Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 60

Thread: Pentax Is In!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pentax Is In!

    After much deliberation I ordered the Pentax 645Z and took delivery of the kit with the 55mm 2.8 lens just over a week ago. Also bought the 75mm and 120mm FA lenses.

    I took the camera and the 55mm to Austin this past weekend when I went to visit my son. Was not able to use it much here due to the weather we were having.

    I must say I am thrilled with this camera. In so many ways it is way better than the Phase 645 DF+ and the CMOS sensor is superb. I am finally able to use just like I do my 1DX - hand hold and shoot, even out of a moving vehicle if I need to. The live view is a pleasure. I no longer worry about the ISO or the amount of light. If I just be careful of watching the highlights (expose to the left with this one), the shadows are so easy to open up it is unbelievable.

    I walked all over Austin downtown, camera in hand, shooting anything I felt like, it is a big camera but nobody paid any attention.

    I am still playing around with it and this weekend will try it out here in New York, hopefully the weather will be better.

    The Phase system is going on sale this weekend

    Thank you all on this forum. It was a difficult decision (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...uld-i-not.html)

    I am so glad I did it.

    Pradeep
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Good luck with your new system, Pradeep. Keep us posted and share some images when you can.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  3. #3
    Member Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!


  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    thats how I use my S...just like a DSLR (except my limit is at ISO 800+1 and you have more flexibility in this regard)
    With such kind of camera you get flexibility of an DSLR (almost) with the IQ of MF.
    Enjoy and post some images.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    congrats! looking forward to seeing some images

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Thanks for the follow up. I may be doing the same soon

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    83

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Cool!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Here is one, hand held, 1/15 second, ISO 800, f8 at 55mm. Basic LR adjustments with a little sharpening. Taken in the waiting lounge of a local diner that serves the best French toast you can imagine.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Here is another, taken from the moving car, I just pointed my camera out the window and shot. ISO800, f8, 1/800 sec, 55mm. Again, basic LR adjustments.

    I did not even get a chance to frame the scene, just pointed and shot with one hand. For me this means that the camera and lens combo work exceedingly well in a 'casual' setting, focus was instantaneous. Image is cropped slightly on the right side and to remove some of the sky. The image is sharp at 100%


  10. #10
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Keep 'em coming, Pradeep.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Sunrise shot taken through the dirty window of our hotel room. ISO 800, f5.6 1/125 sec 55mm. Shadows opened up beautifully in LR. For some reason I am not able to post the full sized tif file, the detail is not obvious in this downsized jpg.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    What I've realized with the Pentax is that it is more like a DSLR than a typical MF camera, handles like one. You can be as casual or as deliberate in your approach to a subject. Hand-holding is great. The first shot of the rabbit on the wall is at 1/15 seconds, something that would be impossible with most MFDB without a tripod.

    The focusing is also quick and accurate, as I saw in the shot from the moving car or from the dirty window of the hotel. There is incredible detail in the sunrise shot.

    I love the aperture ring on the FA lenses since I prefer to shoot in completely manual mode. In fact that's a bit of a niggle as with the new DA lens, the aperture setting takes a little fiddling with the back wheel, sometimes it does not 'stick' and at other times it changes up or down on its own. It maybe something I am not doing right.

    The tilting LCD is very useful, I took many waist level shots this way, LV even allows focusing though it is a bit tricky.

    The only thing (and has been pointed out before) is that you have to be careful of the highlights, recovery from overexposure is difficult if not impossible. I am trying to learn to expose for the highlights in a given scene and check the blinkies in live view if possible since the histogram on playback is from the jpeg I believe.

    The more I use it, the more I like it
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    What I've realized with the Pentax is that it is more like a DSLR than a typical MF camera, handles like one. You can be as casual or as deliberate in your approach to a subject. Hand-holding is great. The first shot of the rabbit on the wall is at 1/15 seconds, something that would be impossible with most MFDB without a tripod.

    The focusing is also quick and accurate, as I saw in the shot from the moving car or from the dirty window of the hotel. There is incredible detail in the sunrise shot.

    I love the aperture ring on the FA lenses since I prefer to shoot in completely manual mode. In fact that's a bit of a niggle as with the new DA lens, the aperture setting takes a little fiddling with the back wheel, sometimes it does not 'stick' and at other times it changes up or down on its own. It maybe something I am not doing right.

    The tilting LCD is very useful, I took many waist level shots this way, LV even allows focusing though it is a bit tricky.

