Site Sponsors

Thread: Tech Camera Stitching & Tripod Head

Post Thanks / Like

Tech Camera Stitching & Tripod Head

I'm using a Cambo WRS AE, IQ 160, and the excellent, huge image circle 120mm ASPH lens to create ultrahigh resolution stitched files by moving the digital back only.

My tripod until recently was an older Gitzo series two aluminum. The head is a manfrotto 410.

The problem is when I use the gear knobs on the camera to shift the back, the whole assembly and ultimately the lens moves and wiggles a little bit. I realized that the series two tripod was not up to the job so I switched it to a series 3 Mountaineer in carbon fiber. This was a nice improvement, but there still is a little wiggle to deal with .

As much as I like the 410 gear head, it does have some play. It is superb add dialing in a shot when I'm not going to stitch. But now I need a tripod head that will absolutely freeze the camera while I use the gear knobs to shift the back around.

Of course I've thought about the Arca Cube, but have yet to try one. Is the cube the way to go for a tripod head that will absolutely freeze my camera in place? What about a simple tilt pan head? Regardless of design style what head will absolutely freeze my equipment in place?

Thank you!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tech Camera Stitching & Tripod Head

depends a bit on what the head should be capable of. I for one shoot my WRS only fully straightened and leveled (I don't tilit and/or swing the camera on the tripod).
    There is a dedicated Leveling Base for the Cambo WRS which feels and looks like a "natural" extension of the camera. It's a perfect match for the WRS and mine is always attched to the camera: http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_p...Item21632.html
    It is certainly the best tool to level the WRS and it is super rigid. But, again, it is limited in use.
    For leveling and full tilt/swing capabilites of the head the Arca Cube is outstanding, of course. Personally I've favored the Acra D4 (geared) over the Cube. I use the D4 for my other cameras. But of course I've also tried the WRS on it and it works just great.
    If you are going to spend that much money on a tripod head I would at least compare the Cube to the D4 before you order one...

Post Thanks / Like

I just got hold of a almost mint, ex-demo Linhof 3D micro head through Linhof & Studio at a substantial (read almost unbelievable) discount due to Linhof recently changing the pan locking mechanism on this series of head. I'm pretty sure they had a few there to sell, if you like that option maybe you could try them?

So far, I'm very impressed with the head. Bullet proof construction and ultra-accurate. More than I hoped for, espeially because the 12 degress on each axis doesn't bother me for my work. My one criticism is that I bought the Arca-Swill dovetail version – as it was cheaper, not because I necessarily wanted that attachment – and the pan lock and QR lock/release knobs can be easily confused if you don't have your witts about you. I haven't made the mistake of unlocking the wrong one yet, but I think this must have been the the main reason they changed the pan mechanism.

For the record, I have no affiliation with Linhof & Studio other than being a long time happy customer. And they are certainly cheaper than buying through a US dealership.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot panos all the time. I use the Cube and I would now be lost without it. It takes seconds to level the head and once levelled you can rotate to tweak the composition knowing you are always level. Ditto for rotational panoramics. The head remains level as you rotate. Well worth the investment

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply!
    If the cost was identical, would you prefer the cube or the d4, if you could only have one head?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another head to consider is the geared D4 also by Arca. A bit less in price than the cube, but it also will allow the rotation around the top of the head, once level.

Really Right Stuff, has components that can be added to the BH-55 which allow the same effect, however they don't have a geared head to my knowledge.

When working with a tech camera, the gearing of the D4 to allow the final adjustments is invaluable, also you can do this with one hand where as with a normal head, one hand has to be on the camera, the other on the locking knob. With the D4, you can keep you eye on the view as it changes, this is even more impressive with a true live view capable back.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I resisted buying the Cube for years. After reading all the reviews I could find - some comparing it to the Linhof 3D - I bit the bullet. I have no regrets..... fast and easy to use whether you pan or shift the camera. Can't recommend it enough..... I would, though, only recommend buying it with the standard quick release and not the flip lever. I can't recommend any flip lever from any manufacturer.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Imho, the AS Cube sets the standard for a geared tripod head. But it's also expensive and heavy.

