The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Returning to MFD and need advice

tashley

Subscriber Member
It's a long time since I posted here - I have been caught up in other things and mostly shooting 35mm FF, so my IQ180 and Alpa STC with Rodie 40HR have largely (but not entirely) been languishing in my gear cupboard.

I went to see a show the other day at Christie's new Mayfair showroom with images by Darren Almond, from his Present Form series. These are presented in a large, black walled room with perfect lighting that only picks out the images themselves - and each one is nearly ten feet tall.

In that space, the pictures have a lot of the presence of a good, big Rothko, really. I wouldn't believe it unless I'd seen it myself but I am doing a modern and contemporary art course at the moment and the whole class was there, and after several weeks of going to almost every gallery in London, this was the one body of work that united everyone in awe.

It got me back to wanting to work on a very large scale, something I haven't done for a couple of years, and I want to dust off the IQ gear and get shooting.

But I need a longer lens to add to my Rodie 40HR.

It must be something that will play well with the Alpa and IQ180, preferably needing no LCC work, and between 90 and 150mm focal length. I focus using a Leica Disto, so it needs the HPF ring too.

So are there any 'sleepers' out there that anyone can suggest? Something that is up to the resolution of the sensor, available used and not stupidly expensive?

Thanks in advance! I am so out of the loop!

Last edited:

yaya

Welcome back Tim!
The 90mm Rodenstock, in any of its disguises (Pink, Blue or Yellow stripes) will do a fantastic job with your sensor.

Yair

Paul2660

Also consider the Schneider 90 and 120 APO. The 90 can ghost even with a hood on and when the ghosting occurs it's can be very hard to correct. Schneider 120 will use a back extension.

Rodie 90 HR-SW yellow band also needs the back extension.

Still need an LCC on any of these lenses IMO. Can't imagine using even the 40 without an LCC especially if there is sky involved or any movements.

Paul

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the info, folks. Im not sure what the pink/blue/yellow stripe differences are but I will try to look them up.

These lenses are all terrifyingly expensive! But I should have known that....

Chris Valites

Thanks for the info, folks. Im not sure what the pink/blue/yellow stripe differences are but I will try to look them up.

These lenses are all terrifyingly expensive! But I should have known that....
The yellow stripe is the newest version, and is by far the best of the bunch (it's the SW version.) The older versions like the purple APO Digaron are good, but they're not on the same level quality wise.

Paul2660

90mm Rodenstock History

Pink band, 90mm HR, and or Sironar Digital. 125mm IC

Blue Band 90mm HR-W 125 or 120mm IC (not sure) was supposed to help correct for flare/ghosting in HR, but still has the issue.

Yellow Band 90mm HR-SW 120mm IC, glass takes 1 year to cure/cool. Waiting list is rather long. Needs a back extension. Is considerably heavier than HR or HR-W and has a bit larger outer element. By far the most expensive also. Rodenstock claimed that the new glass also will no longer ghost or flare as bad as earlier versions, but I have not seen or read anything that agrees or disagrees. I can fully state the HR will ghost and even on an overcast day, with your back to the sun. It's very problematic.

But everyone who has one loves it.

Paul

tjv

My 90mm HR-W blue band is incredibly sharp across the entire image circle, but you must you it with a hood or the ghost flare will show up in a good proportion of situations. It gave me the absolute shi&S for a while, but use of a Lee universal hood has cured the problem to the point I have not seen it since buying it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the 90HR-W Blue too - no complaints but with the Alpa you will definitely benefit from the HPF rings for critical focus unless you're comfortable with IQ180 live view. It's a very non-linear scale otherwise, especially for middle distance work.

I fear Tim will need the yellow band HR-SW to satisfy his quality standards though. Unfortunately that might then question the quality of the 40HR knowing that the 32HR is there too ... :eek:

Regarding the latest Alpa 120mm - I really like the new accurate helicoid setup. I wished my 150 APO-Digitar had a similar built in HPF.

algrove

I had no idea you were into MFD. I just got rid of my P45+ and soon my associated V bodies and now am working with a 645Z. What a camera. The modern lenses might suit you, but not the older ones I dare say. Must say the old Leica Ms (well they are not old being M-P's) are collecting dust now.

Since my eyesight continues to deteriorate the 645Z AF brings some relief, not to mention a huge LCD (large font too) and LV if needed.

Welcome back.

jagsiva

Tim, welcome back.

90HRSW - as sharp as you can get and 125mm IC and can live up to the demands of the IQ180. LCC only if you are shifting into the edges and want to correct for falloff.

SK120 ASPH (this is a pretty new lens, released in the last couple of years), 150mm IC, just as good and less than 1/2 the price. Same LCC treatment as 90HRSW.

Just depends on the focal length you want. Both have barrel extensions (front or back depending on the tech cam in question). In terms of body size, the SK is about 1/3-1/4 the size of the Rodie, no kidding.

Both are about as good as you can get, and with the IQ180. Happy to send you RAWs, just PM me.

Either would leave a nice gap to be filled by the SK60 w/120mm IC. Another wonderful, and small lens with no need for a back extension - Dante talking here.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Welcome back to MFDB! I've missed your fantastic photographs and your participation.
As Graham said about your high standard, just buy the "90mm HR-W". You will loss money only once, why bother? :)
You should also consider trading the 40 with 32mm HR. Just kidding!
Your old friend
Pramote

alajuela

Hi

My 2 cents are - The 40 is fantastic and the 32 while having a larger image circle and wider field , also has some issues staying aligned in the copal shutter. Also I have shot with people 80 backs which I also have, and can not say the IQ is substantially better than the 40. maybe my 40 is an outlier and thier 32 normal, don't know.

The 90 SW (yellow ring) is great - have one, I 100% agree -- focus rings would only add to enjoyment of the lens. Other color rings on the 90 very good also

The schnieder 120 (new one) got it, but have yet to really take to it, maybe my style goes towards wide, but it does not ohh and awe me like the 40 and 90.

Great to have you back :clap:

Phil

Paul2660

Sadly you can't buy a new 90 HR-W anymore only the HR-SW. I have tried to order one several times. Rodenstock is only making the yellow bands now.

Paul

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Although I am just kidding about the 32mm HR, for the record, it's the best wide angle lens on earth. I am lucky, mine has no shutter problem. I've also had the 40 HR which I've used more frequent. It's more convenient as it does not need CF and easier for Lee filter holder.

jlm

Workshop Member
you might look into availability, SK in particular. I ordered a 60mmSK in November and will finally see it next week, that's 3-4 months