    The only thing (and has been pointed out before) is that you have to be careful of the highlights, recovery from overexposure is difficult if not impossible. I am trying to learn to expose for the highlights in a given scene and check the blinkies in live view if possible since the histogram on playback is from the jpeg I believe.

    The more I use it, the more I like it
    Congrats!

    Glad you found your camera and it's true that Pentax dampened the shutter A LOT on the 645Z even compared to the 645D. I had a chance to try a preproduction camera side by side with a 645D rental unit that looked pretty new still as it had less than 5000 actuations on it I believe. It was really astounding how much more refined the 645Z was while shooting them both in store. This isn't a knock on the 645D at all because it too is an amazing camera (and I keep eyeballing them as the prices fall to VERY affordable MF entry or 645Z backup levels.) This is more of a kudos to what Pentax did in refining the 645Z and adding more lens support for those more comfortable with buying new lenses that they can easily return.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Congrats!

    Glad you found your camera and it's true that Pentax dampened the shutter A LOT on the 645Z even compared to the 645D. I had a chance to try a preproduction camera side by side with a 645D rental unit that looked pretty new still as it had less than 5000 actuations on it I believe. It was really astounding how much more refined the 645Z was while shooting them both in store. This isn't a knock on the 645D at all because it too is an amazing camera (and I keep eyeballing them as the prices fall to VERY affordable MF entry or 645Z backup levels.) This is more of a kudos to what Pentax did in refining the 645Z and adding more lens support for those more comfortable with buying new lenses that they can easily return.

    Pradeep, first of all congratulations with your new camera!

    I even started collecting some lenses for the PentaxZ.
    Made some pretty good deals.
    A like new DFA 55/2.8 for €620,-- mailing included from Australia.
    The lenses I bought till now:
    35/3.5 A in good shape
    45-80/4.5 FA
    80-160/4.5 FA
    80-160/4.5 A (probably sell this one because i got such a good deal on the FA version)
    75/2.8 LS
    200 A
    Also bought a 67 to 645 adapter and a 67 105/2.4 for portraits.

    So I am getting serious now only have to wait a while for the funds for the
    camera. Got to sell some of my lenses.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Congrats Pradeep, I'm happy for you that you found the right MF camera for you :-)

    Peter
    Peter
    My website

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Congratulations on the camera and nice lens choice too.

    Even though I've had this camera for a few months now there are still many aspects that surprise me or that I have to get to grips with. For instance, due to both the deep blacks and the really fine grain of the noise, images have the impression of an almost "computer generated" quality to them.
    There is none of that digital edge to the images that makes it look unique compared to other digital cameras; the shot below is at ISO1000, but looks cleaner than my 5D2 was at ISO100 if you equalize viewing size.



    Being able to shoot perfectly noiseless images without exposure blending is kinda surreal.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Pradeep, first of all congratulations with your new camera!

    I even started collecting some lenses for the PentaxZ.
    Made some pretty good deals.
    A like new DFA 55/2.8 for 620,-- mailing included from Australia.
    The lenses I bought till now:
    35/3.5 A in good shape
    45-80/4.5 FA
    80-160/4.5 FA
    80-160/4.5 A (probably sell this one because i got such a good deal on the FA version)
    75/2.8 LS
    200 A
    Also bought a 67 to 645 adapter and a 67 105/2.4 for portraits.

    So I am getting serious now only have to wait a while for the funds for the
    camera. Got to sell some of my lenses.

    Thanks Michiel.

    I got the 55 DA along with the camera as a kit for free, so that was a great bargain.

    Then I got the FA 120 f4 macro from KEH.com, it is a real beauty.

    Got the 75 2.8 from Adorama, new, have heard so many good things about this one that I wanted it new.

    The 45-80 is on order from eBay Japan, for less than $700 in Ex++ condition, should be here next week.

    How do you find the 80-160? I've read mixed reviews, but seems like that is another good one to get. I am also looking for something in the 200 or 300 range for wildlife in habitat shots.

    I'm selling off a lot of my Canon gear to make room in my wallet and my shelf!

    Pradeep

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    Congrats Pradeep, I'm happy for you that you found the right MF camera for you :-)

    Peter
    Indeed, thanks Peter. Just put up the Phase One on sale here today.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Congratulations on the camera and nice lens choice too.

