Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 645Z Going wild!

Post Thanks / Like

645Z Going wild!

Apologies for the title, thought it would catch your attention

I know Andy Biggs is perhaps one of a handful of pros who uses MF for his wildlife imaging. He uses the Phase 645 DF+ and the IQ250 with a variety of lenses, the 645Z is equally good if not better (same sensor as the IQ250) but the choice of lenses is obviously different.

In just over a week I will be leaving for South Africa for a ten day wildlife photo workshop. I will of course be taking my 1DX with a few 35mm lenses and a 7D2 as backup for it. I am also planning to take the Z with me and this will be the first 'outing' of this sort with the big boy. The A7R will come along for the ride as 'mini me' for the Pentax. Ambitious, I know, but hey, what's life without some indulgence?

There is always a weight and size restriction on these trips, not so much for flying since we are driving to each location within SA, but mainly for my back and shoulders! Plus the hassle of fiddling about with various bodies and lenses and keeping it all within reach in a vehicle that is bouncing along the rugged roads. Fortunately there will be just 3 of us in each vehicle so space around me will not be a huge problem.

We will be traveling to 'Tiger Canyon', a private reserve for Bengal tigers, and Londolozzi, in Sabi Sands. Both places are quite different from the vast plains and vistas of the Mara in Kenya or Tanzania. The animals are much closer though often partially obscured by the bush.

I have now acquired six lenses for the Pentax, and couldn't be happier with all of them, they serve different needs and are surprisingly light even when compared to my Canon glass.

However, I'd rather not lug everything and the kitchen sink to Africa if you get my drift.

So my questions to folks here are:

1.Has anybody used MF for wildlife photography, and if so, what is the experience like? I know the pitfalls related to slow AF, frame rate, shallow DOF, poor low-light performance etc, but the Pentax is more like a 35mm DSLR as I am realizing so I can live with these (plus the ISO invariance of the Pentax means its DR is better than the 1DX).

2. What sort of focal lengths would work? From my past experience, most of the images in these type of locations ask for focal lengths less than 600mm - in fact I am banking on that and therefore taking my 100-400L MkII as the longest lens. Also, I am increasingly becoming a 'habitat' rather than a 'portrait' photographer when it comes to wildlife. BTW, there is very little opportunity to photograph birds in either location.

The current Pentax lenses I own are the 45-85 FA, 55 DFA, 75 FA, 120 FA macro, 150 FA and 300 FA.

I am planning to take the 55 DFA (since it seems to be the sharpest), the 120 and the 300. I may throw the 75 in the bag since it seems to weight next to nothing.

I think I know the answers to my own questions, but would love to hear from anybody else who has traveled down this particular road.

Pradeep
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 645Z Going wild!

You may already know this, but Nick Brandt uses a Pentax 67 with 3 lenses 55, 105 and 200mm for his wildlife photography. Using the 67, he obviously also uses film. Or at least, that was what he used when this interview was made:

http://www.nickbrandt.com/UserImages..._06%281%29.pdf

Nick Brandt : Photography

Personally, I don't have any experience with this. However, I have reduced my own kit to 4 lenses for all my photography: 21, 28, 50 and 105mm (35mm sensor). I might add one longer lens later, but I've found that minimizing my gear improves my photography, the experience as well as the images. I suppose I would have brought something really long for wildlife, but only one kind of body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    You may already know this, but Nick Brandt uses a Pentax 67 with 3 lenses 55, 105 and 200mm for his wildlife photography. Using the 67, he obviously also uses film. Or at least, that was what he used when this interview was made:

Personally, I don't have any experience with this. However, I have reduced my own kit to 4 lenses for all my photography: 21, 28, 50 and 105mm (35mm sensor). I might add one longer lens later, but I've found that minimizing my gear improves my photography, the experience as well as the images. I suppose I would have brought something really long for wildlife, but only one kind of body.

Nick no longer uses Pentax.

Steve Hendrix
    CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Nick no longer uses Pentax.

Steve Hendrix
    CI
    Interesting. Has he changed to digital?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I have seen this on the 27 workshops I have been a instructor on. It's really simple to much freaking gear. It truly gets in the way for most people. Classic should I grab this one or should I use this one or let's spend 20 minutes in the field deciding which apertures/ shutter yada yada yada. Stop the madness . Take your MF and a back up 35mm with a long lens and a mid tele. I can't tell you how all that gear will get in the way and you most likely will miss some great stuff. I can't tell you how much I am out gunned by the attendees when it comes to gear. I never come home empty handed.
    Just a thought
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pradeep:

I'm not a wildlife photographer, but I sometimes shoot birds since they are prevalent where I live and I enjoy the images. I would suggest you take a 400mm FA for the Pentax. It's not heavy, has good AF and is overall an excellent lens. I list below a few shots taken with the 645D, a much more limited camera than the Z. The hummingbird shot used AF on the 400mm, the eagle and bird in flight used the manual focus 600mm with the 1.4x. The 600 might be a bit too large for your trip, but the 400mm should be a definite.

