The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm on a 180

Don Libby

I'm doing research on how well a Schneider 28mm will perform using a Cambo WRS and IQ180 combo.

I read Guys comparison write-up between the HR & SK that was several years ago and back then it appears the SK might not have been well suited on the 180. But things change; such as C1.

So the question is - will a SK 28 work well on a 180 using a WRS. How much movement is there? (I'm not expecting much if any) What are the issues and are they correctable in C1. I'd also expect the CF is a must.

If the SK is a bust I'll have to rethink the HR but I'd like to hear from those who have actual experience.

Don

Don Libby

One other thought - As good as the 32 looks I have a 40HR which is too close to the same focal length and I have no desire selling it so looking towards the 28.

Don

Don Libby

No joke and Ken didn't put me up to this ...

There really isn't that much of a price difference between the HR and SK 28, the reason I like the SK lens over the HR is the lack of that internal hard stop that you encounter with movements. I also believe the SK has a larger image circle.

Again, the 32 is too close to what I already have in the 40 and I have no wish to get rid of the 40 which is something I'd want to do if I got the 32. That leaves me getting an even wider lens such as a 23 or 28 and I think the 23 might be too wide for me. So all this reasoning brings me back to the 2-28 lens and the question of whether the SK 28 will play well with a 180.

f8orbust

CI did a test way back with the SK28 and IQ180 - here's the link. The post is kind of broken (originally appeared on CI's old website), but I'm sure they probably still have the RAWs kicking around. IIRC it was fine unshifted, but couldn’t be shifted much if any. But, that was then, this is now - would be interested to see how much C1 v8 can help.

BTW the SK 28 ('Super Digitar') is a gem of a lens - hugely underrated due to limited shifting with the IQ180-era ‘full frame’ sensors (when it was released), but from what I've seen it deserves to be part of the conversation with legendary lenses like the Zeiss Biogon T* 4.5/38 (1st gen) etc.

Enda Cavanagh has used it extensively on a Cambo (on a HB back IIRC, not sure which one).

Don Libby

Bryan, thanks I read that a couple time yesterday before posting.

And on other news -

When in doubt call your dealer, in this case Capture Integration...

Seems that Cambo has or will shortly discontinue offering the SK28 so that leaves me with a choice of the HR28 or if I really wanted to go wild and wide the HR23. It also appears that if anyone is using a SK28 on a 80-megapixel they're keeping quite as no one at CI had any information.

They did however tell me both the 28 and 23 HR work well with a 80 megapixel. I'm just not a big fan of the internal stop but then again I don't expect to do any shifting with either lens.

Last edited:

Paul2660

With no shifting you will love the Rodie 28mm.

One glorious lens. I would consider the CF. I Use it on mine.

Paul

Paul2660

If you want wide get the 23mm especially if you are not going to shift. It's a bit more flare prone than the 28mm.

Paul

jagsiva

Don, the 40HR with shifts can easily cover the 28mm FoV. You are right in that the 40 and 32 are quite close, but the 32HR does give you close to the FoV of the 23HR with shifts. If you're keeping the 40HR, and you like the wides, I'd go for the 23HR. It is a princess, but when the corners are nothing short of incredible.

I find the 23/40 combo works well for me. If I had to pick only one in the trio, the 32HR any day.

Don Libby

After thinking and doing more research I'm leaning closer to the 23 since the 40 can with movements get close to a 28 and I'm looking for a lens that will produce wide files without the need of movements. I find myself in situations with fast moving light/skies that would be great in a large panorama if only there was enough time to properly move the lens and capture LCCs (though the LCC can be any time). The use of a lens that when centered would give me the single frame kickass file I want for a pano would also allow me the chance to shoot multiple frames as the sky develops. Anyway, this makes perfect sense to me.

Now to find a good copy of the 23 and find a center filter as I sure I'll need one as well.

Thanks for listening to me as I think this out loud today! :grin:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
After thinking and doing more research I'm leaning closer to the 23 since the 40 can with movements get close to a 28 and I'm looking for a lens that will produce wide files without the need of movements. I find myself in situations with fast moving light/skies that would be great in a large panorama if only there was enough time to properly move the lens and capture LCCs (though the LCC can be any time). The use of a lens that when centered would give me the single frame kickass file I want for a pano would also allow me the chance to shoot multiple frames as the sky develops. Anyway, this makes perfect sense to me.

Now to find a good copy of the 23 and find a center filter as I sure I'll need one as well.

Thanks for listening to me as I think this out loud today! :grin:
I tried the 23, and it was just too wide for my taste. I traded for the 28mm and am much happier. Since the only time I use it is when I can’t shift the 40mm it seems to be about the right focal length for my taste.

I use it with the center filter, but may have to revisit that on occasions where the dynamic range isn’t that great because it really does increase exposure times dramatically (about 2.5 stops or so it seems). Sometimes that’s OK ... but sometimes maybe not so good.

Paul2660

No doubt when the light is low off comes the CF on the 28mm. It's a 2.5 stop difference as Wayne mentioned.

Paul

PSon

Hi Don,
If you own ALPA, the 23mm would be very useful in unique situations. However, since you own Cambo, the 28mm is quit unique since it is the widest angle lens with tilt and swing capability. Thus in your current technical camera system, the 28mm in T/S mount would be extremely versatile and complementary to your other lenses and having similar functionalities (T/S) that you are so used to work with; familiar setting helps us work better. Like they say old habit dies hard. Ideally if you can own all of them you should since they are all very nice lens especially in the wide end.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ken, I'm shocked that you hadn't already suggested that Don should get the 23HR, 28HR and 32HR - that would be the GetDPI Blessed approach :ROTFL:

As per the other recommendations and private emails we've had, be aware of the fickle nature of the 23HR and also the need for the CF which ironically CI got for me cheaper from Alpa than Rodenstock or Cambo. wtf??? (But still $800)

With a full frame sensor I'd be tempted by the Rodie 28 but you'll still need the same filter.

rupho

Don
I Had the 28XL just when it came out paired with an IQ180 and to make a long story short its not usable . Even unshifted it creates enormous colour cast and light fall off
I made a test against the 32HR And immideately sold the 28XL as mich as i Love the Form factor and minimal distortion . I also have the 23HR which sometimes is a life saver for my type of work ( interior and architecture) but its top wide for my taste
I also have the 43XL and had to see it due to colour cast and got the 40HR which I traded for a 50hr. If you need 28 go for the Rodenstock I think you'll. Be happier given the 180 back IMO