    Even though I've had this camera for a few months now there are still many aspects that surprise me or that I have to get to grips with. For instance, due to both the deep blacks and the really fine grain of the noise, images have the impression of an almost "computer generated" quality to them.
    There is none of that digital edge to the images that makes it look unique compared to other digital cameras; the shot below is at ISO1000, but looks cleaner than my 5D2 was at ISO100 if you equalize viewing size.



    Being able to shoot perfectly noiseless images without exposure blending is kinda surreal.
    I agree, there is great DR and very low noise with this sensor. It is a real pleasure to shoot.

    Here is another one from Austin, of the numerous walls with graffiti around downtown, this one is the biggest.

    Pradeep

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Folks, the Phase One system is on sale here at: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...stem-sale.html

    I really am thankful to all of you who have guided me in the process.

    Pradeep

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Hello Pradeep!

    DR is great indeed. But could you take one photo in wide aperture please ? portrait ?

    I love to work with shallow DOF and sensor size it's matter for me. That's why I decided to choose P65 rather than 645z. SK lenses seems to be sharper in wide aperture as well.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Pra

    Congrats. I have not been disappointed at all in anything about the 645Z. Easy to use with the latest technology at your finger tips.

    On tripod I love the mirror lock up feature while using the waterproof remote. First click locks up mirror and then if sound set to On each second you get a beep. To be safe I count to 5 seconds and second remote activation does the job and I hear a faint snick which is even quiter than an M240 shutter,

    The new lenses cost a lot more than the older lenses, but wow are they sharp and sealed too! Well, you know this from the 55/2.8-it is a super walk around lens.

    I like the 80-160 very much and use it a lot on landscape shoots. IQ is better at the low end up to around 120. Got the 300/5.6 for long stuff and the 1.4x extender for $100. Also nabbed a 150/2.8 for portraits.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Thanks Michiel.

    How do you find the 80-160? I've read mixed reviews, but seems like that is another good one to get. I am also looking for something in the 200 or 300 range for wildlife in habitat shots.

    Pradeep
    Can't tell you about my findings because I don't have a camera yet.
    But from what I have learned, as Algrove stated as well, both the 45-80 and the 80-160 are better on the short end.

    As you may know you can find a lot of knowledge on - The Pentax medium format forum - as well.

    The 120, 150 and 300 are still on my list. The new lenses have to wait a while

    Looking forward to your findings an pictures!

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Since I have the 80-160, new 90 macro, the 150/2.8 and the 300/5.6, I have held off the getting the 120 until I see how the 150 (and maybe the 80-160) works for portraits.

    It seems to get rave reviews on the Pentaxforum.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by wagabundo View Post
    Hello Pradeep!

    DR is great indeed. But could you take one photo in wide aperture please ? portrait ?

    I love to work with shallow DOF and sensor size it's matter for me. That's why I decided to choose P65 rather than 645z. SK lenses seems to be sharper in wide aperture as well.

    I am not into people photography and would not want to post a portrait of a friend or relative on a public forum. However, I can try something a bit similar later today.

    The one problem I've had here is that I am unable to post a full-size image, although the 'manage attachments' option suggests one can post a tif or psd up to 100MB, they are not going through, all I can do then is post a 1200 px jpg. Still that may be enough.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    I am not into people photography and would not want to post a portrait of a friend or relative on a public forum. However, I can try something a bit similar later today.

    The one problem I've had here is that I am unable to post a full-size image, although the 'manage attachments' option suggests one can post a tif or psd up to 100MB, they are not going through, all I can do then is post a 1200 px jpg. Still that may be enough.
    I just hotlink images from my dropbox, it's faster and easier than any method involving hosting sites and such, plus you can link anything you want.

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Congrats, Pradeep. It's a great system
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    You may want to try the adapted 110 f/2 Zeiss Planar (Hasselbald CFV sytem) for incredible portraiture results on the M9, but if you desire AF, the 150 f/2.8 FA is hard to beat.

    I myself am debating the 90 Macro, with OSS, but the price of entry is high

    As a sample of the 110 f/2 Zeiss, here are a couple of shots, on the 645Z, taken yesterday:













    And just for fun, a couple of full size JPEG from RAW's...the lens seems sharp enough without revealing too many flaws:

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashwin...77499/sizes/o/

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashwin...39893/sizes/o/
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Beautiful series Ashwin! Thanks for that.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Ashwin

    I found the 90 macro in Japan for 60% of the new price. It looked good online, but when I received it was better than that. It surmise to say it had never been used and wow is it sharp! Happy camper here.