Tom

20120818_1515 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP1004 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP0783 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Take the MF gear and a micro 4/3's or APS-C camera as the backup. The 35mm gear will weigh as much or more.

I always carry a Fuji XT-1 and 1 lens in the field when I am working with the Tech camera as I know there will be shots I want that I am just to tired to old to get the tech into position to work with. On trips I am really pushed for weight I only carry a Canon S95, shirt pocket.

Also if I had a 35mm, A7r or Nikon D810, I would probably not work with the tech camera since I often find the results can be pretty close. (just me no flames) and the 35mm is a lot easier to work with.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I have travelled twice to Kenya on Safari, three to a vehicle. On both occasions
    I traveled with Hasselblad H3D-31 with a 300mm, 210mm with 1.7X converter.
    I made over 2000 exposures with this system. I have prints 40X60 made from them. Do't leave them behind. I also had a Canon system with me.(BACK UP).
    Best.
    OP

Post Thanks / Like

I w as at a workshop with Andy Biggs in Utah last month. He had an ALPA STC w/IQ280 & three lenses. I believe his long lens was a 240.

Forgive me, this is a bit OT: Some of you know I am wrestling with switching over to MFDB from my D810. It doesn't matter which route I go, I'll only be taking two lenses out in the field from now on. The Utah workshop convinced me that all that gear weighed me down in more ways than one. And yes, I'd go longer than shorter.
    Last edited by JohnBrew; 16th May 2015 at 13:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you intend to shoot macro, I'd take the 150mm over the 120mm, as the optics perform essentially the same between f5.6 and f/11, but it focuses faster and weighs less than the macro.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking from the experience of using a Phase DF and both an IQ160 and now a IQ180 in Jackson Hole I'd recommend long lens. I've shot with an older Mamiya 300 and got great shots to the point that it made me think of the 240LS both with and without the 2x. I found shooting the 300 and 240 can be done handheld "most of the time" however using the 2x on the 240 required a steady setup. The good thing is that I can also use the 2x on my 150. So, if I were in your boots I'd be taking my 150 and 240 as well as the 2x while making certain that I also have a very sturdy pod to use.

Looks like you have a great trip planned and figure it this way - it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. So if in doubt, take it....

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pradeep:

One more lens suggestion: 150-300mm f/5.6 zoom. This lens is fairly new to me, but I'm very happy with it. I tested it vs. the 150mm A and FA, the 200mm A and FA and the 67 300mm M* and don't feel I'm losing anything with the zoom except speed.

Tom

e.g.:

_IGP4555 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP3835 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you have the Pentax 300mm f/4, just add the 1.4x teleconverter, which gives you a 420mm f/5.6. The TC is about the same size and weight as the 75mm lens. Oddly enough, I always use manual focus for wildlife as I find it quicker--yes AF can be quicker, if it focuses of what you want. I find the size of the 645 focusing screen to be large enough to manually focus accurately.

From your lens list, I agree and would take the 55mm DFA, 120mm macro, and 300mm. But I like primes, I might swap the 55mm for the 45-85mm zoom, but I have never used that lens. On a trip like this, I would not "throw" in a lens because it is light--it might be, but when you pack that way, the ounces add up fast. I would be very lean in my gear. Gear can sap energy and not actually guarantee results. You will never have the wrong lens, but you might take the "wrong" picture...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wen on a safari last summer and I can say for certain that your normals and short telephotos become your wides in Africa. So I agree take the longest lenses you own. I had my 180/2.8 bolted on my A7rand swapped lenses between 55-135 on my A7. At times I wished I had a longer Len and a 150-600 would be ideal. I agree with those that tell you to take the longer stuff or back up the MF with a DSLR with a long telephoto zoom.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

I am a huge fan his work and a supporter of his Big Life foundation but I think he is in a class by himself and does a lot more work with his images to reach the final version.

Yes, I agree, sometimes less is more.....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, just chiming in late to the party, as I was on a tiger safari in India.

