The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Best" tripod

mathomas

All the preceding recommendations are good. Personally, I just got a Gitzo Systematic GT3432LS with the interchangeable flat plate and a center column (keeping the flat plate on for now). Haven't used it in anger yet, but after just playing with it a bit, I feel it was a great purchase -- one of those "joy in use" kind of things. I see it working very well for FF digital up to 400-500mm, and MF film, no problem. Have my Arca Swiss Z1 DP head on it.

I'm not as fancy as the other guys here, so I "only" have a Gitzo 3 series and Manfrotto 405 geared head, but what everyone is saying about the g-locks on the Gitzos are true, that stuff isn't going anywhere after you lock it down. As much I'd love to have had a D4 or Cube, they each get twice as expensive as the last one, and enough pros use the 405 to convince me that it wasn't going to disappoint me at the least, which it doesn't.

One peculiar thing I noticed is that the stock rubber feet on the Gitzo are way too thick and soft and give the tripod a bit of a spongy feel, I haven't replaced them yet, but just taking them off makes the tripod seem much more stable, so it might be worth looking into some hard rubber replacements.

All the preceding recommendations are good. Personally, I just got a Gitzo Systematic GT3432LS with the interchangeable flat plate and a center column
Don't you mean the 3532LS? there is no 3432 model according to Google. I have the non-LS version, though I'm not sure what the difference is. I keep the center column attached to mine, but only so that I can use a tripod strap to sling the tripod over my shoulder.

AaronK

As usual I'm the outlier here. I use a Gitzo tripod with and Acratech GP-S ball head. The lever locking plate is perfect in my opinion. Invert the body and it's ready for pano duties. It's absolutely rigid, and weighs next to nothing.

mathomas

Don't you mean the 3532LS? there is no 3432 model according to Google. I have the non-LS version, though I'm not sure what the difference is. I keep the center column attached to mine, but only so that I can use a tripod strap to sling the tripod over my shoulder.
Haha, yes -- typo! I think the 'L' is for 'long'. The 'S' is for Systematic, I believe.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

Shared wisdom on this subject is to get the sturdiest tripod that is light & compact enough so it will be used and not left home. The properties to pay attention to are:

a) tripod weight
b) folded length
c) max height without center column extended
d) load capacity

Depending on intended usage, obviously the max acceptable values for each of these differ from one photog to another.

About 12 years ago I bought a Gitzo Basalt G1298 ( a=3.5lbs, b=19.3", c=47.2", d=12.1lbs ) - and it has served me well.

Two years ago I also purchased a Gitzo 5562 LTS ( a=6.5lbs, b=19.6", c=58.8", d=88lbs) - to work with a Horseman 617.

These are almost two extreme ends of the Gitzo tripod spectrum I have always been willing to bring the 1298 and leave the 5562 home.

One pleasant surprize after switching to a tech camera has been the fact that it does not need a super heavy tripod - so I have sold the 5562.

If I ever buy another tripod in the future, I would look for:
a = less than 2.5lbs => easy to carry
b = less than 20" => fits carry-on bags and easy to carry
c = more than 55" => more the better
d = more than 20lbs => 20lbs capacity is more than enough for me

I have never used a RRS tripod (have thought about their model 23) - but Gitzos are solid and the way G1298 has held up, I think it will last a lifetime.

Some would argue that a lighter tripod is just not good enough but that has not been my experience with Nikon D50, D200, D700, D800 and now Cambo 1200. Although I understand that for much larger systems the lightest tripod would be a level or two higher.

So all I am saying is - don't overlook the convenience factor :)

Last edited:

Shashin

I have Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods. I prefer the Manfrotto with lever locks because I can visually confirm the legs are locked.

My most used tripod by far in the field is a Manfrotto three section carbon fiber. It is a really old model and no longer made. I think it is rated to 11kg. It also has a short column. The head is an Arca Swiss p0. I have bigger and smaller, but this seems to be the best compromise between portability and usefulness. I can carry and work with this all day long.

Smaller tripods are easier to carry, but are too low. Bigger is just too much in the field, but I use them I very specific and limited situations. My bigger tripods have a gear head. I like gear heads, but not their weight and size. Since I end up photographing more than 20 feet from a car, weight and size are really important.

