Site Sponsors

Thread: New MFDB Company Survey

Post Thanks / Like

New MFDB Company Survey

Hi Guys,

You may have noticed that my internet presence has been rather anemic of late, well that has been because I have been working very hard on a new medium format digital back company that I have started.

We have received an initial round of funding and are currently using that to create a prototype. We are now looking to raise a second round of funding to finish the prototyping process and get to making cameras.

As part of the initial round of funding, I have created an online survey to hear from the photographic community what they are looking for in a new medium format digital back. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take this survey and let me know what products you want us to make.

The survey can be found at SquareCameras.com

Best,
    BH
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New MFDB Company Survey

Brian,
    If there is no product for us even to imagine, no specs or anything, we cannot surmise how much we want to pay for it. This survey doesn't make sense because things don't work that way. Now, if you proposed a product and a price, then people could tell you if they would be interested.

For example, you could ask people if they would pay $20,000 for a back with a full frame sensor for the RZ67, with specs like an IQ140, with fat pixels. Then you might be able to judge interest.

I don't have a degree in business, so I may be wrong.

--Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

and I dont shoot 4x5 or 8x10 but 5x7 and 12x16^^

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to take the survey, and good luck with the venture.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    +1
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve_cor View Post
    Brian,
    If there is no product for us even to imagine, no specs or anything, we cannot surmise how much we want to pay for it. This survey doesn't make sense because things don't work that way. Now, if you proposed a product and a price, then people could tell you if they would be interested.

For example, you could ask people if they would pay $20,000 for a back with a full frame sensor for the RZ67, with specs like an IQ140, with fat pixels. Then you might be able to judge interest.

I don't have a degree in business, so I may be wrong.

--Steve.
    I think it's very interesting that the survey is presented in the way it is.

What it actually seems to present is an option to loosely specify your ideal digital back, and what you'd prepare to pay for it. This presumably gives some valuable insight into what people are after.

It's also of course targeted at a very well educated potential customer base. I guess some may well say "give me a 120MP FF CMOS back with 8K full sensor video at 120FPS for $10K", but I rather suspect the responses will actually be a little more realistic, and possibly highlight a potential gap in the marketplace?

Time will tell, but good luck to Brian with his venture!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be a happy camper with current Sony Cmos specs with 56x56 size
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or a back with the existing Sony sensor for a price which is (Substantial) less as the Pentax Z.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MB100 View Post
    Hi Guys,

You may have noticed that my internet presence has been rather anemic of late, well that has been because I have been working very hard on a new medium format digital back company that I have started.

We have received an initial round of funding and are currently using that to create a prototype. We are now looking to raise a second round of funding to finish the prototyping process and get to making cameras.

As part of the initial round of funding, I have created an online survey to hear from the photographic community what they are looking for in a new medium format digital back. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take this survey and let me know what products you want us to make.

The survey can be found at SquareCameras.com

Best,
    BH
    I did the survey.

I think it is awesome what you are doing. Looking forward to seeing the resulting product/s.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the support guys, and thanks for taking the Survey! The results thus far have been amazing.

Gerald is absolutely correct, this survey isn't meant to specifically test the waters for one particular product, but rather get a small census of the cameras and digital backs that people want to see created. Of course there is a particular product that I am developing and the hope is that that is what people will, on their own say they want; though hearing what people want in general is just as important for future products and creating a product pipeline.

Again, thank you all for taking the survey, and if you haven't PLEASE take the survey! The more response I get the better the resulting products will be!

Best,
    BH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't understand this. You say you have a product you're developing, which I assume means now. Having chosen the product to produce, what's the point of asking for people's "wants?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I don't understand this. You say you have a product you're developing, which I assume means now. Having chosen the product to produce, what's the point of asking for people's "wants?"
    Well, as I said initially, we are in the prototyping stage, so it is still possible for us to go through different iterations and add or change features given what users want. We have not entered production on our product yet so it is still possible to change things to meet the demand of our users. Square Cameras has been developed to be particularly agile in responding to market demands.

Thankfully the medium format community has responded excellently and has been very vocal about their wants and desires which will let us strengthen our product.

Best,
    BH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Responded.

Please don't forget a solid RAW converter that is married to the sensor, and the processing covers as much from capture to print....

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't want to have to learn yet another RAW converter and workflow for any new camera. I'd rather a camera I buy work seamlessly with Lightroom, my chosen editer / data management software like the route Leica has taken. I'm not against dedicated software to do special tasks (LCC, for example,) if the camera manufacturer also works with Adobe / C1 / whoever to allow people to use one software workflow during the bulk of everyday processing and archiving.
    Just my opinion, and others might (and probably will) disagree. Perhaps something akin to what Anders Torger is developing would be good, where you can embed LCC corrections etc into and output a new RAW file for other editers to make use of?

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Responded.

Please don't forget a solid RAW converter that is married to the sensor, and the processing covers as much from capture to print....