I shoot with a DF+, IQ250 and a handful of lenses (28mm, 45mm, 75-150mm and 240mm). When I am on a wildlife safari in Africa, I usually only bring my 240mm lens and a 2x teleconverter. Since I have been running safaris for almost 15 years, I am ok if I miss certain types of 'I was here' shots and go for those types of images that tell stories about where I am and what the environment is like. And, depending on my location, I may be driving a vehicle on top of teaching and shooting. On an 8 night safari, I may come up with a whopping 250 shots and only 1 or 2 are what I end up liking, but that's still a great catch in my world. In 2015 I have taken this setup to Botswana with me and I think I came home with 4 or 5 images in 8 days.

With all of this being said if it was my first safari I would want to augment this MF gear with a nice 35mm kit for all of those types of shots where MF equipment isn't a good fit (long focal lengths, high frames per second, fast action, etc).

Enjoy your trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Unless you intend to shoot macro, I'd take the 150mm over the 120mm, as the optics perform essentially the same between f5.6 and f/11, but it focuses faster and weighs less than the macro.
    You are correct and that is what I might do. The 120 is a bit sharper wide open but stopped down they are equally good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Pradeep:

One more lens suggestion: 150-300mm f/5.6 zoom. This lens is fairly new to me, but I'm very happy with it. I tested it vs. the 150mm A and FA, the 200mm A and FA and the 67 300mm M* and don't feel I'm losing anything with the zoom except speed.

Tom

e.g.:
    Tom, your images are beautiful. I've read mixed reports of the zoom, perhaps when stopped down it matches up to the rest. The convenience is great of course.

As far as the 400 and 600 are concerned, I have more or less given up on long lenses though the Pentax 400 is intriguing, given how sharp it is reported to be and much lighter than expected. The 300 (I have the 5.6) is equally sharp and lighter still, and if I had to choose between the 300 and 400 I would have to go with the shorter lens.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    Hey guys, just chiming in late to the party, as I was on a tiger safari in India.

I shoot with a DF+, IQ250 and a handful of lenses (28mm, 45mm, 75-150mm and 240mm). When I am on a wildlife safari in Africa, I usually only bring my 240mm lens and a 2x teleconverter. Since I have been running safaris for almost 15 years, I am ok if I miss certain types of 'I was here' shots and go for those types of images that tell stories about where I am and what the environment is like. And, depending on my location, I may be driving a vehicle on top of teaching and shooting. On an 8 night safari, I may come up with a whopping 250 shots and only 1 or 2 are what I end up liking, but that's still a great catch in my world. In 2015 I have taken this setup to Botswana with me and I think I came home with 4 or 5 images in 8 days.

With all of this being said if it was my first safari I would want to augment this MF gear with a nice 35mm kit for all of those types of shots where MF equipment isn't a good fit (long focal lengths, high frames per second, fast action, etc).

Enjoy your trip!!
    Thank you Andy.

Yes, I will be taking my Canon kit with me, but no super teles. I sold my 600 MkII last year and as I said, I am slowly moving towards wider shots of wildlife. I have not quite reached the stage where I am sated with my image collection (don't think anybody ever does) and still need to see and record everything. This will be my fourth trip to Africa and I don't think I will ever get tired of it.

Do you often use the 2X with the 240 LS lens? Given the similarities in sensor size between the IQ250 and the 645Z, I think the Pentax 400 may offer the same FOV but I would rather not take another big lens with me.

I love the look of MF and will probably try to shoot as much with it as I can on this trip. I have a tour of Botswana coming up in a year or so and this will be a good test of the Pentax in the wild.

Thanks for pitching in with your experiences, it has been very useful.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use the 240mm lens without a teleconverter, but every now and then I slap in on if I have the time or want a different composition.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use the 240mm lens without a teleconverter, but every now and then I slap in on if I have the time or want a different composition.
    Thanks Andy, that helps a lot in my decision making.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, if you are not using the ALPA STC you had in Utah, please send it to me

PS: I hope you bagged your tiger.

PPS: Are there adapters for other manufacturer's lenses for the Pentax?