I've found a new head that works exceptional well. I've had the chance to work with it for about six weeks now, including at CI in Tahoe. My review is positive. I'd suggest also considering the KPS T5 geared ballhead. Essentially all the advantages of a ballhead, and with the ability to make small adjustments like a geared head. A less expensive and lighter alternative. I plan on buying one to work with my Cube. And the manufacturer has agreed to sell the T5 without a top clamp (no red loctite) so photographers can choose their own clamp!

ken

Post Thanks / Like

The Arca-Swiss Cube is one of our most highly sought after products. We recommend them to every one of our tech cam clients shooting outdoors, and I've yet to hear anyone complain about the results they get with them.

I hear you talked to Chris Snipes about it, and we'd love to help you out if you have any more questions.
    Chris Valites
    Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration
    Email-Me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by marktomaras View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    If the cost was identical, would you prefer the cube or the d4, if you could only have one head?
    are you referring to "tjv", "Enda Cavanagh" or me?
    If you are asking me my buying decision in favor for the D4 over the Cube was not related to the price in any way. I do like the handling of the D4 better. Both heads are exeptionally well built devices and, again, you should compare them by yourself.
    If I'd shoot a lot with extensions (to support long tele lenses or so) I'd maybe go for the Cube. But I don't. I do use the D4 for pano work with my medium format SLR camera, though ... which is also relatively heavy and needs very rigid support when mounted vertically on pano rails. No problems so far with the D4.
    IMHO you can't go wrong with either of the two... it's more a matter of personal preferences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Manfrotto 410. It exhibited some "play" also and and couldn't believe this was quite right. It wasn't.

If I recall correctly, I had to carefully peel off one of the circular plastic decals to get to a bolt that needed tightening and that fixed it. I'm not at home to take a closer look at the head to give you more exact instructions but I'll do that and post it later tomorrow if you need it.

Fred

I'm using a Cambo WRS AE, IQ 160, and the excellent, huge image circle 120mm ASPH lens to create ultrahigh resolution stitched files by moving the digital back only.

My tripod until recently was an older Gitzo series two aluminum. The head is a manfrotto 410.

The problem is when I use the gear knobs on the camera to shift the back, the whole assembly and ultimately the lens moves and wiggles a little bit. I realized that the series two tripod was not up to the job so I switched it to a series 3 Mountaineer in carbon fiber. This was a nice improvement, but there still is a little wiggle to deal with .

As much as I like the 410 gear head, it does have some play. It is superb add dialing in a shot when I'm not going to stitch. But now I need a tripod head that will absolutely freeze the camera while I use the gear knobs to shift the back around.

Of course I've thought about the Arca Cube, but have yet to try one. Is the cube the way to go for a tripod head that will absolutely freeze my camera in place? What about a simple tilt pan head? Regardless of design style what head will absolutely freeze my equipment in place?

Thank you!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the replies. They are each quite helpful. One thing I have not seen in the replies however is a mention about the real need - ultra frozen in space camera! Perhaps that is a given, and the Cube as well as the Arca D4, and the other head or two that was mentioned all have the ability to completely freeze the camera better than my Manfrotto. (though fmueller's post about fixing the manfrotto has inspired me, and I will try that today)

As an experiment, I connected the camera directly to the legs. Of course, this is not a convenient solution, but it did certainly make for a stable camera.

So, beyond the convenience and the user experience of operating the heads, can you comment more on the experience you have had with the stability of the recommended heads, specifically when making adjustments such as the geared back movements on the Cambo, or perhaps similar - the movements on a view camera?

thanks again!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Valites View Post
    The Arca-Swiss Cube is one of our most highly sought after products. We recommend them to every one of our tech cam clients shooting outdoors, and I've yet to hear anyone complain about the results they get with them.

I hear you talked to Chris Snipes about it, and we'd love to help you out if you have any more questions.
    Thanks Chris, yes indeed, I spoke to Chris Snipes yesterday. I love that guy! He always gives me so much of his time, experience, and explanations. He must be a valued member of the Capture Integration team. He mentioned that he may be able to bring me a Cube to demo next time he is in Miami, and that may be just what I need.

In your opinion, is there a stability difference between the cube and the D4? I will need a head that has the ability to handle a tech cam with 120mm lens, or, a Phase DF+ body and potentially a 300mm lens (which I don't have yet, but it is on my radar)

thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The Cube will provide a more stable platform than the D4.