The other nice thing about my Manfrotto is it fits in my checked luggage.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Not by popular comment but I had the cube and its a slow dog to work with and not very good for any type of fast work. Its great for landscape and archetecture work but it really ends there . Try shooting a model and its stupid slow. Depends on what type of photography you are doing but a ball head is far faster. Seriously my Z1 is as strong as a cube. Its rated at 130 lbs and it does not move when tightened down. People ignore this because the Cube is in Cult status. Thats fine but Im not into cults or anything that will slow me down.
But if you want to change the tilt a small amount, and you don't want the horizon to go out of level while you do it, the cube is unequalled. I hate it when I loosen a head and everything flops - or even *tries* to flop. I would not use a cube for action, even slow action. I would not use it for an M or smaller, although an iPhone mounted on a cube looks kinda cool. :cool:

I have a bunch of RRS ballheads I should sell. I like the cube and the little inverted Arca P0.

--Matt

Dustbak

I use Gitzo and Cube (GT3540XLS and the Oceanic 1540). For ballheads there is only one... Burzynski (seems to be unavailable today :()

gazwas

All tripods to a certain point are excellent now especially if going for a top end carbon fibre one. I looked hard and long at the RRS tripods vs the Gitzo as both are top of the tree but as well as the leg locks on the Gitzo, what sold me was the total system that is unrivalled from any other manufacturer.

Spending this much I wanted t to be more than just expensive tripod and I now have multiple accessories like levelling plates, rapid and geared columns, leg reducers, video half bowls and lateral arms just to name but a few. My Gitzo's can pretty much do anything I ask of them.

Series 5 sporting its rather nice new geared column.

Some of my many accessories

Shared wisdom on this subject is to get the sturdiest tripod that is light & compact enough so it will be used and not left home. The properties to pay attention to are:

-courtesy wall of text removal-

So all I am saying is - don't overlook the convenience factor :)
Speaking of convenience, when I was picking a tripod it was down to a choice between the column or plate 3 series, but one peculiar aspect of the plate version is that it has a much wider base and the legs fold down at an angle; a design which meant that the tripod would take up more space in my travel bag, and also it wouldn't really work with a sling which is how I'm used to going about.

Some people loath the idea of using tripods with a center column, but my testing didn't reveal any appreciable difference with the 645Z mounted, and fully extended with the column it's still more stable than my old aluminum Manfrotto was collapsed. Using the deep science of tapping (really hard) one of the legs while looking at 16x live view through a 150mm lens revealed that the Gitzo stabilized in under a second regardless of how it was extended, while the old Manfrotto could continue to oscillate for up to 10 seconds or more! And to think it weighed twice as much!

Jeffg53

As a long time Gitzo fan, I recently bought a Sirui R4203. So far, it is excellent. I only bought a new tripod as I was suffering leg lock envy of friends with newer tripods who didn't need to go through the Gitzo mumbo jumbo.

I have the Cube and D4 and prefer the D4. I find it easier to work with as it lets me make gross adjustments quickly.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You will love it.

Matt had a question on doing a very minor adjustment to level and what I love about this head is any slight movement when semi loose is very precise to do. Most ball heads flop all over the place not the Z1. Hate to use the word tight but to make a move it takes some pressure. It honestly can work as well as the cube. I had them both and the cube is really nice but it is slower. The Z1 is a lot less money too

kdphotography

Guy---you *might* like this one. I'm planning on doing a review of this new geared ball head solution. KPS T5D/T5DV. Speed of a ballhead, but precision of a geared head to make small adjustments.

Legio Aerium

I just got two of them in studio today and will have them at CI in Lake Tahoe next month. I'm not sure I can get used to their unique lever release system. Their knob release is self-explanatory. I think I am just too spoiled by the RRS lever release clamps. Much more testing to do, but seems really smooth and solid. I think adding a RRS B2 AS II lever release clamp or even a panning clamp and it maybe a winner.

More to follow....

ken

kdphotography

Harry---KPS T5DV runs about $800. It looks and feels very nicely engineered. Even packaging is first rate albeit no *ahem* coach leather bag ala Cube. It seems solid but I still need to test it in the field...

ken

Chris Valites

So all I am saying is - don't overlook the convenience factor
Can't overstate this enough. Weight is the first thing I feel you should look at as a photographer if you're hiking. If your location is relatively close to your car, that's one thing. I've been meaning to upgrade for a while now, but lugging a 13 pound studio Induro up the 4000'+ mountain this weekend made it a reality now.

Never again...

Induro's CF line has always impressed me with their lightness for what you get. My personal view is on the CGT214M2, as it's just over 18" folded, and weighs 4.2 lbs. Perfect to get strapped into the webbing on a day pack (or used with an F-stop backpack, too.)

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

What I use is RRS TVC-33S with levelling base and Arca Swiss 4D.

I replaced the quick release on the 4D head with an RRS lever type release.

Nice tripod, but a bit heavy with the additional stuff.

Best regards
Erik