Post Thanks / Like

although I am not Andy, I have adapted both Pentax 67 and Hasselblad V lenses to my Pentax digital body. I think I saw a Bronica SQ lens adapter once, somewhere. Working on codging together an adapter for Mamiya 645 to Pentax 645 but I need a Pentax extension tube. SK Grimes says they can do it - some question about my sanity. Give up infinity but the lenses I want to use will justify that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. My fault. The question wasn't meant for Andy. I shot a 67 once - a bit of a monster and not the least bit stealthy with that shutter! It seems that adapting for an older lens, while helpful to those already owning such lenses, would encounter the same problem as using older Pentax lenses. It seems the need is for more modern lenses which are capable of taking advantage of the new sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

the Pentax 67-645 adapters are usually quite good, depending on past use and there are some 67 lenses which do very well on 645 sensors. I like my 55, 105 and 400. Other folks have other likes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have made the mistake of taking too many different systems to a wildlife workshop...missed too many shots trying to use everything...the old adage about using to right tool for the job may apply here
    Lately when I shoot wildlife, I take my Nikon D800E with my 200-400mm lens and/or my 500mm lens with the 1.4 extender and the newest 2x extender (which is amazingly sharp).
    Stanley
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pradeep,

I've never been to Africa on a wildlife photography safari, but have experience photographing wildlife and traveling with multiple kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    I will of course be taking my 1DX with a few 35mm lenses and a 7D2 as backup for it. I am also planning to take the Z with me and this will be the first 'outing' of this sort with the big boy. The A7R will come along for the ride as 'mini me' for the Pentax.
    Carrying four different cameras (1DX, 7D2, 645Z and a7R) sounds excessive to me, and quite possibly may get in the way of capturing those magic moments that we all seek. Since two of your cameras are Canon mounts, I'd suggest taking only one of them, with the 100-400mm "glued" on. If you carry the a7R, take a Canon EF-to-Sony E-mount adapter (Metabones III or IV) so that you can use that same lens on the Sony (just in case). Following your lead, I'm now shooting with a Pentax 645Z and would suggest taking the 45-85mm, 150mm and 300mm (assuming you won't be shopping for more gear before your trip). If you had the 80-160mm zoom, I would have suggested taking that lens instead of either the 120mm or 150mm.

From a practical perspective, taking multiple kits means taking multiple chargers, batteries, filters and other accessories. It's a PITA to keep track of. And lens swapping in dusty environments leads to frequent sensor cleaning or ruined shots due to a dirty sensor. You also mentioned the weight factor. For me, carrying a heavy backpack or shoulder bag for days at a time takes away from the enjoyment of the experience. YMMV.

Guy said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I can't tell you how all that gear will get in the way and you most likely will miss some great stuff.
    Have a great trip and don't miss the "great stuff" by carrying too much gear.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Pradeep,

I've never been to Africa on a wildlife photography safari, but have experience photographing wildlife and traveling with multiple kits.

Carrying four different cameras (1DX, 7D2, 645Z and a7R) sounds excessive to me, and quite possibly may get in the way of capturing those magic moments that we all seek. Since two of your cameras are Canon mounts, I'd suggest taking only one of them, with the 100-400mm "glued" on. If you carry the a7R, take a Canon EF-to-Sony E-mount adapter (Metabones III or IV) so that you can use that same lens on the Sony (just in case). Following your lead, I'm now shooting with a Pentax 645Z and would suggest taking the 45-85mm, 150mm and 300mm (assuming you won't be shopping for more gear before your trip). If you had the 80-160mm zoom, I would have suggested taking that lens instead of either the 120mm or 150mm.

From a practical perspective, taking multiple kits means taking multiple chargers, batteries, filters and other accessories. It's a PITA to keep track of. And lens swapping in dusty environments leads to frequent sensor cleaning or ruined shots due to a dirty sensor. You also mentioned the weight factor. For me, carrying a heavy backpack or shoulder bag for days at a time takes away from the enjoyment of the experience. YMMV.

Guy said it best:

Have a great trip and don't miss the "great stuff" by carrying too much gear.

Joe
    Joe, I hear you. I wish things were as simple.

Going on a trip to Africa is a huge investment in time and money. Usually one has to plan these at least a year in advance (I already have a trip booked to Botswana for April 2016).

All this means that you cannot afford to spoil the whole thing by having your equipment malfunction on you. With the heat, humidity, dust and extremes of temperature between early morning and mid-day the camera and lenses take a lot of bashing. Then there is the danger of dropping them from the vehicle or within the vehicle itself as it bumps along on a very poor and often wet and muddy track.

I've had a stuck shutter on my 1D4 in Tanzania in 2013 and dropped my 1DX with the 70-200 2.8 attached to it, fortunately in the back of the vehicle, so it survived. On another trip to Kenya my 40D with the old 100-400L fell out of my Kinesis bag as I was stepping out of the vehicle.

