The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many camera "systems" do you maintain?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I know that feeling. I still have a pair of Nikon F2 bodies and several non-AI lenses that I've owned for 30+ years. I'm keeping them for the duration. Too bad I don't have any kids or grandkids to leave them to. Ah heck, they probably wouldn't appreciate them anyways.

Gary
I have tons of kids and a couple of grandkids too. No, no interest so far. Any photographic device that lacks a touch screen with a swipe function is alien territory :(

mmbma

not cool Steve, just showing off like that!

I love the aptus you sold me so all the love......
Holy crap Ben. What do you call the storage room for all this gear, your camera pantry? BTW - I have that DM-33 if you really want it ..... ;)

My list is quite brief:

Canon EOS 6D (oh how boring!)
Sigma 35/1.4, Canon 40/2.8, Canon 400/5.6

Panasonic GFI Original
Bunch of misc lenses, Minolta Rokkor 50/1.7, Minolta Celtic 135/2.8

Medium Format Digital - any digital back I want, any camera body I want, any lens I want, just sign it out

Yes, I know, I have quite a big hole in my Canon lens lineup, I need a 50. I rarely shoot the Panasonic, generally my thinking about a small camera for walkabout is that the 6D is quite small, and when you pair it with the 40mm pancake, it's hardly bigger than most mirrorless cameras.

I have not shot film since my early Canon Elan II days with the Eye Control. I like the way it looks, not sure I can handle shooting it again, but if I did, it would have to be with something like a Rolleiflex....or at least something with a waist level finder. That, I would like.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

bensonga

Favorite gear setup? Hard to decide, but I've owned my Pentax 67 system for a very long time (before I could afford a Hasselblad etc), so this would have to be one of my favorites.

Scott Tansey

I used to have several camera systems including Linhof 6x17, Linhof 6x12, xPan, Leica M, and Canon 5DII. However they are all gone. I am down to one system, the Leica S. I use it for all my photography, and I am pleased with the results.

Scott
scotttanseyphoto.com

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have essentially two and a half camera systems:

My main camera is a Sony Alpha 99 with a bunch of lenses ranging from 10 to 400 mm. This is a full frame, DSLR-type camera. This is normally used on tripod, but quite often used handheld, too.

The second camera I carry is a Hasselblad 555/ELD and P45+ with a bunch of lenses ranging from 40 mm to 180 mm.

The third system I have is a Sony Alpha 77, an APS-C DSLR like camera. The Alpha 77 is used for street walks normally with a 16-80 zoom and say a 10/2.8 fisheye from Sigma in one west pocket and a 70-300/4.5-5.6 in the other. The APS-C is often used for shooting birds and wildlife, as it gives more pixels on target than the full frame.

I also have a Sony 100RX, a high quality compact. It is pretty good, but I don't like shooting with compacts.

Carrying both the Hasselblad and Sony kits is of course quite heavy. For longer walks the Hasselblad is left behind.

If Sony comes out with a 50 MP (or so) camera, say "A9" I would probably add that to my equipment.

I use Sony for sentimental and practical reasons. I could have used Canon or Nikon gear and would be perfectly happy.

Generally, I use a tripod whenever practical. I actually regard tripods and bags to be an essential part of the equipment. I use an RRS 3-series tripod with an Arca Swiss D4 head, and the backpack is a Gura Gear Kiboko.

Best regards
Erik

Loosely equates to how many cameras do you have....but, this question is directed at the real GAS addicts: How many complete camera systems do you maintan?

For me:

Rangefinder/Sony: Leica Monochrom for B&W and the all around badass factor, and Sony A7s for night streets. Overall use: street photography
Lenses: 12mm Voigtlander, 16-18-21 WATE, 28mm Summicron, 35mm Summincron, 50mm Summilux, 90mm Tele Elmarit

M4/3: Olympus E-M5 II for light travel, kids parties, telephoto. Overall use: light weight general purpose zoom.
Lenses: Oly 12-40 2.8, Panny 35-100 2.8, Panny 100-300mm, Panny 25mm 1.4

DSLR: Nikon D3x and 800E. For work. General purpose workhorse. I use this system when I can't afford to make a mistake or miss shots.
Lenses: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 28mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8

Medium Format: Rolleiflex HY6 for hobby, and in-studio portrait and products. I use this for fun, and for when I need to impress clients with professional gear, or for shoots where I can slow down.
Lenses: 50mm Schneider AFD 2.8, 80mm Xenotar AFD 2.8, 150mm Zeiss F4, 180mm Xenotar AFD 2.8, 250mm Zeiss

Technical Cam: Alpa SWA with 47mm xl. I use this for fun, and when I need the shift for wide angle architecture/interior. (currently can't afford other lenses! But I would only get ultra wides for the Alpa, as 50mm or longer my Rollei system can handle)

These two systems share a Leaf Aptus 12-ii digital back.

Handheld: Ricoh GR, a little rockstar that never leaves my pocket.

Film: Linhof 617S3 with 70 and 180mm. Hasselblad 503, Leica M2.

Flash: 4 speedlights

Tripod: Gitzo carbons (big and small), Linhof 3D, Manfrotto 405, and other Gitzo heads.

torger

Except for my Sony phone I have two systems, a Linhof Techno for my serious landscape work and a Canon Dslr system for everything else.

I generally shoot locally so I don't need to fly with my cameras. If I did I would probably have a more compact system too.

I'm very interested in technology development and follow that in great detail, but I am not really interested in using the latest gear all the time. When it comes to real picturemaking I rather use something that works year in and year out. I'm grateful for the bleeding edge users though which has allowed me to acquire most gear second hand :)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hmm, let me think ... I won't bore you with the lenses! I know that compared to some that this is still only a small collection and thankfully I use pretty much all of them vs sitting in a display case.

Range Rover Sport Autobiography
- lot's of cameras :D

Medium Format digital:
- IQ150/Leaf Aptus 65M IR (also Alpa MF film)
- Alpa TC/STC
- Alpa FPS
- Phase One DF+
- Mamiya RZ Pro IID
- Hasselblad CFV-16:
- currently all lonely with no one to play with as I sold my 503Cxi but kept the lenses for use on the FPS.

LF Film:
- Toyo 45Aii

MF Film:
- Fuji G617
- Rollei 6006/6008 i2

35mm film/digital:
- Nikon Df, Nikon F6
- Sony 2x A7r, A7s, A7II
- Sony RX1r (and like Will I have all of the lenses! :) )
- Hasselblad XPan II

APS-c:
- Sigma Merrill DP1M, DP2M, DP3M
- Ricoh GRD-IV

iPhone 6+

and I'm sure that I'm missing something ... no Leica these days.

Last edited:

fotografz

Scott is my hero! My objective is to jettison everything other than the Leica S system, which I've been using almost exclusively the past 6 months. (Well, maybe the S system and a small pocket camera unless my new iPhone 6 suffices).

My friends used to call my studio "B&H West" because I had so much photo stuff.

All 500 and 200 V gear: Gone. All Mamiya RZ Pro-IID stuff: Gone. All Hasselblad H kit: Gone. These weren't just a few things, but the entire system for each including at least two camera bodies and a wide spread of optics for each. I've also had more DBs than I care to recall.

Complete systems I still maintain:

Leica S(006),
CS-35/2.5, CS-45/2.8, CS-70/2.5, S-100/2, CS-120/2.5, CS-180/3.5 ... in future I will add the S-24 when I can gather the King's Ransom it cost, plus add the Elpro for the 180.

Leica MM:
M-21/1.4, 28/2, 35/1.4, 75/2, 90/2.8 (recently sold the 50/0.95). IF I keep this kit it will be reduced to the M-35/1.4 and 75/2. I hate that the M body got so big, so it all may go.

