought.

Anyway besides all that I really never done to many Pano's before but I really like putting them together and they add a different prospective in landscape work. The neat part is in reality it is what your eye's really see and we seem to take parts of that instead with photography. These lend to our own real vision when your standing there looking at the scene.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Here's one from Sedona with an interesting issue -- CS4 could not render it! I did the B&W conversions in C1 -- and in fact ALL processing on these files was done in C1 and nothing in CS4 -- pulled all 6 frames into CS4 for the merge, and got an error that there was not a pano. Then tried it a second time and it generated the stitch, but without the blend step -- IOW it just arranged them then spit it out as finished.

Cheers,
Very nice image, Jack. You nailed the dynamic range, which is often difficult in panos and was very difficult here. Also, very good translation to B&W.

Paratom

I posten this in the other thread but think it belongs here.
In Switzerland Glacier Morteratsch with Hy6.

woodyspedden

I shot this one in Monument Valley of the North window. It is 9 shots with a Mamiya 150mm lens. I just redid this one and added a bit of sky to it. I have another in Moab that I want to redo also but this is a blast to do. Show us what you have done
Hey Guy

I don't think this is the North window. It looks to me to be a wonderful image of Wall street at Arches. Am I wrong?

Fabulous shot though. I have tried for a few years to get a shot of this location that I really liked and never got there. This one does it for me.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Very nice image, Jack. You nailed the dynamic range, which is often difficult in panos and was very difficult here. Also, very good translation to B&W.

Thanks Woody,

You were there too and know the DR was pretty significant, it was likely over 10 stops, probably more. This is where our big backs really shine IMO.

The B&W conversion was done in C1 using one of their STD profiles.

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jeorg,
That was six frames from the P45+ and the 55mm Mamiya lens.
the result is 21237 by 5253 pixels.
One problem with panos is that if you have a spot on your sensor, it shows up several times :banghead:
-bob

woodyspedden

No it said North Window in Monument Valley when we pulled in and it was looking North for sure.
O.K then

Actually I meant Park Avenue, not Wall Street anyway. But it sure looks like park avenue. Next year if you have a workshop at Arches, look for it

Most important thing though is the quality of this image

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Guy,
I used Autopano
CS4 just won't blend these properly.
-bob
Yup that is where I have seen a few issues with CS4 is it must not like those very subtle tones and get's confused by them and just will not render it.

Guy Mancuso

O.K then

Actually I meant Park Avenue, not Wall Street anyway. But it sure looks like park avenue. Next year if you have a workshop at Arches, look for it

Most important thing though is the quality of this image

Woody
It does look like Park Avenue in Moab. Great spot too , that morning we had no light when we stopped there . Although we all did get this instead behind us when it finally did pop. Not to bad on luck

Clawery

I currently have an older Bogen pistol grip head on by Gitzo Studex and also have a Kaidan QTVR head, but I need a good "beefy" ball head for doing panos. I have seen a few threads over the months, but wondered if the RRS is the best head for this type of photography? Can you guys give me your input?

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell