The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just received 5ds and testing VS my CF-39MS in same lens conditions

chiek

Just received. I heard It is only 4 bodies in worldwide.
Beta test version, so Don't load camera raw or c1pro. Only DPP in canon.

1st feeling is COOL , awesome image.

Uaiomex

Thanks for sharing Chiek.

These crops show the superiority of the bigger sensors. Unfortunately for them, justification of expenditure went yet another notch down.

I assume all beta (4?) testers around the world are required to use Canon glass. Once we see tests done with Otus, the IQ advantage will be even less.

Eduardo

Bernard

How's the viewfinder? Can you manual-focus by eye, or is it strictly live view?

I'm worried that it will have a fuzzy 5d3-like viewfinder which means you have to trust the autofocus or use it like a technical cam. Has Canon realized that a 50 mpx camera that can't be focused is no sharper than a 20 mpx camera that can.

chiek

How's the viewfinder? Can you manual-focus by eye, or is it strictly live view?

I'm worried that it will have a fuzzy 5d3-like viewfinder which means you have to trust the autofocus or use it like a technical cam. Has Canon realized that a 50 mpx camera that can't be focused is no sharper than a 20 mpx camera that can.
Both are perfect focus in live view.

chiek

HC50-110 set to 100 / 24-70II set to 70
ISO 100 F9, 1/160sec (fastest sync speed to 5ds)

Why f9 ? not F5.6~8 ?
Because of Studio Flash minimum output… Can't down it.

very similar to 39Mpx single shot and 50Mpx 5ds
but definitely win 39Mpx multishot.

You can download 2560x1600, 100% images,
http://chiek.viewbook.com/5ds

gazwas

WOW didn't expect that..... 5Ds shot is stunning!

I wonder if the R version would level peg with the MS digi back?

chiek

I wonder if the R version would level peg with the MS digi back?
39Mpx files are a slightly better than 5ds, but very similar…

In my opinion, 5ds files are like over unsharp mask in PS.
but it has 50Mpx detail, enough to compare MF digital back.

gazwas

In my opinion, 5ds files are like over unsharp mask in PS.
That doesn't sound attractive, do you think this is down to some background capture sharpening of the RAW file in camera?

I wasn't expecting the 5DS to be as good as your images show so a very pleasant surprise. Having seen your files I'm now looking into a Cambo Acuts and RS/SK lenses as the camera looks very capable. I can't wait to see what Sony's answer to this is.

Have you shot any exterior images with the cameras yet as I'd love to see some fine detail like concrete, tarmac, leaves, railings, grass, gravel, brickwork etc that MFDB's render very well.

tjv

Wow, amazing detail on all examples. A great option for Canon shooters, for sure. I wonder how Canon and even Zeiss's lenses stack up though, but I guess in time there will be more like the Otus. Here's hoping they up the anti and incorperate auto focus sometime soon.

Uaiomex

Gigantic WOW!!!
For my 62 year eyes the 5DS looks (thin statement) as good as the CF39. In MS mode, the CF39 looks a hair better than the 5DS.
I would expect the 5DSr to easily match the CF39 in single-shot mode.
Can I say ¡Wow! again?
Ed

P.S. We may be witnessing the dawn of a new era.

kdphotography

I've always thought that a good DSLR is a good complement to a MFDB. It's been much too long, but I think we Canon shooters may have finally got our "D800" complement that we've been asking for...

Fingers-crossed for Dante's approval

Don Libby

Don't forget that Sony is rumored to be about ready to introduce their 50-mepixel camera sometime this year. It's going to get very interesting....

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

The 24-70/2.8 LSII is a very good lens according to Roger Ciala over at LensRentals. Just to say, Chiek stops down the Canon a bit beyond optimum, that would probably be more like 5.6, but he is limited by the minimum light output of his studio flash.

We need to wait for proper raw files for final judgement.

Best regards
Erik

Wow, amazing detail on all examples. A great option for Canon shooters, for sure. I wonder how Canon and even Zeiss's lenses stack up though, but I guess in time there will be more like the Otus. Here's hoping they up the anti and incorperate auto focus sometime soon.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It is just that 2015 may become a very long year…

I am waiting for that 'Sony A9' and thinking about buying a really good short telephoto lens for it.

Best regards
Erik

Don't forget that Sony is rumored to be about ready to introduce their 50-mepixel camera sometime this year. It's going to get very interesting....