KPS T5 geared ballhead is very stable with an 88 pound capacity. I've used it with Cambo WRS and Phase DF. I have the Cube, but was looking for a lighter geared alternative for my RRS TVC24 tripod. The T5 is half a pound lighter than the Cube, yet every bit as stable. The T5 is not inexpensive, but still half the price of the Cube. Quality is on par with RRS and AS.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Tried to fix the Manfrotto 410 and remove the wiggle in the gears. I disassembled the head completely, cleaned and regressed it, and reassembled it. I have heard people say it has plastic gears - this is not the case. It is quite solid, and all metal. Alas, after spending an hour to do this operation, my 410 still has a little wiggle. As I said, it is a fine head, just not for moving a digital back around on a tech camera and expecting the camera to be perfectly frozen. Oh well. Looks like I will be trying a cube!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris, yes indeed, I spoke to Chris Snipes yesterday. I love that guy! He always gives me so much of his time, experience, and explanations. He must be a valued member of the Capture Integration team. He mentioned that he may be able to bring me a Cube to demo next time he is in Miami, and that may be just what I need.

In your opinion, is there a stability difference between the cube and the D4? I will need a head that has the ability to handle a tech cam with 120mm lens, or, a Phase DF+ body and potentially a 300mm lens (which I don't have yet, but it is on my radar)

thanks,
    Mark
    Both are good heads, as they're both geared. We have a lot more customers go for the Cube because of the advantages in the zero shift in rotating around the lens nodal point, but to satisfy your needs for stability, the D4 is not as stable in our experience as the Arca Swiss Cube
    Chris Valites
    Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration
    Email-Me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the Alpa (Linhof) Head also. Very similar to the Cube in design and function, except it doesn't have quite the same degree of movements and for 90º you'd require an L Adapter. But it's smaller and lighter, and I prefer the feel of the geared knobs.

https://www.digitalback.com/product/...leveling-head/

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

I had the oportunity to hold the Cube and Linhof / Alpa 3D head and went with the Linhof, for what it's worth. A combination of the things Steve has mentioned, and the price Paula offered it to me for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it possible to replace the clamp on the Linhof 3D head with a RRS clamp?
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, to be honest. If anyone would know though it'd be Paula at Linhof Studio.

One thing I will say about the Linhof head is that unless you're price sensitive like me, I'd definately go for the updated version with the newer type pan locking mechnaism, especially if you want the Arca dovetail fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    Is it possible to replace the clamp on the Linhof 3D head with a RRS clamp?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Arca Swiss Z1, Z1g, or Z2 worth considering here? Are they possibly more solid and stable than the cube?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a menagerie of heads including the Cube, D4, Z1g (giant) and Z1g+.

I choose the Cube as my main head and mount it on my most solid tripod legs (SS5561GT) but it's relatively heavy and bulky. It is also susceptible to dust/dirt in the field and so you need to keep it clean and lubed. Also, you must lock the head/base rotation for optimum stability if panning because there typically is some play in the head otherwise. Once locked it's rock solid.

The D4 is my smaller lighter geared travel head that I typically mount on my RRS 3 series tripod. It has the advantage of being significantly lighter and easier to keep clean plus in my experience is just as stable as the Cube. The ability to make quicker adjustments by releasing the locks and then fine adjustments using the gearing is really handy. It is a better balanced solution on lighter tripod legs too.

The Z1g+ is definitely the smallest head and if I want to travel and use a ball head then it's a great solution. Being a ball head though it is harder for me to get level but the rotational top plate works just as well as the Cube/D4 once in position.

At home I have a Z1G giant ball head. It is immensely stable once locked but it is the size of a sledgehammer head and weighs about the same. I used to use it with my giant tripod but it'll give you a work out if you carry it far plus upsets the balance of the tripod when hiking with it collapsed and the head on the top. However, when locked in place it's as solid as a rock. It now stays at home on a steel systematic tripod and I only use it indoors. However, there is no more stable beast.