I don't know of anybody who has not had a minor or major mishap on one of these trips and you absolutely cannot take the chance of your one and only camera stop working on you. So I always take a backup body of the same make. With the 1DX, the 7D2 also serves as a 'longer lens' option if you will.

The 645Z is a completely different animal and I am quite excited to be trying it out, perhaps it will see more use than the 35mm, who knows?

The little A7R with the 35mm lens on it is a simple walkaround camera, won't take up much space and in a way will serve as a high resolution backup to the Pentax. I do have the metabones adapter that I will take with me.

Yes, this means a whole lot of different batteries and their chargers, CF and SD cards, lenses, lens caps and what not. Add the laptop, iPad, backup HDs, cables, cleaning supplies etc and you have a super heavy package.

It is of course possible to go back to square one and just take a simple P&S and enjoy the experience, but as nature photographers that's not what we are about. Much as the 'being there' turns me on, capturing that slice of reality I see in the viewfinder leaves me breathless.

I am fortunate on this trip that there is no 'backpacking', everything will sit in the vehicle by my side in my roller so I can access it easily. I do agree changing cameras and lenses can get tedious very soon. Usually the scene dictates what you take out of the bag next to you and I just use that until the next thing happens.

Pradeep
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm joining a 15 day photographic expedition (oar rafts, no motors) through the Grand Canyon in May 2016 and am already starting to have the same thoughts of what to bring and what not.

One thing is certain I won't go with just one back! But I'm thinking of going light with just my tech cam and 3-4 lenses and a (rental) backup back and a tool set and various spare parts for the shutters and such.

No room for laptops so plenty of CF cards. Also plenty of batteries as there's no way of charging but I'm looking into a solar powered solution to take along.

I'll probably get some kind of smaller camera to take along as well, like the A7R or something similar. Probably just with one wide lens. Oh and a GoPro for the rapid rides :-)

So I'm there with Pradeep, these trips are one in a lifetime investments and being there and having your gear fail with no backup would be just heartbreaking.
    Last edited by Pemihan; 18th May 2015 at 05:41.
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rollei8is View Post
    I have travelled twice to Kenya on Safari, three to a vehicle. On both occasions
    I traveled with Hasselblad H3D-31 with a 300mm, 210mm with 1.7X converter.
    I made over 2000 exposures with this system. I have prints 40X60 made from them. Do't leave them behind. I also had a Canon system with me.(BACK UP).
    Best.
    OP
    Actually, it may turn out that my main camera during this trip could well be the 645Z! The Canon would then simply be a backup or for those frenetic action sequences (tiger leaping over a stream).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    I'm joining a 15 day photographic expedition (oar rafts, no motors) through the Grand Canyon in May 2016 and am already starting to have the same thoughts of what to bring and what not.

One thing is certain I won't go with just one back! But I'm thinking of going light with just my tech cam and 3-4 lenses and a (rental) backup back and a tool set and various spare parts for the shutters and such.

No room for laptops so plenty of CF cards. Also plenty of batteries as there's no way of charging but I'm looking into a solar powered solution to take along.

I'll probably get some kind of smaller camera to take along as well, like the A7R or something similar. Probably just with one wide lens. Oh and a GoPro for the rapid rides :-)

So I'm there with Pradeep, these trips are one in a lifetime investments and being there and having your gear fail with no backup would be just heartbreaking.
    Peter, in the end you may end up with just as much gear as me on my trip

Seriously though, there are solar chargers now with USB ports that you can charge your iPhone off of. I have one that is slightly bigger than a letter-sized sheet of paper, can be folded when not being used, weighs very little. I am sure there are others that can generate more current too.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it may turn out that my main camera during this trip could well be the 645Z! The Canon would then simply be a backup or for those frenetic action sequences (tiger leaping over a stream).
    If you find a tiger in Africa, please let me know! yuk yuk yuk. I crack myself up. I know what you mean, though. That's the approach I now take, which is the MF gear comes first and 35mm gear fills in the gaps.

Enjoy your safari!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After reading this thread, I am wondering why not take another 645Z as backup and perhaps a small whateveryouchoose as one more backup?

As for Grand Canyon, other than go pro, you had better contemplate a totally waterproof still camera too, even if APS-C or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

If you find a tiger in Africa, please let me know! yuk yuk yuk. I crack myself up. I know what you mean, though. That's the approach I now take, which is the MF gear comes first and 35mm gear fills in the gaps.

