The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom CC 32-bit HDR and P/P+ backs on tech cam

thrice

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been asked before but is there a way to get 32-bit HDR in Lightroom CC to work with images captured using a P/P+ back on a tech cam? :poke:

My P45 doesn't record exposure info such as aperture/time when shot on a tech cam. I know the IQ series backs store time in the exif.

The 32-bit HDR function in Lightroom CC doesn't allow you to specify the settings (photoshop does) and thus cannot do the HDR for me.

If I can do 32-bit HDR and panoramic stitching in Lightroom then I don't need PS at all for landscape anymore.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

thrice

For fun here's a photo that illustrates why I use 32-bit HDR.
Huge dynamic range - roughly 4-5 stops between shadow and highlight exposures. When merged it looks (mostly) natural.

Paul2660

I just bracket, and manually combine the images. The LR HDR feature seems interesting.

With any P+ or IQ back on a tech camera, there will be no lens info recorded or aperture. You can manually edit the exif data with one of many tools out there. I found that when worked panos taken with tech cameras, this also causes a problem. There are many exif editors out there, which will allow you to add the info.

The sensor info should still be in the exif x y resolution etc.

I would try manual addition of the information with an editor to see if LR will work.

Are you converting in C1 then importing to LR for the HDR? or working the files as raw in LR. If the later, how are you working with the LCC? I tried the LR LCC process over a year ago and found it not easy to work with.

Great shot BTW, very good shadow recovery.

Paul

thrice

Hi Paul,

I shoot an LCC using opaque acrylic in my Lee filter holder. I'm also using the centre filter so the correction is pretty much just colour shift.

I'm doing everything in LR, C1 doesn't agree with me. I just use the flat field plugin. It is very touchy and you need a clearly exposed LCC in the same orientation so I just shoot one for every shot.

The latitude on those 32-bit HDR's is fantastic and the shadows have very little if any noise. Here's a 100% crop:

I'll try editing the exif.

Cheers,
Dan

Chris Valites

Hi Dan,

Any particular reason Capture One isn't agreeing with you? The LCC component alone made it worthwhile for some of our customers to soldier through it. As I tell a lot of people: Adobe engineers are American, and Phase One's are Danish. It sometimes takes a bit of translation internally to get over to the Phase way of thinking, but once you're there, it's natural.

Cheers,
Chris

Kevin Sink

This is very interesting! I'd like to see a crop at 400%.. I make very large enlargements from my Arca Rm3di/Phase One P65 setup. I found the FFC deficient in several ways in LR. One, it doesn't use the dark channel information from the P65 back. This resulted in horrible single pixel noise (often only seen at 400%) but looks terrible in large prints. Cleaning all those spots by hand (most often seen in shadow recovery areas of the image) a NIGHTMARE. So much so I gave up. Also, in Capture One, you can enable the dust information from the LCC and save huge amounts of time cleaning dust spots out of your image. The LR FFC doesn't have a dust removal feature. Capture One's dust removal isn't perfect but it works very very well.