Post Thanks / Like

Submitted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Personally, I don't want to have to learn yet another RAW converter and workflow for any new camera. I'd rather a camera I buy work seamlessly with Lightroom, my chosen editer / data management software like the route Leica has taken. I'm not against dedicated software to do special tasks (LCC, for example,) if the camera manufacturer also works with Adobe / C1 / whoever to allow people to use one software workflow during the bulk of everyday processing and archiving.
    Just my opinion, and others might (and probably will) disagree. Perhaps something akin to what Anders Torger is developing would be good, where you can embed LCC corrections etc into and output a new RAW file for other editers to make use of?
    Not a hard test, but try a file in C1 vs. LR or Phocus vs. LR with native P1 or Hassey files.

Post Thanks / Like

I have, and for Hassey files at least the results are excellent. Colour is slightly different, as is moire suppression, but it's in the ballpark. I guess, like Leica, this owes to Blad working with Adobe, not shutting them out as I understand P1 does.
    I'd rather a new MFD player concentrate on hardware and shooting experience and work openly with major software developers instead of spreading things too thin. Just my 2c, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

submitted....looking forward to hearing more

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have, and for Hassey files at least the results are excellent. Colour is slightly different, as is moire suppression, but it's in the ballpark. I guess, like Leica, this owes to Blad working with Adobe, not shutting them out as I understand P1 does.
    I'd rather a new MFD player concentrate on hardware and shooting experience and work openly with major software developers instead of spreading things too thin. Just my 2c, of course.
    +1
    Miitch

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the responses to the Survey, you have all helped me to surpass my goal for the initial survey, and have inspired me to shoot higher for the results of the survey then I was initially planning due to the electric response.

As to the issue of the RAW processor, I believe that there is nothing for a new entrant into the market to gain by attempting to put out their own raw converter (me) since it will be very expensive and it would probably (definitely) be a vastly inferior product to the mature programs that exist at the moment. I think that the most likely situation will be the use of Lightroom, since from what I have been told (and I am happy to be disproven on this) PhaseOne doesn't seem to like to play nice with other MFDB companies. But we will cross that bridge soon enough and figure it out.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is no way in which P1 is "shutting out" Adobe.

Every modern Phase One back is supported by Adobe LightRoom and LR does as good of a job with a Phase One file as it does with most any other camera it supports. Adobe also supports a wide variety of lenses for automatic (or manual) lens correction from the Phase One ecosystem.

Many people notice there is an improvement when you work with a Phase One raw file in Phase One's software Capture One vs in LightRoom. This is not because LR does a poor job (in absolute terms, or in comparison to other types of raw files), but because C1 does such a good job with them.

In fact, many users observe that their Nikon/Canon/Fuji/Sony raw files are better handled in C1 than in LR. Obviously Phase One is not "shutting out" Adobe from providing better raw processing of those brands either.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    There is no way in which P1 is "shutting out" Adobe.

Every modern Phase One back is supported by Adobe LightRoom and LR does as good of a job with a Phase One file as it does with most any other camera it supports. Adobe also supports a wide variety of lenses for automatic (or manual) lens correction from the Phase One ecosystem.

Many people notice there is an improvement when you work with a Phase One raw file in Phase One's software Capture One vs in LightRoom. This is not because LR does a poor job (in absolute terms, or in comparison to other types of raw files), but because C1 does such a good job with them.

In fact, many users observe that their Nikon/Canon/Fuji/Sony raw files are better handled in C1 than in LR. Obviously Phase One is not "shutting out" Adobe from providing better raw processing of those brands either.
    Indeed, and I think that this speaks excellently to the fact that specialization is what produces the best products for us. PhaseOne with CaptureOne has spent a lot of time an money developing their raw product to the best of their abilities (which is quite good).

While Adobe is a much larger company, they have a much more diversified portfolio, and it just goes to show that a small(er) group focused on a specific goal can create a strong product.

Post Thanks / Like

But do they work with Adobe to help them improve their conversions, as Leica and Hasselblad do? Maybe they do and I'm mistaken, but I much prefer this kind of "open" approach.

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Done. Good luck. Competition is good.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I'd be a happy camper with current Sony Cmos specs with 56x56 size
    I'd be ecstatic...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

+1

However, I could get onto a blissful glide with a true 645 cmos sensor revolving inside its back for under nine grand. Ok, make it ten grand.
    Available in V mount of course. Mp's are primordially irrelevant but the more the merrier.

Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I'd be ecstatic...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You domain name is a good sign: square camera. Yes, in digital age, square format makes a lot of sense, as turning of camera is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear someone is working on a square sensor. May you have great success, so I could buy one some day!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Great to hear someone is working on a square sensor. May you have great success, so I could buy one some day!
    Who is working on a (big) square sensor? That would be a suicidal financial move for a maker with only 6x4.5 cameras currently in production.

Post Thanks / Like

A square camera does not necessarily mean a square sensor. It could just mean the opportunity for a waist level finder and a revolving 645 sensor or back. Two amazing things that in my opinion would set digital medium format FAR APART from dslr's. On the other hand, the same technology can be used for the 645 bodies with their dslr shooting style.

I can't quite understand why the Hy6 failed but it deserves another chance. The V refuses to die despite Hasselblad has neglected it for the last 10 years.

Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dascalos View Post
    Who is working on a (big) square sensor? That would be a suicidal financial move for a maker with only 6x4.5 cameras currently in production.
    Last edited by Uaiomex; 30th April 2015 at 20:49.