Enjoy your safari!
    Andy, I know what you mean. I've been meaning to go see tigers in India for years but every time we visit I get caught up in family affairs and never have the time. From friends in India and others who have gone to see tigers in the various parks, it is hit or miss and you could be there for a whole week and not seen much of a tiger.

OTOH, even though it may not be totally authentic, the tigers in Tiger Canyon are now as native as can be and have totally adapted to their new environment, and of course the cubs that are born have never known any other place. While the park itself may be fenced, so is all of Sabi Sands and most of Kruger. From a close friend who was there last year, the experience is no different from any of those locations (he has been to various parts of Africa about a dozen times).

On the larger issue of photographing animals in captivity or semi-captivity, we could have a separate discussion. I would actually love to hear your views on that, but perhaps in another thread.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    After reading this thread, I am wondering why not take another 645Z as backup and perhaps a small whateveryouchoose as one more backup?

As for Grand Canyon, other than go pro, you had better contemplate a totally waterproof still camera too, even if APS-C or whatever.
    That is a novel thought, but I am still a bit of a chicken

Perhaps when I've had the confidence of using MF for long enough I might just do that. I think it will happen, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Pradeep

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This will be sort of brief (am at work), and will try not to repeat what others have said....although some really excellent advice has been posted. I've shot a fair amount of wildlife with the 645D (some captive) and much as pay for hire situations including sale of prints for commercial use, which is why at the time I used the 645D. All in North America (no Africa unfortunately). The 645D of course is far less versatile for such pursuits than the 645z.

My recommendation for a first time trip as such would be at the very least, use your Canon as your mainstay with two or three capable bodies, a modest but good selection of lenses (zooms to limit egress of dust etc.) and one long lens in case it becomes necessary. Canon and Nikon equipment has been proven many times to be up to the task in such environments and with suitable backups for the Canon system, I would personally feel confident. I shoot Nikon so I can only relate to the Nikon lenses I would take along as well as which bodies, otherwise I'd make specific recommendations.

I'd also take along a high performance P&S for grab shots or a rare just in case situation.

As for the 645Z, (and I've known another who took his on a first time trip (I'll reserve comment at the moment) and if you absolutely must take it, the only lenses I would then pack like others have suggested, would be the 45-85, 150 (or 120 macro if you are set on macro shots) and a telephoto like one of the 300mm. The 1.4x I'd only use on the fast 300 f4 . As others here know, I've tested all Pentax Af 645 lens as well as all the newly released ones and have learned their strengths and weaknesses, but everyone has their preference's and uses, so its a personal choice. I just know based on my in-depth testing, which ones I'd use for a specific application.

Knowing your equipment and characteristics is in my opinion the key to "getting the shoot", especially if the moment is fleeting. Don't bog yourself down by traveling and confronted by a mountain of choices...especally with a kitchen sink full of bodies and lenses.

Sounds like a once in a lifetime trip. Have room in your suitcase for me? . Have a great time and remember to enjoy the experience as much as enjoying the shooting itself.

P.S. I just was notified that this is not your 1st trip to Africa. Neverless most of my previous comments apply.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 18th May 2015 at 12:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=D&A;641693 As others here know, I've tested all Pentax Af 645 lens as well as all the newly released ones and have learned their strengths and weaknesses, but everyone has their preference's and uses, so its a personal choice. I just know based on my in-depth testing, which ones I'd use for a specific application.

Dave (D&A)[/QUOTE]

Dave
    Have you summarized any of the latest 645 lenses somewhere that might help me gain more knowledge. As a matter of fact the older lenses could be interest also. I a new 645Z user this becomes invaluable, TIA

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave
    Have you summarized any of the latest 645 lenses somewhere that might help me gain more knowledge. As a matter of fact the older lenses could be interest also. I a new 645Z user this becomes invaluable, TIA

Lou
    Lou,

You can find Dave's test results here.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, thanks so much for your work in testing out the various lenses for the Pentax and also for your comments here.

No, this is not my first trip and hopefully not the last either :-)

Do you think the 45-85 is a better choice than the 55 - I ask from the weight point of view and some reports that the zoom is soft at longer end.

I think as my experience with the 645 grows I will become more confident in its use as my primary camera, but I am a bit far from that right now. So the Canon system will definitely see quite a bit of use on this trip.

