The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ160 wide lenses for stitching with tech camera

Dcchurchill

I have recently upgraded my back from a phase one p25+ to an iq160 and am having issues with the wide angled lenses when stitching.
I have a Rodenstock apo sironar 35mm and 45mm.

The 45 is sometimes ok not quite sure why it varies, the 35mm is fairly hopeless and has incorrectable cast at the edges.

Would the 35 mm and 47mm Schnieders xl s be any better. Or how about replacing both with the Rodenstock 40mm HR?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

David

jagsiva

40HR is your best bet, if you need wider, 32HR.

The 35 and 47 SK are not really usable on the IQ180, though there are people that do use them on the IQ160.

I tried the new 43XL on my IQ180, and was not too thrilled, but I think it would be ok on the IQ160, but ask around on this forum.

Dcchurchill

Thanks. It's looking like that's the way I'll go. Will it need a centre filter? I can't see one on the dealer's site.

Pemihan

I faced the same issues when upgrading from Leaf Aptus-II 7 (33mp) to IQ160. I had the 35XL and 47XL and decided to sell them both and get the Rodenstock 40HR and Schneider 60XL instead, both in T/S mounts. Expensive yes but worth it (to me)
For stitching I wouldn't recommend the 35 and 47XL with the IQ160, not only because of the color cast but also due to issues with tiling when shifting, especially left/right.

jagsiva

There really isn't a CF available from Rodie, but even with the IQ180, I have never felt I needed one

Pemihan

Do you use a centre filter with it?
With the 35xl and 47XL I did. With the 40HR I don't feel the need for a CF and if fact Rodenstock doesn't have one, but I think Dave (dchew) is using another CF for it.
I have a CF for the 60XL but have never used it.

Paul2660

I have recently upgraded my back from a phase one p25+ to an iq160 and am having issues with the wide angled lenses when stitching.

The 45 is sometimes ok not quite sure why it varies, the 35mm is fairly hopeless and has incorrectable cast at the edges.

Would the 35 mm and 47mm Schnieders xl s be any better. Or how about replacing both with the Rodenstock 40mm HR?

Thanks

David
Here is a run down of the wides I have used on a 160/260 on tech.

28 Rodie. Excellent on center, amazing hyperfocal, max shift 7mm and that's a push. If you have a lot of blue sky it's more like 5mm max. I use the Rodenstock CF with this lens. Big lens, and heavy.

35 SK Schneider, Excellent on center, Best I feel a F11 to F16. Shift max 10mm, 8mm better. 10mm will show a good bit of color shift, so if blue sky is involved, can be hard to correct. Lens can tile and will give you microlens ripple, which C1 can't always totally correct. Very small footprint.

40mm Rodie, Excellent on center, in my use, best from F5.6 to F11. Will easily shift to 20mm on the 160, however due to internal IC indicator, 15mm is about max. After that the IC indicator will create a hard vignette. If working with sky, very hard to correct, if not sky, sometimes I can get creative, other wise you are cropping quite a bit. I sometimes use a CF on this lens with the 260, as in low light extreme shifts are noisy on the CCD backs. Expect to bracket in low light. Hyperfocal is great and with a bit of tilt about 12 to 15 feet to infinity. This lens seems to tile less on the 260/160, but still gets microlens ripple at times. C1 does a good job of correcting ripple IMO on this lens, better than Schneiders. However I STRONGLY feel that C1 does not do a great job on the color cast on shifts, I still see red cast in blues on 12mm to 15mm of shift at times. As mentioned great all round lens. I bit heavy.

43 SK, Excellent on center, a bit less hyperfocal distance than 40mm Rodie, 18 feet to infinity. Needs a CF IMO. Shifts, up to 18mm on the 260/160, but expect a bit of detail loss on 15mm out. Color shift can be intense and expect tiling and microlens rippling. C1 again doesn't totally seem to correct for this on the 43SK. Past 15mm of shift a bit of detail smearing, but not as bad as on the 180 back. I feel best from F11 to F16. Very light weight and compact, nice to carry in the field.