The clamps are a personal preference. I actually like the Arca Swiss quick release over the RRS clamps but that's just because I've become accustomed to them plus they give me some element of adjustability if I need it such as when using a non-RRS plate. The RRS lever clamps have zero adjustment. I have some screw clamps and they obviously work well - if you're a klutz in the dark at 0'dark thirty you just have to make sure you don't unclamp the head vs adjusting your tilt etc. (hey, I realize that's just me .... )
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have never used a cube but have the D4 geared and use it on my RRS carbon tripod with no problems. To me very stable, can get wet, gearing is very solid. Still have the cube on my would like one day list however.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    I had the oportunity to hold the Cube and Linhof / Alpa 3D head and went with the Linhof, for what it's worth. A combination of the things Steve has mentioned, and the price Paula offered it to me for.
    Have this as well, and very fond of it. You just set it up so that the knob that opens the dovetail is always on one side…. A favorite piece of kit, just a bit heavy to take on air trips….

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Have this as well, and very fond of it. You just set it up so that the knob that opens the dovetail is always on one side…. A favorite piece of kit, just a bit heavy to take on air trips….
    If you think that the diminutive Linhof is heavy then you'll find the Cube an enormous boat anchor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    If you think that the diminutive Linhof is heavy then you'll find the Cube an enormous boat anchor.
    I certainly did when I held them, one in each hand. The Linhof is very robust, too. Never heard anyone with problems with sand, water etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't get me wrong regarding the cube and dust/sand etc. If you enjoy the silky smooth operation of the head you'll want to keep it absolutely clean. Do that and it's as smooth as silk. Don't do it and it'll get 'crunchy' or tighter than beautifully smooth. There will be more resistance in the knobs than normal.

Even when dirty it's still 10x better than a RRS BH-55 in terms of smoothness.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!
    Mark
    First off. With any setup there can always be some play or slight movement of the camera between on exposure and another if you touch the setup at all. That is normal IMHO. Only a studio stand can eliminate this. On the field it is very tough.

That said I have gotten great results with a Series 3 Gitzo Carbon and a RRS BH55 head with panning clamp. This provides a great, level, platform for shooting. It is quite rock solid. Similar setups provide similar results. What a head like the Cube does is make leveling the platform easier and more precise. With the ballhead one needs to look at the bubble level, loosen the main knob, level the bubble level as best one can and tighten the knob. When tightening the knob there might be slight changes in level but once tight I have found the BH55 stays put. With the Cube, just like your geared head, the head is always tight, ready to support the load, even when adjusting so once you adjust it it stays put. The Cube is arguably the best at this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the Arca Swiss Z1, Z1g, or Z2 worth considering here? Are they possibly more solid and stable than the cube?
    The Z2+ head is more stable though not geared. However in contrast to normal ball heads it has a separate locking knobs for both Horizontal and Vertical movements. You can also leave both knobs loose and it will feel like a traditional ball head.
    It's leverage weight capacity is 140lbs.
    It is still a bit heavy, but extremely sturdy. It also comes with top pan for stitching etc.

Rod
    Last edited by RodK; 25th April 2015 at 23:55. Reason: grammer
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By the way the Linhof 3d head is approximately the same weight if not more.
    2.17 lbs verses 2.04 for the Cube.
    Both without plates.
    Rod
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, same weight but smaller.
    They're both great products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Yes, same weight but smaller.
    They're both great products.
    Oh and with the cube no extras are needed to go past vertical.
    You need an extra piece, L shaped, to do a vertical.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Again everyone. I am relatively new to forums in general, and I think it is remarkable how many people spend time helping others in search of information. My hat is off to you all (if I wore a hat regularly, this would be more meaningful :-)

I think I am looking now at the Arca Swiss D4 and the mostly unheard of KPS T5. Both seem excellent, the price range is high but not astronomical, the size allows the head to stay attached to my Gitzo 3542L legs and fit in my padded gitzo tripod bag, and both offer me the great functionality of both ball and gear head, so I can get one great head to handle all of my needs.

I plan on testing both heads side by side, and see which has the greater stability and greater user experience. I will be sure to report my findings back here.

Thanks for Ken Doo for recommending the T5! It is quite a product as far as I can tell from the reviews and videos that I saw. I think the showdown between the T5 & D4 will be very interesting - looking forward to it!

- Mark

Post Thanks / Like

No one has mentioned that top panning is essential for accurate rotational stitching. Arca-Swiss have this capability even on the smallest and most affordable P0 series monoball heads. Double pan, meaning the tripod head pans at the base of the head for rough composition and then separately pans at the top of the head for fine tuning of composition or for panning the head for stitching multiple frames for panoramic work. Once you level the camera on an Arca-Swiss double pan head, the top pan will keep the camera level through the panning.