Pradeep

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lou,

Joe
    Thank you very much Joe, greatly appreciated.. Lou, you'll notice none of the new lenses like your 25mm, 28-45 zoom, 90mm macro amd a few older lenses like the manual focus 600 f5.6 are included in the posted results. I've tested multiple samples of these lenses too but since the intial posted report (Part I) simply haven't had time to write up Part II. Something always comes up to get in the way. I have though provided general feedback on each when asked.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lou,

Joe
    Joe

I now realize I saw this excellent lens test results. I was hoping for a follow-up with the newer 645 lenses which are of the sealed variety like the 25, 28-45. 55 and 90 macro.

Also I just wonder if many of the original comments by D&A back in 2012 still apply when using the 645Z or there is now room to fine tune comment based on 645Z usage.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, thanks so much for your work in testing out the various lenses for the Pentax and also for your comments here.

No, this is not my first trip and hopefully not the last either :-)

Do you think the 45-85 is a better choice than the 55 - I ask from the weight point of view and some reports that the zoom is soft at longer end.

I think as my experience with the 645 grows I will become more confident in its use as my primary camera, but I am a bit far from that right now. So the Canon system will definitely see quite a bit of use on this trip.

Pradeep
    Again becuase I am at work and on my cell phone at the moment, my response will be brief. The 55mm is a good to very good lens but I found sample to sample variation and many have side's and corners that lag behind central resolution until well stopped down. Some had edges that never quite caught up to center sharpness. The lens is WR and is certainly light enough and focuses quite fast but personally its not my very favorite.

By contrast a excellent sample of the 45-85 has turned out a most useful lens amd optically very good to excellent especially between 45-65mm even when shot wide open. At these more open apertures, the 85mm focal length is softer in comparison but still decent and once stopped down a bit more comes close to the rest of the zoom range. All this is predicated on both a good sample as well as adjusting given lens for front/back focusing thru the 645z menu. (Fine tuning lens). This is important especially with this lens.

Bigger and considerably heavier than the 55mm and not WR, its a tradeoff but personally if it comes down to optics, I'd reach for the zoom. Many of my ley pages for professional jobs and very large format prints were taken with this lens.

Keep in mind I pixel peek at 100% of the entire frame and also often print crops of what would be very large prints before determining performance of a given lens.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave

Lou
    Here's my take on the lenses I've used.

55mm f/2.8 - pretty good lens overall, but the far corners are soft, even at f11. Everyone should have this lens, it's usable for just about any subject matter.

105mm f2.4 - Pentax 6x7 adapted lens, mainly used for portraits and the way it renders the image, which can be a love it or hate it affair.. I don't really like the way the bokeh looks TBH.

120mm f/4 Macro - sharp, but heavy and slow... you can feel the lens recoil as it autofocuses. It's great when shooting on a tripod, but I feel the 150mm is much better for hand held use.

150mm f/2.8 - awesome portrait lens, it starts off slightly soft but sharpens up tremendously by f/5.6, and f/8~11 it's easily as good as the macro. Focus is super fast, and the lens is fairly small and light.

All of these lenses feature green/magenta LoCA around high contrast areas, which is a worrying pattern I see with the Pentax glass. Maybe the 90, 28-45 and 25 are better corrected for digital sensors, but as it is you'll have to do a lot of CA correcting in Lightroom.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Joe

I now realize I saw this excellent lens test results. I was hoping for a follow-up with the newer 645 lenses which are of the sealed variety like the 25, 28-45. 55 and 90 macro.

Also I just wonder if many of the original comments by D&A back in 2012 still apply when using the 645Z or there is now room to fine tune comment based on 645Z usage.
    Lou, you may not have aeen my comments a few posts above regarding my testing of all the newer Pentax lenses. In addition I tested almost the whole range of Pentax 645 af lenses both old and new on a loaner 645z. There were far fewer samples of most lenses tested with the 645z than with the original test with 645D but results were essentially the same so I would feel confident on the original part I testing if applied to the 645z. I just wish enough time would open up for me to write another comprehensice report. I moved not all that long ago and still have a household to unpack. I keep finding a treasure trove of photo related items I never knew I had. Even came across my wonderful Bessler enlarger mounted on high school AV cart so I can make any room into a messy darkroom again. What fun!...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Here's my take on the lenses I've used.

55mm f/2.8 - pretty good lens overall, but the far corners are soft, even at f11. Everyone should have this lens, it's usable for just about any subject matter.

105mm f2.4 - Pentax 6x7 adapted lens, mainly used for portraits and the way it renders the image, which can be a love it or hate it affair.. I don't really like the way the bokeh looks TBH.

120mm f/4 Macro - sharp, but heavy and slow... you can feel the lens recoil as it autofocuses. It's great when shooting on a tripod, but I feel the 150mm is much better for hand held use.

