The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need help

Bruno Gil

Hi to you all.

This is my first post here at the forum but I`ve been reading it some time.
My name is Bruno and Im from Portugal.

I shoot mainly landscapes/seascape and people. But Im a big fan of architecture and interior shots, and I want to start doing them.
I have a 645df+ with Credo 40 but for this kind of subjects, its not good, no movements at all, as you know.
I also have a Wista m450 with 90mm and 150mm lens. I bought an adapter for my db but the crop factor is a big problem with those lens, but the worst of all is the size and weight, its tremendous. I love that combo for landscapes but its hard to work with it.

I`m almost decided to buy a tech camera, and for my budget I`m thinking on a Cambo WRS 1200 with Rodenstock 28 mm HR Digaron.
But before giving the step, because its not cheap I want to try first a wider lens for the combo that I already have. Which lens do you guys advise me to buy?
I dont want to spend a lot of money because its only for "tests", before buying the Cambo.

I found this one on ebay:
Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 35mm F4.5 Lens. Do you think will be enough wide for interiors. Will do stitching.

Sorry for my bad english
Thanks for your time
Cheers

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I so very rarely say this (I'm usually a big advocate for testing things yourself), but...

Skip the test. Go straight to the tech camera. You will not regret it. Cameras like the Wista m450 are simply not stable/precise/rigid enough for wide angle work with digital backs, and they are needlessly heavy and large.

If you haven't already seen them, here is our tech camera overview and tech camera visualizer.

Don Libby

A Cambo WRS along with a 40HR is a (at least for me) a dream combination. Flat stitching with the WRS will allow you to go very wide with little trouble.

Check here also on the long story of tethering using the Surface Pro and USB3.

Best of luck

Don

Bruno Gil

Thanks Doug and Don for the fast reply!

I was advised to buy the 28mm, but after seeing your links it would be a total waste of money for my purposes. The image circle is very small.
As Don said, the 40mm would be the perfect focal length for me, and would allow me to make the movements that im looking for. For tethering im using my mac bookpro but next week im gonna buy the Surface.

Thanks again!

Don Libby

Bruno, if nothing else we like helping people spend their money!

Keep us posted on the developments....

marktomaras

Bruno, I recently bought a Cambo WRS and I adore it. After months of thought, debate, and research, I chose the Schneider 43mm lens for a wide angle, and I would like to add a Schneider 28XL for the ultra wide at some point. I chose the Schneiders in the end for the smaller physical size, larger image circle, and much lower distortion compared to the similar Rodenstocks. I am not saying that these lens are way better than the Rodenstocks - but for me, they have the qualities that are more important to me.

Good Luck, go for it! I agree with the other posters, the Wista is a proper 4x5, but not practically comparable or adaptable to a digital tech camera.

By the way, my wife is from Porto, and I am there at least once per year, sometimes twice. I plan to be in Portugal for 3 weeks in September, and I was thinking about wandering the countryside with the tech cam... Perhaps we can meet for a coffee, or to do some shooting!

Bruno Gil

big difference between 28 and 40mm lenses!
I can imagine jlm
Thats why I wanted to make some tests. But here in Portugal is almost, if not impossible to find someone with a combo like the one that I want.
For my 645df+ I love the feeling of a 35mm focal, so maybe the 40mm isn´t too short for my purposes. I will keep looking for someone to let me test it.

Thanks

Bruno Gil

Bruno, I recently bought a Cambo WRS and I adore it. After months of thought, debate, and research, I chose the Schneider 43mm lens for a wide angle, and I would like to add a Schneider 28XL for the ultra wide at some point. I chose the Schneiders in the end for the smaller physical size, larger image circle, and much lower distortion compared to the similar Rodenstocks. I am not saying that these lens are way better than the Rodenstocks - but for me, they have the qualities that are more important to me.

Good Luck, go for it! I agree with the other posters, the Wista is a proper 4x5, but not practically comparable or adaptable to a digital tech camera.