    Love the sealed lenses and anyone who lives in Seattle should have a few.

    P.S. Nice series. Agree with you on the 150/2.8.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Wow, Ashwin, great series. Thanks for sharing.

    Yes, I am waiting for my 45-80 from Japan, great price on it.

    I've heard so many good things about the 90 2.8, I may end up getting it in the end. However, it is a bit pricey and not many used copies around. Will wait and see.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Since I have the 80-160, new 90 macro, the 150/2.8 and the 300/5.6, I have held off the getting the 120 until I see how the 150 (and maybe the 80-160) works for portraits.

    It seems to get rave reviews on the Pentaxforum.
    How do you like the 300 5.6? Would you be able to compare it to say a Canon 100-400L or the 300 2.8 in terms of size, weight and handling? Is it easier to use than the f4 version?

    If you were to get a 300 and wanted the best IQ, would it be the 5.6 or the f4?

    Pradeep

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by wagabundo View Post
    Hello Pradeep!

    DR is great indeed. But could you take one photo in wide aperture please ? portrait ?

    I love to work with shallow DOF and sensor size it's matter for me. That's why I decided to choose P65 rather than 645z. SK lenses seems to be sharper in wide aperture as well.
    Here is a 'portrait' if only of the Apsara in my backyard

    Wide open at f4, the 120mm f4 macro lens. That's the longest lens I have and probably good for portraits. I used LV to focus, no adjustments other than lens profile correction and a little sharpening in LR. The fence is about 50 feet behind the statue. The focus is on the eyes.

    I am quite amazed how sharp this lens is. AF is also superb and there is no difference between LV manual focus and AF.

    For some reason I am not able to link to the image through my dropbox folder, this is the best I could do.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Senior Member Chris Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    I recommend the 35 FA
    Chris Giles Photography

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    I recommend the 35 FA
    Chris, you do realize you are killing me with your pictures! Now I've got to go get all them lenses

    I just received the 45-85 from Japan (less than a week, free shipping), it is fabulous at the wide end, even wide open. At 85, need to stop down a bit. It is heavy though and built very well.

    I went through the entire menu system customizing it today. I think this is the best interface I have ever used, and I mean comparing it to Canon, Leica, Fuji, Sony, Phase One, beats them all. There are so many options and I think it can only get better from here.

    I was a bit hesitant getting too many lenses before I got used to the system, but I am a convert now. This is one baby I am going to keep for a long time.

    So far I have the 45-85 f4.5, 55 f2.8, 75 f2.8 (what a little beauty) and the 120 f4 macro. I read all the reviews from all over and so far I am very happy with my lens purchases. They are all used except for the 75 2.8 and my total cost so far has been less than $2300 which is not bad for MF gear.

    I guess the next lens is a 300mm for my trip to Africa next month and perhaps the 35 a bit later. The 90 2.8 would be awesome but is too pricey right now.

    How is the 35 for landscapes? Because that is really where I would use it. Is the DA 25 still available anywhere, I can't seem to find it.

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    In case anyone is interested, I posted a comprehensive lens review of multiple samples of virtually all Pentax 645 AF legacy lenses (here on Getdpi). I'm sure a search will turn it up. Since then I tested all the more recently released weather resistant lenses and some of the manual focus ones but haven't had the time to the write up their review and add it to the tests I originally published here. Many were recently tested on a loaner 645Z (original tests performed on the 645D).

    The tests will denote the differences between the 300 f5.6 and 300 f4 and also how the 150 f2.8 is the preferred lenses for poetrait work in my opinion over the superlative 120 f4 macro.

    Dave (D&A)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    I am waiting on the return of my Leica Monochrom, sensor repair, and then it is gone and I will be investing in 645z. Keep the photos coming. Can't wait now and getting really frustrated with Leica, MM has been up there since start of January.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    In case anyone is interested, I posted a comprehensive lens review of multiple samples of virtually all Pentax 645 AF legacy lenses (here on Getdpi). I'm sure a search will turn it up. Since then I tested all the more recently released weather resistant lenses and some of the manual focus ones but haven't had the time to the write up their review and add it to the tests I originally published here. Many were recently tested on a loaner 645Z (original tests performed on the 645D).

    The tests will denote the differences between the 300 f5.6 and 300 f4 and also how the 150 f2.8 is the preferred lenses for poetrait work in my opinion over the superlative 120 f4 macro.

