The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Pano's

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Guys you have inspired me to try this.. I have a heavy duty CF Gitzo tripod, I can't afford a cube now what would you recommend as a kit? I have a Sony a900 with a CZ 24 -70 or G 70-300. I will purchase APP.

Dale Allyn

Guys you have inspired me to try this.. I have a heavy duty CF Gitzo tripod, I can't afford a cube now what would you recommend as a kit? I have a Sony a900 with a CZ 24 -70 or G 70-300. I will purchase APP.
I like the RRS BH-55. The pan base locks very solidly (good for using off-axis or horizontally) because they employ a tension strap design, instead of the common set-screw type of design.

You could get by with a lighter head than the BH-55 also, such as the BH-40 or Arca-Swiss ball head, or Acratech as offered above. I prefer the pan base on the RRS (BH-55 head, but these others are strong enough for you kit in terms of weight.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
If you want to do panos with a BH-55, I would recommend topping it with an RRS PCL-1 pano clamp. I use it on top of my gitzo head in my light-weight setup. If course, it is not as easy to level as the cube, but it is usable. It is important to level the panning element most of all, and a ball head helps with that.
-bob

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

I thought about mentioning the PCL-1 also, but not knowing the budget thought I let it trickle into the conversation. ;) I get by without the PCL-1 by taking extra time at setup, but after trying one have planned to add it also. I just tend to take some long hikes at times and my kit is already rather heavy.

The PCL-1 plus an additional dovetail mount allows for a quick setup. Or one can forgo the "normal" RRS clamp and use the PCL-1 as the clamp (rather than the lever clamp or screw-type clamp).

Good call, Bob. :)

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I seems I need a ballhead because the one I have now is the RRS 25 for the M8, and a L- bracket for the camera, ball-head, PCL-1 with dovetail, and a RRS rail to set the nodal point...correct?

carstenw

For single-row panos, yes. Btw, you only need the rail if you will work with things close up. For landscapes it might not be necessary. For multi-row panos with things close up, you will need the full pano kit, not just a rail.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
You can order the BH-40 or BH-55 with the PCL-1 pre-installed as the top clamp.
I would use a rail usually, since the nodal slide is more an issue in a three dimensional scene. The dovetail piece is needed only if you want to use a regular clamp as well as the pano clamp. I keep my pano clamp mounted all the time.
I don't have a full pano kit, since I don't do VR and prefer to use a wide-ish lens and a portrait orientation to the camera to avoid as much geometric distortion as possible.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
mike:

the acractech clamp is completely functional with any of the RRS dovetails. I used it with right angle brackets, camera plates, pano rails and the pan head.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
You can do without it if your subject is pretty much in one plane and relatively far away.
If your subject contains tree trunks in the mid or fore-ground, for example, then you will find the nodal slide to be beneficial.
-bob

Last edited:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks Bob,
I will be in the forest a lot so done, purchased...slap em down $100...$200 :D

Is there new stitching software in CS4?

D

DougDolde

One of Uptown Sedona. This is an old shot with Contax 645, 140mm and Kodak DCS back. I was never satisfied with the processing until now. About 4 frames stitched in PS CS4 and processed in Nik Silver Efex.

Real big version here: http://www.arizonaconnect.net/big.jpg

Last edited:

JimCollum

a couple more from the SWD and Aptus75s

both taken with the 135mm lens

3 image horizontal stitch

9 image (full shift in all directions)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jim, I really like the first one, especially due to the subtle pastel sky color --- :thumbs: