The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 firewire connection - how sturdy?

gerald.d

Hi all -

I was just wondering whether I need to take any precautions regarding the firewire connection on my IQ180.

I'm mainly shooting tethered in portrait these days, and am slightly concerned about the way the cable comes out of the back.

Is there any concern over torque on the circuit board connection? There's quite a bit of play in the connection, and of course because of the weight of the cable, it's always pulling down a bit.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Check out tethertools.com - I like their jerk/stress reduction links for the laptop and digital back. On the IQ with FireWire the worst case is probably that you'll pull the connector straight out but the tethertools linkages will give you some 'give'.

Personally I'm more concerned by the usb on the side vs straight pull on the FireWire connector out the back of the back.

jagsiva

Gerald, I used the FW connection routinely prior to USB3 being available and never had any issues. I would secure the cable to one of the tripod legs with a velcro strap to maintain some slack between the cable and back. I do the same with USB.

gerald.d

Thanks guys - to clarify (sorry if I described things confusingly)...

I'm not concerned about the cable physically disconnecting from the back - that's never happened.

My concern is that the weight of the cable pulls down on the connector slightly (which has a bit of play in it), and so may be exerting a torsional force on the circuit board that its attached to.

Kind regards,

Gerald.