The T5 doesn't offer top pan and it's design looks tallish. Any error in leveling at the base will be transferred up and it will be difficult to keep the head level when panning. Also why not state their load capacity?.. their specs only say "very high load capacity"

And -- honestly, is 2 pounds really that heavy for a head with the features and stability of the cube? While the Linhof might be slightly "smaller", it's heavier and has a restricted range of movement, for instance the model I tried would not tip down for a vertical shot. I believe these were designed as the base for Linhof's top of the line view cameras with the idea that the front or back standard would be capable of the remaining movement needed for table top work.

With that said, I do use a D4 for hiking with the camera. It's an all purpose head, very quick to use (clutch controls for fast X and Y separate movements as well as the gear driven fine tuning controls and double pan). It is more than stable enough for any tech camera use.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No one has mentioned that top panning is essential for accurate rotational stitching. Arca-Swiss have this capability even on the smallest and most affordable P0 series monoball heads. Double pan, meaning the tripod head pans at the base of the head for rough composition and then separately pans at the top of the head for fine tuning of composition or for panning the head for stitching multiple frames for panoramic work. Once you level the camera on an Arca-Swiss double pan head, the top pan will keep the camera level through the panning.

The T5 doesn't offer top pan and it's design looks tallish. Any error in leveling at the base will be transferred up and it will be difficult to keep the head level when panning. Also why not state their load capacity?.. their specs only say "very high load capacity"

And -- honestly, is 2 pounds really that heavy for a head with the features and stability of the cube? While the Linhof might be slightly "smaller", it's heavier and has a restricted range of movement, for instance the model I tried would not tip down for a vertical shot. I believe these were designed as the base for Linhof's top of the line view cameras with the idea that the front or back standard would be capable of the remaining movement needed for table top work.

With that said, I do use a D4 for hiking with the camera. It's an all purpose head, very quick to use (clutch controls for fast X and Y separate movements as well as the gear driven fine tuning controls and double pan). It is more than stable enough for any tech camera use.

Post Thanks / Like

The KPS T5 has a 44mm ball with a load capacity of 88 lbs.

The T5 is available for purchase without a clamp, allowing you to attach a clamp of your preference, i.e., Screw knob or RRS Lever release. If you want a panning clamp, you can simply attach one on top. I found a decent panning top clamp and will be putting that on my T5.

On a smaller/lighter set of legs such as a RRS TVC 24, the weight of the Cube is an issue and the tripod feels top heavy. The T5 is a better match with a lighter set of legs.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, what was the make on that panning head you found?

Post Thanks / Like

There are only a few choices in panning clamps since it appears that RRS has discontinued their panning clamp (only available with a dovetail). I only have found one that has a quick lever release, by Heather Photographic, out of the UK. It seems pretty good so far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151273891316...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have one of the discontinued RRS panning clamps too----with a screw knob, and haven't yet decided if I'll keep it or sell it. I originally bought it with the universal leveling base as a compact tripod head solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The current version of the RRS clamp has a mounting screw as well as dovetail: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop...ing-clamp.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve, I saw that screw mount on the RRS panning clamp, but this new version isn't available without, or rather you can't remove the dovetail. While it's possible to mount it as a "top-clamp" it isn't as nice and pretty sitting flush as the previous RRS version. The previous version was nice, clean and flat on the bottom, except for the receiving female notch for the ball stem. Pretty counts, right?

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sorry, Ken. I don't know what I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken, you could paint the dovetail pink
    Peter
    My website

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i looked at Ken's T5 in Tahoe and now have one on order w/o a top clamp. to it i will attach my spare screw-tightening RRS pano clamp.

Lonna: oh yes, you definitely need a level panning plane as the top rotation platform; something i have gone to great lengths to vette.
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...light=leveling

also found my cube had diminutive knobs with O-rings for the gripping surface. newer versions have knurled knobs and seem much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    also found my cube had diminutive knobs with O-rings for the gripping surface. newer versions have knurled knobs and seem much better.
    I have the newer version and indeed it does have the rubber coated knurled knobs. I would liked to have seen larger knobs/levers for locking the base and pan head. Not a deal killer just looking for a bit more perfection for this price point.

Victor