The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lower Priced 'Surface 3' announced with full Windows

narikin

No - not a typo or flashback!

Microsoft have announced the 'Surface 3' (as opposed to the 'Surface Pro 3' that we know well here) this one comes in 64gb and 128gb versions and is $499 and $599.

It runs FULL windows 8.1, so in theory can do what we need. But just has an Intel Atom processor, so will be much less powerful and slow to build previews etc. Not sure if that makes it unusable or not, but thought it worth sharing. It should have a longer battery life from that lower power processor.

I still hear rumors of an iPad Pro, but we can be confident it will come with a high price tag, and most likely a single funky connector that no one else has used as yet <sigh>

Chris Giles

I saw this and it peaked my interest significantly. I love my Ipad air, but being unable to transfer files or run 'real software' is really beginning to become a problem. Sure, if the Ipad pro addresses this need then things could get interesting. But not if they use that new usb connection.

But I prefer a smaller screen device on the road.

iiiNelson

I'm a Mac guy so I'm sort of waiting to see what the SP4 will be like and if Apple will finally release a MacBook Tab/iPad Pro this fall before buying anything.

Paul2660

It will be interesting to see if the Atom can run C1, tethered. It's a lighter machine and probably gets better battery life due to the processor.

Paul

kdphotography

I really doubt the Atom can run C1Pro8. But there's only one way to find out. :D

Thumbdrive with C1Pro installer on it. Go into Best Buy, install. Tether your IQ180 and see what happens. They won't mind at all. :ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Forget Best Buy, go pay a visit to your local Microsoft store to try it - the staff may thank you for breaking up their lonely day ...

Btw in Portland I think that Apple have a cruel and sadistic mind because we have a huge beautiful glass Apple Store that's always packed and buzzing practically next door to the small Microsoft store nestled next to the AT&T & Verizon guys on a corner with no traffic. Nice guys at the MS store but they seem dejected.

Egor

I wonder if it would be a good replacement for my inventory-pullers to reference products from? We have been trying to use a iPad Air for our peeps to walk around the warehouse with to wirelessly view product on the Mac servers for pulling product for next shoot. The iPad can connect to the servers OK but can't see psd's, only jpegs. It also is a little iffy with EXCEL.
A little run-around S4 with just EXCEL and Bridge may be the solution we're looking for. OTOH, cross platform search engines are neutered in that they can not see metadata without serious gymnastics...sigh...MBA is probably our only solution

jagsiva

I really doubt the Atom can run C1Pro8. But there's only one way to find out. :D

Thumbdrive with C1Pro installer on it. Go into Best Buy, install. Tether your IQ180 and see what happens. They won't mind at all. :ROTFL:
No need for a thumb drive, I installed C1 demo on a SP3 in Bestbuy over wifi :)
worked like a charm.

tjv

What's wrong with an 11" MacBook Air for field tethering? I ask because I genuinly have no idea. Whay's the advantage of a tablet in the field? If it's purely low bulk, wouldn't a small Air be a better alternative? Again, I've never been into tethering, so would be glad to hear why.

kdphotography

What's wrong with an 11" MacBook Air for field tethering? I ask because I genuinly have no idea. Whay's the advantage of a tablet in the field? If it's purely low bulk, wouldn't a small Air be a better alternative? Again, I've never been into tethering, so would be glad to hear why.
It's all about the form factor! :) A tablet is much easier to handle and requires less to support it in the field.

Surface Pro is compact and easy to tether with USB3, powerful enough like a laptop, and the touch screen interface makes it a natural extension of the IQ/Credo interface.

ken

jagsiva

The i7 in the SP3 is also quite a bit more powerful than the new Macbook. I'm not sure even the Macbook will cut it for large files and tethered shooting.

The SP3 i7 w/8GB is quite impressive for a 1.7lb tablet.

narikin

No need for a thumb drive, I installed C1 demo on a SP3 in Bestbuy over wifi :)
worked like a charm.
Yes you are saying an "SP3" which is a Surface PRO 3, but this is the Surface 3, (note no 'Pro' in there) with an Atom processor rather than full Intel mobile processor - quite different proposition to run C1 on that.

narikin

Yeah, many people here own a Macbook Air, but went out and got an SP3 regardless - the whole tablet form and touchscreen (double tap to go 100% etc, just like on the back) works like a charm. In my (and many other folks here) opinion it is the better choice for this task, but of course, you may feel different.

jagsiva

Yes you are saying an "SP3" which is a Surface PRO 3, but this is the Surface 3, (note no 'Pro' in there) with an Atom processor rather than full Intel mobile processor - quite different proposition to run C1 on that.
I realize that. What I was saying is that the new Macbook (12") and the NEW Surface 3 (not SP) will likely have a harder time with C1P. My reference to SP3 above was simply to state that I was able to install it on a demo machine at Best Buy.