    Dave (D&A)
    Dave, yours was one of the reviews I kept coming back to, thank you. Along with Nick Devlin on LuLa, Ming Thein, Chris Giles and a few others, I did make a shortlist.

    Awaiting your review of the newer lenses and the 300s eagerly.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    How do you like the 300 5.6? Would you be able to compare it to say a Canon 100-400L or the 300 2.8 in terms of size, weight and handling? Is it easier to use than the f4 version?

    If you were to get a 300 and wanted the best IQ, would it be the 5.6 or the f4?

    Pradeep
    Frankly I am very new to Pentax and as such cannot yet speak about the 300/5/6 yet. What I can say is that I bought it for its weight and relative sharpness and comments from other happy owners. I will be shooting with it on Wednesday with and without exyenders and will make comment afterwards.

    For sure it handles better than the 100-400II which I just sold. This lens is less than 8" long with a smallish feeling barrel of just under 3 inches which is evident with its 67mm filter size. With MF I would seldom shoot wide open so in the /11-22 range I bet it will be sharp. I will be trying many f stops even though the venue will be difficult-Polo. I'll just keep the shuitter speed up nice and high.

    Pradeep-No problem on your images as I just double click them and they enlarge for me.

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Frankly I am very new to Pentax and as such cannot yet speak about the 300/5/6 yet. What I can say is that I bought it for its weight and relative sharpness and comments from other happy owners. I will be shooting with it on Wednesday with and without exyenders and will make comment afterwards.

    For sure it handles better than the 100-400II which I just sold. This lens is less than 8" long with a smallish feeling barrel of just under 3 inches which is evident with its 67mm filter size. With MF I would seldom shoot wide open so in the /11-22 range I bet it will be sharp. I will be trying many f stops even though the venue will be difficult-Polo. I'll just keep the shuitter speed up nice and high.

    Pradeep-No problem on your images as I just double click them and they enlarge for me.
    I would only use the 300 for wildlife shots and perhaps distant landscapes. For the former would likely need a faster shutter speed, at least 1/500 which would be a bit limiting. However, given that I used the Canon 600 MkII with my 1DX, I am sure I can use the 645z and the 300 the same way, either on a bean bag or resting on a window sill. It is probably not too big to hand hold. Also, with the high ISO capability it would be no problem to crank it up.

    Exciting times......

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Someone somewhere maybe on the PentaxForum mentioned he like the 400 for long shots. That might be an option for you.

    I got my 300 mainly for distant landscape use, but might carry it more often than I figured since it weighs so little.

  42. #42
    Senior Member Chris Giles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Pradeep, I'm liking the 35 FA more than the A right now.

    I've a 300mm F4 FA arriving tomorrow, if you're after a 300mm I'll be selling my A version shortly (as long as the FA version is razor sharp like my current version is). Depends on your weight and AF needs of course.

    I shot a wedding over the weekend with the Z too. Whilst I really like the image quality the zoom lenses are a little slow to attain focus for me and at 4.5 a little too soft (relative to the primes) so I'll be using primes almost exclusively now.

    Good times. I sold my Hasselblad btw, took a few months though and there's a lot of them on ebay at the moment, more than I've ever seen.

    That shot with the 35mm FA of my dog I posted was from a deliberate underexposure:
    Chris Giles Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    Pradeep, I'm liking the 35 FA more than the A right now.

    I've a 300mm F4 FA arriving tomorrow, if you're after a 300mm I'll be selling my A version shortly (as long as the FA version is razor sharp like my current version is). Depends on your weight and AF needs of course.

    I shot a wedding over the weekend with the Z too. Whilst I really like the image quality the zoom lenses are a little slow to attain focus for me and at 4.5 a little too soft (relative to the primes) so I'll be using primes almost exclusively now.

    Good times. I sold my Hasselblad btw, took a few months though and there's a lot of them on ebay at the moment, more than I've ever seen.

    That shot with the 35mm FA of my dog I posted was from a deliberate underexposure:
    Chris, I think you may be right, the zooms are not tack sharp wide open I am told. The 45-85 I just got is sharp at 45mm but need to stop down at longer lengths.

    Unbelievable, how much the shadows can be pulled, your picture demonstrates that once again.

    Unlike with Canon, on the Pentax I am metering the entire frame instead of center weighted since it is critical to expose for the highlights. There is little fear of underexposure (usually).

