The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax Is In!

wagabundo

Hello Pradeep!

DR is great indeed. But could you take one photo in wide aperture please ? portrait ?

I love to work with shallow DOF and sensor size it's matter for me. That's why I decided to choose P65 rather than 645z. SK lenses seems to be sharper in wide aperture as well.

algrove

Pra

Congrats. I have not been disappointed at all in anything about the 645Z. Easy to use with the latest technology at your finger tips.

On tripod I love the mirror lock up feature while using the waterproof remote. First click locks up mirror and then if sound set to On each second you get a beep. To be safe I count to 5 seconds and second remote activation does the job and I hear a faint snick which is even quiter than an M240 shutter,

The new lenses cost a lot more than the older lenses, but wow are they sharp and sealed too! Well, you know this from the 55/2.8-it is a super walk around lens.

I like the 80-160 very much and use it a lot on landscape shoots. IQ is better at the low end up to around 120. Got the 300/5.6 for long stuff and the 1.4x extender for $100. Also nabbed a 150/2.8 for portraits.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Michiel.

How do you find the 80-160? I've read mixed reviews, but seems like that is another good one to get. I am also looking for something in the 200 or 300 range for wildlife in habitat shots.

Pradeep
Can't tell you about my findings because I don't have a camera yet.
But from what I have learned, as Algrove stated as well, both the 45-80 and the 80-160 are better on the short end.

As you may know you can find a lot of knowledge on - The Pentax medium format forum - as well.

The 120, 150 and 300 are still on my list. The new lenses have to wait a while :cussing:

Looking forward to your findings an pictures!

algrove

Since I have the 80-160, new 90 macro, the 150/2.8 and the 300/5.6, I have held off the getting the 120 until I see how the 150 (and maybe the 80-160) works for portraits.

It seems to get rave reviews on the Pentaxforum.

Pradeep

Hello Pradeep!

DR is great indeed. But could you take one photo in wide aperture please ? portrait ?

I love to work with shallow DOF and sensor size it's matter for me. That's why I decided to choose P65 rather than 645z. SK lenses seems to be sharper in wide aperture as well.

I am not into people photography and would not want to post a portrait of a friend or relative on a public forum. However, I can try something a bit similar later today.

The one problem I've had here is that I am unable to post a full-size image, although the 'manage attachments' option suggests one can post a tif or psd up to 100MB, they are not going through, all I can do then is post a 1200 px jpg. Still that may be enough.

I am not into people photography and would not want to post a portrait of a friend or relative on a public forum. However, I can try something a bit similar later today.

The one problem I've had here is that I am unable to post a full-size image, although the 'manage attachments' option suggests one can post a tif or psd up to 100MB, they are not going through, all I can do then is post a 1200 px jpg. Still that may be enough.
I just hotlink images from my dropbox, it's faster and easier than any method involving hosting sites and such, plus you can link anything you want.

ashwinrao1

You may want to try the adapted 110 f/2 Zeiss Planar (Hasselbald CFV sytem) for incredible portraiture results on the M9, but if you desire AF, the 150 f/2.8 FA is hard to beat.

I myself am debating the 90 Macro, with OSS, but the price of entry is high

As a sample of the 110 f/2 Zeiss, here are a couple of shots, on the 645Z, taken yesterday:

And just for fun, a couple of full size JPEG from RAW's...the lens seems sharp enough without revealing too many flaws:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashwinrao1/16851877499/sizes/o/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashwinrao1/16417939893/sizes/o/

algrove

Ashwin

I found the 90 macro in Japan for 60% of the new price. It looked good online, but when I received it was better than that. It surmise to say it had never been used and wow is it sharp! Happy camper here.

Love the sealed lenses and anyone who lives in Seattle should have a few.

P.S. Nice series. Agree with you on the 150/2.8.

Pradeep

Wow, Ashwin, great series. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I am waiting for my 45-80 from Japan, great price on it.

I've heard so many good things about the 90 2.8, I may end up getting it in the end. However, it is a bit pricey and not many used copies around. Will wait and see.

Pradeep

Since I have the 80-160, new 90 macro, the 150/2.8 and the 300/5.6, I have held off the getting the 120 until I see how the 150 (and maybe the 80-160) works for portraits.

It seems to get rave reviews on the Pentaxforum.
How do you like the 300 5.6? Would you be able to compare it to say a Canon 100-400L or the 300 2.8 in terms of size, weight and handling? Is it easier to use than the f4 version?

If you were to get a 300 and wanted the best IQ, would it be the 5.6 or the f4?

Pradeep

Pradeep

Hello Pradeep!

Here is a 'portrait' if only of the Apsara in my backyard :D

Wide open at f4, the 120mm f4 macro lens. That's the longest lens I have and probably good for portraits. I used LV to focus, no adjustments other than lens profile correction and a little sharpening in LR. The fence is about 50 feet behind the statue. The focus is on the eyes.

I am quite amazed how sharp this lens is. AF is also superb and there is no difference between LV manual focus and AF.

