The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z and the price of MF

Chris Giles

You really can't compare MF and 35mm format, but if you want to make that comparison, then you mean the Nikon D800/e not the Sony.
It's all about perspective. I often compare 35mm to MF in the sense of what each individual system can let me do. For me, other than the larger sensor 'look' and image quality there is nothing MF has over 35mm.
I'll say it again though, this is from my perspective.

I don't think Medium Format will die a death, even if they charge 100k per body because there will always be enough people with enough cash flow to support what is in essence three companies.

But what I do feel is happening now is people are being given a much easier option to choose with much clearer defining arguments. Lots of A7r owners now, lots of Pentax owners too and while it's good that the CMOS has invigorated medium format interest and sales, how long will it continue for I'm not so sure because I think a lot of the new sales are due to pent up demand from people who refused to buy another CCD for minor improvements. Hasselblad and Phase could easily break away from Pentax by sticking a full frame CMOS in their bodies.

This is really just echoing a lot of comments I've seen online for the last few years. I'm still happy to use my Sigma for holiday photos and my clients don't really care what camera I use so long as I get the shot. I'll never be able to bag a client by saying my camera cost 25k and they won't care about any of that pixel peeping weights and measures stuff.

I guess that's why price is mentioned so often as it often boils down to 8k or 25k and it's miles easier to pick a system when the price gap is so massive.

Pradeep

It's all about perspective. I often compare
I guess that's why price is mentioned so often as it often boils down to 8k or 25k and it's miles easier to pick a system when the price gap is so massive.
Chris, the price differential is actually higher. I am getting the Pentax kit (lens, body, sensor) for just over $8K. The same in the Phase world is still priced at $40K (slightly longer lens, 80mm) on the CI website. Is the quality FOUR and a half times better with the same sensor in both kits?

algrove

Wow, that is really useful info. Combined with what I've read from Chris Giles's review and other sites around, I am now convinced.

I just placed an order for the 645Z with my dealer (I've been buying all my gear from him for many years now). He is getting me the 55 2.8 lens free with the body as part of a deal that has just run out.

Your experience with the lenses will prove really useful as I build my system slowly.

Thank you.
Can you explain more about the deal for body+55mm lens that expired, please? That could be helpful info for me. TIA.

Pradeep

Can you explain more about the deal for body+55mm lens that expired, please? That could be helpful info for me. TIA.
Apparently, there was a wedding photographers' convention in Las Vegas a few days ago. Pentax were offering a bundle where the 55 2.8 lens was included in the price of the body, only during the convention.

Big dealers like B&H and Adorama also put up the same deal on their websites to attract customers. That expired on Friday I believe. However, my dealer managed to get my purchase order in to Pentax just in time for me to get the same deal.

I think this is something that may come around again.

Other options for getting a good price would be to order from Europe, with the Euro being so weak, it may be a bargain. There was also a pop-up ad on Pentax Forums yesterday with a US price of under $8K.

Hope this helps.

Pradeep

iiiNelson

Yup as he state it was part of a promotion associated with the WPPI conference that was going on in Vegas. The deal originally ended on 4 March 2015 but was extended until Friday. Pretty great deal if you ask me as that's one of the good lenses in the system.