    FWIW, I bit the bullet and ordered a 150 2.8 and a 300 5.6 last night from Japan. Former is brand new for $880, latter in 'near mint' condition for $750. This would complete my collection except for an ultra-wide. I am likely to go for a 25mm if I can find one or will wait for them to release a newer version.

    After my experience with the 45-55 from Japan I am quite happy to get more stuff from there.

    Pradeep

  44. #44
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    That shadow pull looks absolutely unbelievable.... Amazing..

    Pradeep, just sent you an email :-)

    Peter
    Peter
    My website

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    I'm glad you're happy with your choice Pradeep. If I were going to Africa, I'd take the 400mm FA; it's excellent and not very heavy.
    A tip I just discovered (perhaps because this is my first use of live view): with the 645Z in live and focus peaking, using the optical DOF preview on the shutter allows you to see the DOF with peaking and no dimming.

    Tom

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    I'm glad you're happy with your choice Pradeep. If I were going to Africa, I'd take the 400mm FA; it's excellent and not very heavy.
    A tip I just discovered (perhaps because this is my first use of live view): with the 645Z in live and focus peaking, using the optical DOF preview on the shutter allows you to see the DOF with peaking and no dimming.

    Tom

    Tom, thanks for the tip, I tried something like this last night but wasn't sure what I was looking at. Now it makes sense.

    I am not thinking of a long zoom for Africa to get close to the animals but rather a medium length (say around 200mm or so) so I can get an 'animal in habitat' rather than a close and tight portrait. I sold my Canon 600 MkII a few months ago because over the years I've come to realize that my most evocative images are the ones where the animal is smaller in the frame and is a part of the story and not the story in itself.

    So, from an MF perspective, 300mm may be just right. I plan to take the 75 2.8, the 150 2.8 and the 300 5.6 to Africa (of course I will also have my Canon gear for the fast action shots). I may throw in the 55mm if I have room.

    Here are a couple I took in Kenya and Tanzania. The lions on the airstrip (Canon FF, 70mm)is one of my favorites, nothing screams Africa like lions and nothing illustrates the human/wildlife interaction better than something like this. I also love the buffaloes in the Ngorongoro crater (Sony APS-C, 24mm), again, the majesty of the crater and the wonderful life within is quite evident.

    Just my thoughts.

    Pradeep
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #47
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Beautiful images Pradeep!

    Are you familiar with Andy Bigg's work? I think you'll enjoy it.
    Andy Biggs Photo Safaris

    Peter
    Peter
    My website

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    Beautiful images Pradeep!

    Are you familiar with Andy Bigg's work? I think you'll enjoy it.
    Andy Biggs Photo Safaris

    Peter
    Thanks Peter. Yes, I do love Andy's work, he has been using a Phase One kit lately alongside his Nikon gear.

    My favorite wildlife photographers are Frans Lanting and Nick Brandt, the latter particularly has a unique style which he developed using MF film cameras. There are many many others too, like Greg du Toit who are simply amazing.

    The thing with all of these people is that that is all they do, take pictures in an environment they have worked hard to become absolutely familiar with. They spend weeks if not months on site and are totally dedicated to their cause. It is no wonder that they are able to achieve the high quality and emotions in their images.

    Me, I am at best a weekend photographer with a full time job that keeps me busier than I'd like, but also allows me to indulge in my passion for photography. I am happy if I can take a shot that inspires me to go out and do some more.

    Pradeep
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #49
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    @onelittlecamera
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Hey Pradeep!

    Great to see the "z" has fired your passion to shoot. Mine too. I've vaguely intended to do a follow-up review, but mostly I'm too busy shooting. I have picked almost every lens bc they are so darn cheap compared to the other systems. I've not bothered with the 90mm bc it is just too big and the VR is silly, imho, and the price is too high. But I would be all over a new 45-90mm, which I think is on the roadmap. The existing 45-85 is, as you say, surprisingly good for the price, but not superb wide-open on the longer end. The 80-160 is very unit-dependent in my experience, though it is never stellar at 160 - much better at 150mm.

    I like the 300f5.6 but regret selling the 300FA f4 when I sold the 645D.

    The 35mm is superb - I actually slightly prefer the feel of the "A". Version.

    And yes, the FA120 macro is the most ridiculous lens for the price.

    Cheers!

    - N.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #50
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Pentax Is In!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Devlin View Post
    I have picked almost every lens bc they are so darn cheap compared to the other systems.
    There must be a reason for it, no?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •