The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645Z Going wild!

I mostly use the 240mm lens without a teleconverter, but every now and then I slap in on if I have the time or want a different composition.

JohnBrew

Andy, if you are not using the ALPA STC you had in Utah, please send it to me :D

PS: I hope you bagged your tiger.

PPS: Are there adapters for other manufacturer's lenses for the Pentax?

hsteeves

although I am not Andy, I have adapted both Pentax 67 and Hasselblad V lenses to my Pentax digital body. I think I saw a Bronica SQ lens adapter once, somewhere. Working on codging together an adapter for Mamiya 645 to Pentax 645 but I need a Pentax extension tube. SK Grimes says they can do it - some question about my sanity. Give up infinity but the lenses I want to use will justify that.

JohnBrew

Thank you. My fault. The question wasn't meant for Andy. I shot a 67 once - a bit of a monster and not the least bit stealthy with that shutter! It seems that adapting for an older lens, while helpful to those already owning such lenses, would encounter the same problem as using older Pentax lenses. It seems the need is for more modern lenses which are capable of taking advantage of the new sensor.

hsteeves

the Pentax 67-645 adapters are usually quite good, depending on past use and there are some 67 lenses which do very well on 645 sensors. I like my 55, 105 and 400. Other folks have other likes.

stngoldberg

I have made the mistake of taking too many different systems to a wildlife workshop...missed too many shots trying to use everything...the old adage about using to right tool for the job may apply here
Lately when I shoot wildlife, I take my Nikon D800E with my 200-400mm lens and/or my 500mm lens with the 1.4 extender and the newest 2x extender (which is amazingly sharp).
Stanley

Pradeep

Pradeep,

I've never been to Africa on a wildlife photography safari, but have experience photographing wildlife and traveling with multiple kits.

Carrying four different cameras (1DX, 7D2, 645Z and a7R) sounds excessive to me, and quite possibly may get in the way of capturing those magic moments that we all seek. Since two of your cameras are Canon mounts, I'd suggest taking only one of them, with the 100-400mm "glued" on. If you carry the a7R, take a Canon EF-to-Sony E-mount adapter (Metabones III or IV) so that you can use that same lens on the Sony (just in case). Following your lead, I'm now shooting with a Pentax 645Z and would suggest taking the 45-85mm, 150mm and 300mm (assuming you won't be shopping for more gear before your trip). If you had the 80-160mm zoom, I would have suggested taking that lens instead of either the 120mm or 150mm.

From a practical perspective, taking multiple kits means taking multiple chargers, batteries, filters and other accessories. It's a PITA to keep track of. And lens swapping in dusty environments leads to frequent sensor cleaning or ruined shots due to a dirty sensor. You also mentioned the weight factor. For me, carrying a heavy backpack or shoulder bag for days at a time takes away from the enjoyment of the experience. YMMV.

Guy said it best:

Have a great trip and don't miss the "great stuff" by carrying too much gear.

Joe
Joe, I hear you. I wish things were as simple.

Going on a trip to Africa is a huge investment in time and money. Usually one has to plan these at least a year in advance (I already have a trip booked to Botswana for April 2016).

All this means that you cannot afford to spoil the whole thing by having your equipment malfunction on you. With the heat, humidity, dust and extremes of temperature between early morning and mid-day the camera and lenses take a lot of bashing. Then there is the danger of dropping them from the vehicle or within the vehicle itself as it bumps along on a very poor and often wet and muddy track.

I've had a stuck shutter on my 1D4 in Tanzania in 2013 and dropped my 1DX with the 70-200 2.8 attached to it, fortunately in the back of the vehicle, so it survived. On another trip to Kenya my 40D with the old 100-400L fell out of my Kinesis bag as I was stepping out of the vehicle.

I don't know of anybody who has not had a minor or major mishap on one of these trips and you absolutely cannot take the chance of your one and only camera stop working on you. So I always take a backup body of the same make. With the 1DX, the 7D2 also serves as a 'longer lens' option if you will.

The 645Z is a completely different animal and I am quite excited to be trying it out, perhaps it will see more use than the 35mm, who knows?

The little A7R with the 35mm lens on it is a simple walkaround camera, won't take up much space and in a way will serve as a high resolution backup to the Pentax. I do have the metabones adapter that I will take with me.

