The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

question for alpa/cambo ds users

jklotz

I've got a Cambo WDS, 35, 47 and 72xl lenses. I've noticed quite a bit of flare when shooting at night, with lights coming from anywhere close to the sides. Add the center filter, and it gets worse. The only solution I've been able to successfully implement is a magic arm with a makeshift flag clamped on to the tripod. It's a bit of a pain, not to mention it only works from 1 direction.

Anybody found a more "elegant" solution for a lens hood for said lenses?

Thanks!

P

parsnip_lee

I basically do the same thing. I have a flexible arm with a binder clip on one end that holds a card. The nice thing about the cambo lenses is the additional bull bars which allow you to clip cards on two sides of the lens. In the most dire of situations I can shade from 3 sides. I suppose I could fashion another flexible arm to shade from all 4 directions. It's a bit of a DIY/makeshift answer, but it does work well with some tweaking.

C

carbonmetrictree

I've been looking into a flag contraption, but haven't found an elegant solution, yet. If I want to move a bit easier at night, I tend to shoot two exposures with one hand in the frame flagging the light hitting the lens. There is a gadget called "The Flarebuster" that is a flag connected to a flexible arm mounted on a hot shoe. But, I like using my viewfinder for general framing, so I'm still using a flex arm mounted with a small 6" flag clamped to the leg of my tripod.

jklotz

Sean, tell me more about this clip on flag you are using on the lens bars. I'd want something with a "rubberized" grip to avoid marking up the lens. Have you found a solution?

Thanks!

Don Libby

Take a look at Michael Reichmann's "In Search of Ultimate Image Quality". The second image into the article he shows the camera setup and underneath is the following caption, "The gizmo attached to the rear standard's accessory shoe, with a WhiBal black card attached, is used as a third arm to shield the lens from flare. It's called a FlareBuster."

This just looks very simple and since i don't use the shoe I thought this could work so I looked into it at B&H; kits run from $19.95 to $29.95. I haven't ordered this as yet but it is on my "to do" list.

Simple yet it appears to work ...

don

I've been looking into a flag contraption, but haven't found an elegant solution, yet. If I want to move a bit easier at night, I tend to shoot two exposures with one hand in the frame flagging the light hitting the lens. There is a gadget called "The Flarebuster" that is a flag connected to a flexible arm mounted on a hot shoe. But, I like using my viewfinder for general framing, so I'm still using a flex arm mounted with a small 6" flag clamped to the leg of my tripod.
Andrew:
You can use the Flarebuster and not have to remove your viewfinder if you purchase an accessory shoe from Alpa and mount it on the rear of the Max under the viewfinder. There are holes there that it will attach to. Or you can mount the shoe on the sides of the camera as well. And it will mount to the top of the SWA also (need to remove the viewfinder for this though).

P

parsnip_lee

Flarebuster also has a version that has binder clips on both ends, that way you can just mount the flexible arm anywhere on your camera or tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150809-REG/Granview_FB101XL_Flare_Buster_Double_Clip.html

For the other clips, I've replicated the clips they use. They're a standard binder clip from Staples, to the inside of which I've affixed some rubber weather stripping from Home Depot. Works really well to hold the card just where to want it. For the cards, I've just used some black matt board.

C

carbonmetrictree

I totally forgot about the accessory hot shoe adapter, that is a great idea. I've been shooting a lot of my night stuff with the SWA, my hand has been a pretty good flag so far (I just erase it out of a layer in post). The Flarebuster would definitely be handy for interior shoots, I'm always worried about an arm or C-stand hitting against something.

I'm wondering if the viewfinder distance adapter would allow enough travel for the hot shoe adapter to work with the front and back locking arms on the SWA.

Thanks for the info, Jeffrey!

Andrew

Andrew:
You can use the Flarebuster and not have to remove your viewfinder if you purchase an accessory shoe from Alpa and mount it on the rear of the Max under the viewfinder. There are holes there that it will attach to. Or you can mount the shoe on the sides of the camera as well. And it will mount to the top of the SWA also (need to remove the viewfinder for this though).