The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monitor recommendations?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Due to a discount that was going on at the time it was actually cheaper for me to buy the display and calibration tool separately, since they're "different products" and the SV version was not discounted. Something to keep in mind.
I did the same thing. The monitor (PA-271W in my case) and then the Spectraview software which I use with a Colormunki sensor. Very happy with the NEC wide spectrum monitor.

Ed Hurst

Wow everyone - thanks so much for the advice. Really helpful! Apologies for the slow response on my part - been a pretty made week.

I'll update on what I do and how the results are working out for me :)

Warmest regards, my friends.

Ed

Zerimar

I am really content with my NEC PA271W (theres the PA272W now which is even better)

There's a 31' 4k display which offers 99% adobe RGB coverage, and is around $3000. If I were in the market for a monitor, and had the funds, that may be the one I'd go with. Or if on a budget and wanting more than one, I'd get two PA272W and be pretty set with that. I haven't personally seen a 4k monitor, but can't imagine the jump from 2560 to 4000 would be worth the extra money that it currently costs to do so.

jagsiva

The Dell 27 is not an IPS panel, it is a TN panel, hence the lower price. Only the 24 and 32 are IPS as far as I know.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I have a NEC 301W and added a 302w side by side, calibrated with SpectraView II, and I also use a NEC 272w at a second location.

I really like the controls available and the quality of the image. I’m pretty content, I’m not sure 4K offers much other than perhaps with sharpening evaulation, and to be honest using Photoshop on my retina display laptop is sort of a pita because 100% just doesn’t zoom me in close enough to evaluate detail anyway.

Chris Valites

Eizo ColorEdge CG277. Built in color correction, you can schedule it to be done automatically via the free Color Navigator software, and the color is just dead on. Biggest thing to me, however, is viewing angle...it just does not change, not a bit, whereas the Dells are slightly more noticeable to my eye.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Erol

That is quite an interesting list of monitors .
I wonder that EIZO is not even mentioned .

But more than that , i am very surprised that everbody seems to like the 16:9 and/or the 16:10 ratio .
I don't , not at all . I would very much like a ratio of 4:5 or square .
Unfortunately there are only very few monitors with my desired ratio on the market and also I don't
know if the EIZO EV2730Q is as good as an EIZO Color Edge and good enough for photographic purposes .

A

.:Aleph:.

There's a 31' 4k display which offers 99% adobe RGB coverage, and is around $3000. If I were in the market for a monitor, and had the funds, that may be the one I'd go with.
Which one is that?

But more than that , i am very surprised that everbody seems to like the 16:9 and/or the 16:10 ratio .
I don't , not at all . I would very much like a ratio of 4:5 or square .
Unfortunately there are only very few monitors with my desired ratio on the market
Even if I'm looking at one of my images in its native format, which is often less wide than the display, I still like having space on either side for toolbars in Photoshop. For movie editing or watching it's also a convenient size, since many photographers are expected to shoot video now too.

Steve Hendrix

We can't help too much on the variety of options since the only monitor we sell is Eizo. They are indeed the most expensive. However, pricing has come down some in the past 12 months or so. A 27" CG277 is now in the $2,300 range. Also, the CX Models are an excellent value, as they take a CG277 and remove the ability to create a new calibration with the built-in device. Instead, you calibrate with a 3rd party calibrator (Color Munki, EyeOne, etc) but importantly, with Color Navigator, and then the built-in calibrator will return to that original calibration each time you run it, thereby instituting consistency (which is one of the most important factors). And the 27" CX Models start around $1,400 - $1,500 (CX-271).

The one thing I will say is that when you buy a quality display, you are generally going to use it for a good 5-7 years (hopefully - the Eizo displays have 5 year warranties), so my rule of thumb is take your 1st choice and your 2nd choice, divide the difference in cost by the number of months you'll likely own it, say 72 months for 6 years. Then quantify if your preferred choice is worth that extra amount each month to work on every day. A $500 difference comes out to $7 more per month, which I'd gladly pay to work on the best display every day for 6 years.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix

I used that [perfectly sound] logic to convince my wife about a new [expensive] car. I projected that I'd own it for 100 years but she didn't buy the argument. :ROTFL:

Joe

Alright, well Joe, wives are a little bit smarter than that!

And to extend that further, no, I am not happy with your expensive new car purchase attempt either! :mad: :D

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

archivue

in the cheap side, but only a 24"... the Eizo Ecran ColorEdge CS240
is a great value for money !

i have a 27" colorEdge myself, and i would stick with Eizo if i had to change it !

5 years warranty comes with Eizo

Dell are not in the same league !

Some good stuff from Nec as well, but the Eizo software is really good !

KeithL

Are folks here happy doing post processing and retouching on a 4K monitor?

What if any issues are there?

hcubell

Are folks here happy doing post processing and retouching on a 4K monitor?

What if any issues are there?
I would love to hear about these issues as well. I am in the market for a new monitor and have been debating the merits of the new 31" NEC UHD display. I have been told by OWC that I can update my 2009 Mac Pro with a new video card, the Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition, to run that display.