Sony A99 and A7R:
ZA lenses:16-35/2.8, 24/2, 24-70/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8, 500/8, LAEA-4 adapter ... FE 35/2.8 & 55/1.8.

After my last wedding shoot this May, most if not ALL this SONY stuff is going bye-bye. While it has served me well commercially for weddings, after the A900, I never really took to anything Sony made.

Oh, and I have a Rollie Xact-II, accessories, and some view lenses, which I have no clue what to do with ... probably use it as a room decoration on a wood tripod because it is so cool looking.

I still have extensive lighting systems which I'll be reducing also.

- Marc

torger

I think the phone is rather boring to shoot with as you only have wide angle, and I am more of a tele guy. I want as wide as possible on the phone though as I use it as a viewfinder for the tech cam. My current has about 24mm 135 equivalent.

danlindberg

Pride & joy (& workhorse),
• Alpa TC, MAX, FPS with Credo 60

Modern small backup,
Sony A7R

Film LF,
Linhof Supertechnica 4x5

Film MF,
Fuji GX680III
Hasselblad 500CM

Film 35,
Contax G1, G2
Olympus OM1, OM2
Canon F1n, T90 (just sold...)

...and a few lenses to go with the bodies...:angel:

dchew

MF:
Alpa STC and TC
40hrw, sk60xl, 70hrw, 90hrsw, 100hrs, sk150

35mm:
Sony a7r
Leica WATE, Sony FE35, Sony FE55, Leica 90 Sumicron

Canon 5DII w/IR conversion
Zeiss Zeiss 25 f/2, Zeiss 35f/2, Canon 90ts, Canon 70-200 f/4 IS
Canon 1n

Wish list:
Leica Monochrom, 50 f/2 asph, one of the 35mm's
The Canon equipment is rarely used. I sold off a bunch of lenses a few years ago but kept the core above.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One and one is all I need or want anymore. It's all based on Sony E mount A7 series. If I need something special I will rent and hopefully charge back a client.

I've become boring as hell when it comes to gear.

Paratom

MF: Leica S 006 and lenses
for fun: CF-39 + Alpa STC + 35mm

no other DSLR any more

A7II + lenses as a flexible camera

Leica T system (I use it more often than the Sony at the moment; The lenses are very good and I like the simple handling of the camera)

EM1 ...is not used much but I keep it because I own an underwaterhousing for it and I might add the 70-150mm for this camera (nothing comparable available for my other cameras)

Leica M + too many lenses (However I mainly use 35 and 50mm with the M)

My smallest camera I like to use is the Leica X2.

I also have a collection of film cameras from older times...which I keep more like a collector.

And some things for wet plate photography.

Chris Valites

I have been almost exclusively using the Credo 50 with a Cambo WRC 400 and Schneider 43mm XL here from work.

My personal collection, though, is from my college days really. Toyo CF (can't even remember the lens)

Mamiya 7II with the 80mm

Mamiya RZ 6x7 Pro II with the 110mm lens (for sale!)

Canon 5D Mark II with 100mm macro non L lens and first gen 24-70mm 2.8mm L.

bensonga

LOL...yes, the Zeiss 1700mm does look like a blimp attached to the little Hasselblad V.

It's just a bit larger than my 500mm Tele-Tessar T*, which I had actually forgotten about until I saw it's much larger brother.

Gary

mathomas

OK, I'll play, in reducing format order:

Film:
Fuji GW690III
Two-body Hasselblad V-series focal plane system, with attendant F and CF lenses, finders, winders, and backs
Fuji GA645Zi
Leica R8 and lenses

Weird half-systems (film):
Contax G1 body, but no lenses, and
M-mount lenses but no bodies

Digital:
Sony A-mount (A900, bunch-o-lenses)
Sony E-mount (A7II, one FE lens, adapters for the rest)
Sony compact (RX100III)
iPhone 6