The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35XL, center filter, Lee 100mm system and shifts

thrice

Forgive me if this has been answered before.

I just took receipt of my schneider IIf Center filter for my 35XL.
Since I'm doing a lot of shifted panos with +/- 18mm on the STC I decided it was worthwhile and doesn't seem to affect sharpness.

The problem I am now running into is having the filter holder further from the lens I am getting vignette at full 18mm shift. I can only really go out to 14mm.

Has anyone encountered and come up with a solution to this problem? I am already using a wide angle adapter for the lee system.

I'm trying to 3D print a 'donut' that I can attach to the center filter that holds the filter holder even closer to the lens but I don't know how successful that will be.

Paul2660

Are you connecting to the front of the CF with a Lee Wide angle ring? I use the Lee system wide angle hood with one filter slot on this lens with no problem out to 10mm. I could go to 15 but on my sensor the color cast becomes too extreme. The wide angle ring scores down behind the lens barrel to help prevent vignetting. However 18mm with that wide a lens might still show just a bit. I would try the Lee 72mm wide angle ring.

I have taken the 40mm Rodie to 20mm of shift and the hood won't vignette however much past 16mm the internal IC Indicator hard vignettes.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm surprised that you can get to 18mm today although I guess it depends on the sensor. With my iq160/260 I could go to maybe 10mm but then the color cast would get very dark and almost like a bruise in colour. However, LCC Correction is a wonderful thing.

Ultimately I would run in to vignette problems with the lee filter holder just due to the filter slots on a 2 slot holder. Maybe a single slot holder would have extended the shift by a few mm but certainly not 18mm. I always used the CF with the 35mm otherwise the corrections got extreme.

thrice

Hi Paul,

I'm using the lee 72mm wide angle ring at present.

I'll look into the hood. The first iteration of my donut counters the vignette I get with the lee wide angle ring but now I'm seeing my polariser (on the front of the lee holder.

It's a bit ambitious I think to expect 2 slots as well as a full thickness cpl on the front of the center filter but I'll try my best :p

I've shifted the part that holds the lee system back 1.5mm, will see if that helps otherwise I might have to drop down to one filter slot and buy a 4 stop ND grad for the times I need that much density on the sky :(

Dan

thrice

I'm surprised that you can get to 18mm today
The 6um on the P45 is a wonderful thing sometimes ;) very minimal problems out to 18mm.

Ultimately I would run in to vignette problems with the lee filter holder just due to the filter slots on a 2 slot holder.
Indeed. I'm trying shifting the whole holder back 1.5mm since I'm trying to get away with a polariser and two grads! I have a feeling I'll be down to one grad after this exercise - probably for the best as stacking filters is a bit of a no no.

It mightn't be what you were looking at it but I use the Cokin x-pro universal ring on a plethora of lenses including the (sorry for the earlier typo) 28mm xl, the wider angle Schneider 28mm xl on my Arca Swiss setup and my 24mm and 17mm TS on my A7r setup. I use the Singh Ray filters rather than Lee or Cokin. (The 10 stop and 15 stop ND's) It works a treat for me. You can place the holder right up at the front of the lens (more important wide very wide angle focal lengths. I get pretty much full shift on all lenses. I bought step up rings for the different lenses when I bought the whole lot but I find myself using the universal ring quite often. Really handy when I change lenses and don't want to fiddle about replacing adaptor rings.

There seems to be 2 types out there. One has only 4 screws and thais type which has 8. This fits much better.
Cokin X-Pro Series X499N Universal Adapter Ring for Nikon | Lens + - CameraKing

Last edited:

Paul2660

Hi Dan,

You did mention you were using the Lee ring, I missed it.

Pulling off one slot will make a big difference as I have gotten to 20mm of shift with the Lee system but I believe around there, you will start to see the of the opening in the Lee filter holder.

The nice feature of the hood, is you mount a 105mm ring on it and put a 105mm CL-PL or ND filter in front. This I bet will most likely still show up on a 18mm shift with the 35mm but it's a neat feature to add later on.

Lee now sells a thin 105mm CL-PL which is 1/2 the height of any other 105mm I have used, B+W and Heliopan. So this also lets you get a bit more reach on a shift when using a CL-PL The other nice feature of having the CL-PL in front is you can rotate the filter and not have to rotate the hood, as you would with the square CL-PL in a filter slot. Most times, the CL-PL 4 x 4 won't work for me in the field as I need to rotate it and this rotates the hood into a position where I will get flare, or see the hood.

All of this being done, without a Live View setup, makes it just the more tiresome.

Paul

thrice

Thank you Enda, I will look at the universal ring.

Thanks Paul, I have the 105mm attachment on my standard filter holder and attach a B+W kaesemann Linear Pol on there.

Just getting the 3D print perfect, I think I'm up to the last print (5-6 prototypes, luckily only 2 hours for a high res print) will report how my special holder and removing one slot goes.

Cheers,
Dan