Yes, this means a whole lot of different batteries and their chargers, CF and SD cards, lenses, lens caps and what not. Add the laptop, iPad, backup HDs, cables, cleaning supplies etc and you have a super heavy package.

It is of course possible to go back to square one and just take a simple P&S and enjoy the experience, but as nature photographers that's not what we are about. Much as the 'being there' turns me on, capturing that slice of reality I see in the viewfinder leaves me breathless.

I am fortunate on this trip that there is no 'backpacking', everything will sit in the vehicle by my side in my roller so I can access it easily. I do agree changing cameras and lenses can get tedious very soon. Usually the scene dictates what you take out of the bag next to you and I just use that until the next thing happens.

Pradeep

Pemihan

I'm joining a 15 day photographic expedition (oar rafts, no motors) through the Grand Canyon in May 2016 and am already starting to have the same thoughts of what to bring and what not.

One thing is certain I won't go with just one back! But I'm thinking of going light with just my tech cam and 3-4 lenses and a (rental) backup back and a tool set and various spare parts for the shutters and such.

No room for laptops so plenty of CF cards. Also plenty of batteries as there's no way of charging but I'm looking into a solar powered solution to take along.

I'll probably get some kind of smaller camera to take along as well, like the A7R or something similar. Probably just with one wide lens. Oh and a GoPro for the rapid rides :)

So I'm there with Pradeep, these trips are one in a lifetime investments and being there and having your gear fail with no backup would be just heartbreaking.

Last edited:

Pradeep

I have travelled twice to Kenya on Safari, three to a vehicle. On both occasions
I traveled with Hasselblad H3D-31 with a 300mm, 210mm with 1.7X converter.
I made over 2000 exposures with this system. I have prints 40X60 made from them. Do't leave them behind. I also had a Canon system with me.(BACK UP).
Best.
OP
Actually, it may turn out that my main camera during this trip could well be the 645Z! The Canon would then simply be a backup or for those frenetic action sequences (tiger leaping over a stream).

Pradeep

I'm joining a 15 day photographic expedition (oar rafts, no motors) through the Grand Canyon in May 2016 and am already starting to have the same thoughts of what to bring and what not.

One thing is certain I won't go with just one back! But I'm thinking of going light with just my tech cam and 3-4 lenses and a (rental) backup back and a tool set and various spare parts for the shutters and such.

No room for laptops so plenty of CF cards. Also plenty of batteries as there's no way of charging but I'm looking into a solar powered solution to take along.

I'll probably get some kind of smaller camera to take along as well, like the A7R or something similar. Probably just with one wide lens. Oh and a GoPro for the rapid rides :)

So I'm there with Pradeep, these trips are one in a lifetime investments and being there and having your gear fail with no backup would be just heartbreaking.
Peter, in the end you may end up with just as much gear as me on my trip ;)

Seriously though, there are solar chargers now with USB ports that you can charge your iPhone off of. I have one that is slightly bigger than a letter-sized sheet of paper, can be folded when not being used, weighs very little. I am sure there are others that can generate more current too.

Pradeep

Actually, it may turn out that my main camera during this trip could well be the 645Z! The Canon would then simply be a backup or for those frenetic action sequences (tiger leaping over a stream).
If you find a tiger in Africa, please let me know! yuk yuk yuk. I crack myself up. I know what you mean, though. That's the approach I now take, which is the MF gear comes first and 35mm gear fills in the gaps.

Enjoy your safari!

algrove

After reading this thread, I am wondering why not take another 645Z as backup and perhaps a small whateveryouchoose as one more backup?

As for Grand Canyon, other than go pro, you had better contemplate a totally waterproof still camera too, even if APS-C or whatever.

Pradeep

If you find a tiger in Africa, please let me know! yuk yuk yuk. I crack myself up. I know what you mean, though. That's the approach I now take, which is the MF gear comes first and 35mm gear fills in the gaps.

Enjoy your safari!
Andy, I know what you mean. I've been meaning to go see tigers in India for years but every time we visit I get caught up in family affairs and never have the time. From friends in India and others who have gone to see tigers in the various parks, it is hit or miss and you could be there for a whole week and not seen much of a tiger.