jerome_m

I have used a 11" MacBook Air (i7, 1,7 GHz) for tethering to an Hasselblad H4D in the "field". I could not use a surface anyway, since Hasselblad uses firewire.
It did work, but was not very convenient. The screen is very hard to read outside. The form factor is far from ideal, a tablet would indeed be easier. The system was a bit underpowered to run Phocus really smoothly.

tjv

Thanks. I don't currently have any digital back, so was just interested in why people prefer the tablet over a small laptop / netbook. All makes sense now! I wonder if Apple will ever release a "pro" iPad with extra connections to compete in this segment?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A small laptop can work but I always found that I needed to use a hoodman laptop screen turret shade to be able to use it.

jerome_m

I wonder if Apple will ever release a "pro" iPad with extra connections to compete in this segment?
Probably not. Apple has sold 200 millions iPads. They don't seem to be set up for a market of a few thousands machines at most. They even refused some applications designed for the special needs of the photographers who are not willing to use the iPad iPhoto subsystem. Apple appears to be only set up for a mass market of consumers and sees these mainly using the built-in camera and uploading everything to their cloud.

Then there is the problem of firewire, which is quickly disappearing as an interface. I don't see anyone interested to manufacture a tablet with a firewire interface.

tjv

But what about a beeted up iPad with Thuderbolt (which I presume one could make do with by using an adaptor like I use with my Flextight 969), or would the back also need to be powered by the tablet? I know Apple is a pedantic about apps, so perhaps it's just a silly question, but I would have though they needed to pay attention to professional imaging professionals. It's a status thing, and Apple stayed in business for a long time because of a solid professional user base.

As a side note – and I know people have said WIFI connections are not so stable in the field – do Hasselblad or Phase allow for WIFI tethering of full resolution JPG or RAW files? I know this would be a lot slower than a hard wired connection, but such a feature would be useful in many situations.

I'm asking all of these questions because I'm still torn between the CFV-50c and the H5D-50. The latter is more expensive, but I imagine I could forgo the liveview of the 50c for the option of using a modern SLR for times when a technical camera is not practical. The CCD chip produces great results –*it's not about file quality for me – but if I'm limited to GG focusing, it'd be good to be able to check for accurate focus on a tablet when in the field.

Probably not. Apple has sold 200 millions iPads. They don't seem to be set up for a market of a few thousands machines at most. They even refused some applications designed for the special needs of the photographers who are not willing to use the iPad iPhoto subsystem. Apple appears to be only set up for a mass market of consumers and sees these mainly using the built-in camera and uploading everything to their cloud.

Then there is the problem of firewire, which is quickly disappearing as an interface. I don't see anyone interested to manufacture a tablet with a firewire interface.

jerome_m

But what about a beeted up iPad with Thuderbolt (which I presume one could make do with by using an adaptor like I use with my Flextight 969), or would the back also need to be powered by the tablet? I know Apple is a pedantic about apps, so perhaps it's just a silly question, but I would have though they needed to pay attention to professional imaging professionals. It's a status thing, and Apple stayed in business for a long time because of a solid professional user base.
This would probably needs it own thread, but to answer your questions shortly:

• An iPad with thunderbolt is very unlikely. Apple actually appears to be phasing out thunderbolt, which is absent from the "New Macbook" (the official name of the 12" retina macbook).
  • Power is not a real problem if one has the limited knowledge necessary to solder a cable with a battery connector.
  • It seems that Apple is not as much interested in the professional imaging business as they used to be. They appear to be abandoning that market to Adobe.

That last point would easily fill a whole thread. I'll just say that the market for tablets is geared towards content consumer, be it games, magazine subscription or movies. It seems that Apple (and others) business model is to sell a 300€ tablet and another 300€ of apps and subscriptions over its lifespan. Professional users have no space in that model.

As a side note – and I know people have said WIFI connections are not so stable in the field – do Hasselblad or Phase allow for WIFI tethering of full resolution JPG or RAW files? I know this would be a lot slower than a hard wired connection, but such a feature would be useful in many situations.
I think that is the idea behind the wifi enabled versions of the backs.

I'm asking all of these questions because I'm still torn between the CFV-50c and the H5D-50. The latter is more expensive, but I imagine I could forgo the liveview of the 50c for the option of using a modern SLR for times when a technical camera is not practical. The CCD chip produces great results –*it's not about file quality for me – but if I'm limited to GG focusing, it'd be good to be able to check for accurate focus on a tablet when in the field.
What I use for that is either
  • the Macbook air and tethering via thunderbolt-firewire (you can even use some sort of liveview then) or
  • use a SD card to CF interface in the back and use the SD card reader on the iPad.

Alternatively, one could do something similar on android by installing alternative software. I am enquiring about that at the moment.