The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photography quotations

Ed Hurst

Hello chums,

I love the time I spend on this site; one of the quirkily enjoyable things is the little quotations that some of us choose to share in our signatures. They vary from little asides on life to thought-provoking nuggets about the philosophy of photography.

I have been collecting quotations on photography to put on my website, and have loved some of the things you guys have chosen to share. But I just lost my file where I had been gathering them and, since many of your change your signatures from time to time, I can't find all the old ones.

I figured it might be cool to share on this thread our favourite photography quotes - especially those about the philosophy of what we do (e.g. that we don't just seek to record what we see literally, but make a photograph that expresses how we felt about a scene - what was that quote?).

Please accept my apologies in advance if this is too far 'off topic' to be acceptable.

All the best,

Ed

kdphotography

"I don't photograph the world as it is; I photograph the world as I would like it to be."

--Monte Zucker

ken

tsjanik

One that drives us all:

"Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I'm going to take tomorrow."

- Imogen Cunningham

Dogs857

Hey Jeff - if I quote that, do you want to be cited as the person who coined it?
Generous offer Ed but I just can't take the credit for this one.

I would suggest "author unknown" or "every photographic professional since the dawn of time" as a suitable author.

Egor

Two of my favorites:

"In art repro, we have finally figured out how to make a perfect copy:
What we do is we make two copies and throw away the original!"

"Price, Speed, Quality...pick any two"

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Do not to be a killjoy, but John Paul Caponigro has been posting quotes on Facebook and Google + for years. To see more of the quotes he has assembled, please go to John Paul Caponigro :: Quotes

Scott
scotttanseyphoto.com
was about to post the same thing ... I read these all the time. there are some great ones in there.

Here’s a link to a different version of it, where he lists photographers and then his favorite quote from the list of quotes they offered him.

richardman

"The best way to make money from photography is to sell your camera" - unk.
As a software guy at $DAYTIME$, I wrote a small tethering app for the Olympus E-Systems using the Olympus SDK. I sell it for fairly inexpensively - at $15, and that has been my biggest source of photo-related income. It has paid for the E-3 plus a few lens over the 6-7 years.

Otherwise, indeed, the best way to make money is to buy Leica cheap and sell them for good prices. I have never lost money on Leica gears.

Ed Hurst

Wayne, Scott and Graham - thanks for those sources - very enjoyable!

Some of the quotes here have already added usefully to what is on those sites ;-)