OTOH, even though it may not be totally authentic, the tigers in Tiger Canyon are now as native as can be and have totally adapted to their new environment, and of course the cubs that are born have never known any other place. While the park itself may be fenced, so is all of Sabi Sands and most of Kruger. From a close friend who was there last year, the experience is no different from any of those locations (he has been to various parts of Africa about a dozen times).

On the larger issue of photographing animals in captivity or semi-captivity, we could have a separate discussion. I would actually love to hear your views on that, but perhaps in another thread.

Pradeep

Pradeep

After reading this thread, I am wondering why not take another 645Z as backup and perhaps a small whateveryouchoose as one more backup?

As for Grand Canyon, other than go pro, you had better contemplate a totally waterproof still camera too, even if APS-C or whatever.
That is a novel thought, but I am still a bit of a chicken :eek:

Perhaps when I've had the confidence of using MF for long enough I might just do that. I think it will happen, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Pradeep

D&A

This will be sort of brief (am at work), and will try not to repeat what others have said....although some really excellent advice has been posted. I've shot a fair amount of wildlife with the 645D (some captive) and much as pay for hire situations including sale of prints for commercial use, which is why at the time I used the 645D. All in North America (no Africa unfortunately). The 645D of course is far less versatile for such pursuits than the 645z.

My recommendation for a first time trip as such would be at the very least, use your Canon as your mainstay with two or three capable bodies, a modest but good selection of lenses (zooms to limit egress of dust etc.) and one long lens in case it becomes necessary. Canon and Nikon equipment has been proven many times to be up to the task in such environments and with suitable backups for the Canon system, I would personally feel confident. I shoot Nikon so I can only relate to the Nikon lenses I would take along as well as which bodies, otherwise I'd make specific recommendations.

I'd also take along a high performance P&S for grab shots or a rare just in case situation.

As for the 645Z, (and I've known another who took his on a first time trip (I'll reserve comment at the moment) and if you absolutely must take it, the only lenses I would then pack like others have suggested, would be the 45-85, 150 (or 120 macro if you are set on macro shots) and a telephoto like one of the 300mm. The 1.4x I'd only use on the fast 300 f4 . As others here know, I've tested all Pentax Af 645 lens as well as all the newly released ones and have learned their strengths and weaknesses, but everyone has their preference's and uses, so its a personal choice. I just know based on my in-depth testing, which ones I'd use for a specific application.

Knowing your equipment and characteristics is in my opinion the key to "getting the shoot", especially if the moment is fleeting. Don't bog yourself down by traveling and confronted by a mountain of choices...especally with a kitchen sink full of bodies and lenses.

Sounds like a once in a lifetime trip. Have room in your suitcase for me? :). Have a great time and remember to enjoy the experience as much as enjoying the shooting itself.

P.S. I just was notified that this is not your 1st trip to Africa. Neverless most of my previous comments apply.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

algrove

D&A;641693 As others here know said:
Dave
Have you summarized any of the latest 645 lenses somewhere that might help me gain more knowledge. As a matter of fact the older lenses could be interest also. I a new 645Z user this becomes invaluable, TIA

Lou

Pradeep

Dave, thanks so much for your work in testing out the various lenses for the Pentax and also for your comments here.

No, this is not my first trip and hopefully not the last either :)

Do you think the 45-85 is a better choice than the 55 - I ask from the weight point of view and some reports that the zoom is soft at longer end.

I think as my experience with the 645 grows I will become more confident in its use as my primary camera, but I am a bit far from that right now. So the Canon system will definitely see quite a bit of use on this trip.

Pradeep

D&A

Lou,

You can find Dave's test results here.

Joe
Thank you very much Joe, greatly appreciated.. Lou, you'll notice none of the new lenses like your 25mm, 28-45 zoom, 90mm macro amd a few older lenses like the manual focus 600 f5.6 are included in the posted results. I've tested multiple samples of these lenses too but since the intial posted report (Part I) simply haven't had time to write up Part II. Something always comes up to get in the way. I have though provided general feedback on each when asked.

Dave (D&A)

algrove

Lou,

You can find Dave's test results here.

Joe
Joe

I now realize I saw this excellent lens test results. I was hoping for a follow-up with the newer 645 lenses which are of the sealed variety like the 25, 28-45. 55 and 90 macro.

Also I just wonder if many of the original comments by D&A back in 2012 still apply when using the 645Z or there is now room to fine tune comment based on 645Z usage.