60SK, so far my best around lens, on the CCD 60MP. I use the CF on it, others don't but I feel it helps on shifts. You can shift this lens to 25mm on the 160/260. At this much shift, color casts can be extreme and microlens ripple may cause issues. I use this lens to around 20mm most of the time. No internal IC indicator, so no hard vignette. Really very little detail fall off out to 20mm, by 25mm starting to show a bit. Color casts can be correctly by C1 pretty well, and from what I have seen microlens ripple. However this lens doesn't seem to have as much ripple issues as the 35 and 43SK. Really hoping that this lens plays as well or close with the CMOS sensors. Testing is a bit vague on this. Light weight package, and compact.

Paul

jagsiva

+1 on the 60XL, best all rounder - price, size, no extension box, sharpness, IC size, colour, colour shift

fmueller

Thanks

David

I recently went from a P40+ to a Credo 60. The SK 35 xl was useable but a CF was used and the LCC was doing a lot of work even with the lens centered. I sold the 35 xl and replaced it with a 40HR. I briefly considered the 32HR but realized I didn't really live on the wide end of things enough to justify the cost, size, and de facto requirement for a CF, the last item being what I have gleaned from the crowd sourced intel of GetDpi.

I am in the early stages of learning the 40HR and my initial observations are the LCC does very little work with the lens unshifted, I was very pleasantly surprised! When shifted the LCC does a bit more work, but it's mostly for vignetting, color casts are still well controlled. 10mm shifted stitches are easy work for the 40HR, and I believe the general consensus in Dantes inferno is that 20mm shift works well also, but I haven't really worked that very hard yet.

My summary so far is that the 40HR is worlds better and more versatile on a 60mp (Dalsa) sensor than than the 35xl and will offer you equal or greater angle of view when stitching capabilities and limitations are balanced between the two. You and your IQ 160 will be much happier with the 40HR. Only downside is that the 40 HR is quite a bit larger than the diminutive 35xl.

Fred

Don Libby

One of my oldest and most used lens on the WRS was a SK35 (with CF). The closer I got to getting a IQ180 I knew that I'd have to drop it (used it well with a P45+, P65 and IQ160) so I went with the 40HR and love it. No need for a CF and very forgiving as far as LCC goes with the 160 although I've found I need to do more with the 180. I've been very pleased with the movements both on the 160 and 180 so if you're in a place where you might need to go wide then you can go really wide. That also helps in keeping the weight down as you hike out someplace - no need for dual lens.

dchew

With the 35xl and 47XL I did. With the 40HR I don't feel the need for a CF and if fact Rodenstock doesn't have one, but I think Dave (dchew) is using another CF for it.
I have a CF for the 60XL but have never used it.
That was Paul with the center filter I think. I do have (and use) one for the 60xl though. I echo your comments and Paul's regarding both the 40hr and 60xl.

I used to have the 43xl. Although I miss the size, the 40 is the more useful option.

Dave

Chris Valites

35 SK Schneider, Excellent on center, Best I feel a F11 to F16. Shift max 10mm, 8mm better. 10mm will show a good bit of color shift, so if blue sky is involved, can be hard to correct. Lens can tile and will give you microlens ripple, which C1 can't always totally correct. Very small footprint.
Paul
I have to second the 35mm usage. I was just at a client's studio where they had two 60mp Credo backs with a 35mm Sinaron lens, and the tiling was driving them insane. They were using it specifically for a client who required something with that perspective, but the color casting tiling they were running into was ruining their workflow. I recommended they either use a smaller crop sensor back (like their Credo 40) or move to a 40mm Rodenstock HR lens.

Dcchurchill

Thanks everybody. You are all reinforcing my decision. Now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the lens. Hopefully soon......I'll do an update on how I get on with it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have to second the 35mm usage. I was just at a client's studio where they had two 60mp Credo backs with a 35mm Sinaron lens, and the tiling was driving them insane. They were using it specifically for a client who required something with that perspective, but the color casting tiling they were running into was ruining their workflow. I recommended they either use a smaller crop sensor back (like their Credo 40) or move to a 40mm Rodenstock HR lens.
35mm Sinaron or 35mm Digitar?