By the way, my wife is from Porto, and I am there at least once per year, sometimes twice. I plan to be in Portugal for 3 weeks in September, and I was thinking about wandering the countryside with the tech cam... Perhaps we can meet for a coffee, or to do some shooting!
Thanks for the feedback Mark
I will keep the Wista to shoot film and will not use it with db, doesnt work.
After reading your post I went again to see the differences between Schneider lens vs Rodenstock and the image circle is a big difference. Maybe the 43 from Schneider will be my lens.
Regarding your visit to Portugal will be a pleasure to meet you and if we had the change to make some shots together.
How did you endup with a Portuguese wife? :)
Cheers

Paul2660

The SK43 would be a great lens for your credo 40. You have a larger pixel pitch and should have potential for a lot of movements. There should be no tiling issues and minimum color cast.

The 40 Rodie will give you a bit more field of view but it's going to be more expensive. With the 43 you might also want the center filter.

Your back has a 30 percent crop so the 28mm would also be one to consider. You will be able to push the 70mm image circle further than can be done with a full frame back. But if you want a lot of movement the 35 Schneider or 43 Schneider would be hard to beat with your current back.

Paul

Bruno Gil

The SK43 would be a great lens for your credo 40. You have a larger pixel pitch and should have potential for a lot of movements. There should be no tiling issues and minimum color cast.

The 40 Rodie will give you a bit more field of view but it's going to be more expensive. With the 43 you might also want the center filter.

Your back has a 30 percent crop so the 28mm would also be one to consider. You will be able to push the 70mm image circle further than can be done with a full frame back. But if you want a lot of movement the 35 Schneider or 43 Schneider would be hard to beat with your current back.

Paul
Thanks for the imput Paul
I only wish to be able to test at least those 2 lenses ( 28 and 43 ). Buying such expensive gear without testing it its always a nightmare.
But I think at the end the SK43 will be the chosen one.
Cheers

Pemihan

I too have the Cambo WRS with Rodie 40HR.
If you happen to come to Copenhagen let me know and we can meet and you can test the combo.
I also have SK60XL, SK120 Aspheric and SK150

Chris Valites

I've used the 43mm on the Cambo WRS-1200; you will not regret this setup, but I'd also recommend the 32mm HR lens. EXTREMELY sharp and awesome wide angle lens. Large image circle which is PERFECT for movements.

Where are you located? We'd love to set you up with more information; feel free to email me, or, if you're local to one of our offices in New England, Atlanta, or LA, we can set up a time to do a demo with you with some of the gear mentioned above.

Bruno Gil

I've used the 43mm on the Cambo WRS-1200; you will not regret this setup, but I'd also recommend the 32mm HR lens. EXTREMELY sharp and awesome wide angle lens. Large image circle which is PERFECT for movements.

Where are you located? We'd love to set you up with more information; feel free to email me, or, if you're local to one of our offices in New England, Atlanta, or LA, we can set up a time to do a demo with you with some of the gear mentioned above.
First of all wanna say that you guys rock!!!

Thanks Chris, Im from Portugal, too far away. But today I got good news from PhaseOne/Mamiya/Cambo/Alpa... guys here from Portugal and I`ve got a good chance to test drive the combo that I want. Hope some day next week.
Do you think the 43XL will be a good lens for interior shots?, thats my main worry

For sure I will give feedback
Cheers

Chris Valites

Hi Bruno,

That'd really depend on how wide you're shooting internally, and how much tilt you want. If you want to stay right around that viewing angle, I think that the 40mm HR might be a better choice, as it has a little bit more play than the 43mm, but it depends on a variety of factors, from sensor size to shift/tilt needs. Both are awesome lenses, don't get me wrong, it's just that without seeing the type of buildings you're shooting most often, you could go anywhere from a 32mm HR lens to a more tele lens.

Cheers,
Chris

cly

I have used the Schneider 43 with the P40 and IQ140 (and now use it on an IQ250) and it was, and continues to be, my bread and butter lens for documenting exhibition design, so it's a kind of interior/architecture photography.

Tilt: Sure you can use tilt indoors but it's of little help if your client doesn't like when the ceiling is out of focus etc. But only you can say if this is relevant or not.

Rodies: What I'm not particularly fond of is the distortion of the Rodenstock wides. If architecture is your subject matter, you will have to correct distortion pretty regularly.

Chris