For some reason I am not able to link to the image through my dropbox folder, this is the best I could do.

Pradeep

I recommend the 35 FA
Chris, you do realize you are killing me with your pictures! Now I've got to go get all them lenses ;)

I just received the 45-85 from Japan (less than a week, free shipping), it is fabulous at the wide end, even wide open. At 85, need to stop down a bit. It is heavy though and built very well.

I went through the entire menu system customizing it today. I think this is the best interface I have ever used, and I mean comparing it to Canon, Leica, Fuji, Sony, Phase One, beats them all. There are so many options and I think it can only get better from here.

I was a bit hesitant getting too many lenses before I got used to the system, but I am a convert now. This is one baby I am going to keep for a long time.

So far I have the 45-85 f4.5, 55 f2.8, 75 f2.8 (what a little beauty) and the 120 f4 macro. I read all the reviews from all over and so far I am very happy with my lens purchases. They are all used except for the 75 2.8 and my total cost so far has been less than $2300 which is not bad for MF gear.

I guess the next lens is a 300mm for my trip to Africa next month and perhaps the 35 a bit later. The 90 2.8 would be awesome but is too pricey right now.

How is the 35 for landscapes? Because that is really where I would use it. Is the DA 25 still available anywhere, I can't seem to find it.

D&A

In case anyone is interested, I posted a comprehensive lens review of multiple samples of virtually all Pentax 645 AF legacy lenses (here on Getdpi). I'm sure a search will turn it up. Since then I tested all the more recently released weather resistant lenses and some of the manual focus ones but haven't had the time to the write up their review and add it to the tests I originally published here. Many were recently tested on a loaner 645Z (original tests performed on the 645D).

The tests will denote the differences between the 300 f5.6 and 300 f4 and also how the 150 f2.8 is the preferred lenses for poetrait work in my opinion over the superlative 120 f4 macro.

Dave (D&A)

Hausen

I am waiting on the return of my Leica Monochrom, sensor repair, and then it is gone and I will be investing in 645z. Keep the photos coming. Can't wait now and getting really frustrated with Leica, MM has been up there since start of January.

Pradeep

In case anyone is interested, I posted a comprehensive lens review of multiple samples of virtually all Pentax 645 AF legacy lenses (here on Getdpi). I'm sure a search will turn it up. Since then I tested all the more recently released weather resistant lenses and some of the manual focus ones but haven't had the time to the write up their review and add it to the tests I originally published here. Many were recently tested on a loaner 645Z (original tests performed on the 645D).

The tests will denote the differences between the 300 f5.6 and 300 f4 and also how the 150 f2.8 is the preferred lenses for poetrait work in my opinion over the superlative 120 f4 macro.

Dave (D&A)
Dave, yours was one of the reviews I kept coming back to, thank you. Along with Nick Devlin on LuLa, Ming Thein, Chris Giles and a few others, I did make a shortlist.

Awaiting your review of the newer lenses and the 300s eagerly.

algrove

How do you like the 300 5.6? Would you be able to compare it to say a Canon 100-400L or the 300 2.8 in terms of size, weight and handling? Is it easier to use than the f4 version?

If you were to get a 300 and wanted the best IQ, would it be the 5.6 or the f4?

Pradeep
Frankly I am very new to Pentax and as such cannot yet speak about the 300/5/6 yet. What I can say is that I bought it for its weight and relative sharpness and comments from other happy owners. I will be shooting with it on Wednesday with and without exyenders and will make comment afterwards.

For sure it handles better than the 100-400II which I just sold. This lens is less than 8" long with a smallish feeling barrel of just under 3 inches which is evident with its 67mm filter size. With MF I would seldom shoot wide open so in the /11-22 range I bet it will be sharp. I will be trying many f stops even though the venue will be difficult-Polo. I'll just keep the shuitter speed up nice and high.

Pradeep-No problem on your images as I just double click them and they enlarge for me.

Pradeep

Frankly I am very new to Pentax and as such cannot yet speak about the 300/5/6 yet. What I can say is that I bought it for its weight and relative sharpness and comments from other happy owners. I will be shooting with it on Wednesday with and without exyenders and will make comment afterwards.

For sure it handles better than the 100-400II which I just sold. This lens is less than 8" long with a smallish feeling barrel of just under 3 inches which is evident with its 67mm filter size. With MF I would seldom shoot wide open so in the /11-22 range I bet it will be sharp. I will be trying many f stops even though the venue will be difficult-Polo. I'll just keep the shuitter speed up nice and high.

Pradeep-No problem on your images as I just double click them and they enlarge for me.
I would only use the 300 for wildlife shots and perhaps distant landscapes. For the former would likely need a faster shutter speed, at least 1/500 which would be a bit limiting. However, given that I used the Canon 600 MkII with my 1DX, I am sure I can use the 645z and the 300 the same way, either on a bean bag or resting on a window sill. It is probably not too big to hand hold. Also, with the high ISO capability it would be no problem to crank it up.

Exciting times......