150mm f/2.8 - awesome portrait lens, it starts off slightly soft but sharpens up tremendously by f/5.6, and f/8~11 it's easily as good as the macro. Focus is super fast, and the lens is fairly small and light.

All of these lenses feature green/magenta LoCA around high contrast areas, which is a worrying pattern I see with the Pentax glass. Maybe the 90, 28-45 and 25 are better corrected for digital sensors, but as it is you'll have to do a lot of CA correcting in Lightroom.
    Spot on regatding your findings with the 55, 120 macro and 150 (what I like to also refer to as a portrait lens). Even though it sharpens up dramatically when stopped down, it drawers a delicate image, almost pastel like which is also lovely for certain landscapes. Dramtaically different than the 120 macro.

By the way, the macro as expected is optomized for closer range subjects and when compared to the best out there, is a bit soft on the sides and corners when shot at infinity, especially when thiese areas of the frame are compared against the center portion.

One last thing. The 25mm, both older and newer versions often suffer from quite high levels of LoCA..although some differences between the two in this regard exists. Depends on subject and lighting of course.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 18th May 2015 at 16:19.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the A 120 macro, tack sharp at infinity. I have a 44" x 120" landscape print from my 120mm that was shot at f/8 that is beautiful. It is the sharpest lens I know of for the 645D/Z. Being optimized for close focus does not follow that a lens is not excellent at infinity. It is more true the other way around.

The 120 mm is also really great wide open. I have posted a number of images here with the 120 at f /4. The lens is amazingly crisp at the focal plane and beautifully diffuse away from it. I use the 120 very often handheld and never had a problem.
    Last edited by Shashin; 18th May 2015 at 17:49.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Will,

I know it wasn't intentional but my previous words about the 120 macro (specifically the FA version), were a bit taken out of context. I've always written that the lens is the sharpest lens of all the original legacy Pentax 645 FA lenses. No question about it. I also know for a favt that it is optomized for close focusing range as.most dedicated 1:1 macro lenses are.but that doesn't mean they aren't sharp at infinity (which the 120 is), but if there is a foxusing distance where a bit has to give with that lens, its at infinity in all samples I tested. I

I had poster size prints for a client made with that lens of a shot taken of a subject near infinity and it was sharp edge to edge and I also believe it was taken around f8 or f9.5. Yet as I specifically stated in my post above, I said it given up a bit at the edges and xorners at infinity when compared with the best and it does. I did a two day head to head with it against the Leica S 120 macro which only goes down to 1:2 and found out aftet a letter to Germany, that the Leica S 120 macro is optomized for a distance of approx 15 feet.

When I compared both lenses simultaniously on their respective bodies at three different distances, they resolved virtually the same at close range and also at a distance of approx 25 feet. Yet at infinity, one could readily see the somewhat but definite superiority of the Leica in the central portion of the frame (at infinity) and there was no contest if comparing sharpness away from central portion of the frame. Leica won hands down regardless of f stop.

When looking at the Pentax image alone, the infinity images look sharp edge to edge but only when the Leica is added to the comparison, is the relative weakness of the Pentax at infinity seen. The key word is relative. I stand by that days testing as it was done not only for myself but also in a more comprehesive shooting comparision and ultimately prints that were requested during introduction of a particular Leica S body.

In any case we both can agree that the Pentax 120 macro is certainly one of the finest of thr Pentax 645 lenses.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 18th May 2015 at 19:12.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi Will,

I know it wasn't intentional but my previous words about the 120 macro (specifically the FA version), were a bit taken out of context. I've always written that the lens is the sharpest lens of all the original legacy Pentax 645 FA lenses. No question about it. I also know for a favt that it is optomized for close focusing range as.most dedicated 1:1 macro lenses are.but that doesn't mean they aren't sharp at infinity (which the 120 is), but if there is a foxusing distance where a bit has to give with that lens, its at infinity in all samples I tested. I

I had poster size prints for a client made with that lens of a shot taken of a subject near infinity and it was sharp edge to edge and I also believe it was taken around f8 or f9.5. Yet as I specifically stated in my post above, I said it given up a bit at the edges and xorners at infinity when compared with the best and it does. I did a two day head to head with it against the Leica S 120 macro which only goes down to 1:2 and found out aftet a letter to Germany, that the Leica S 120 macro is optomized for a distance of approx 15 feet.

When I compared both lenses simultaniously on their respective bodies at three different distances, they resolved virtually the same at close range and also at a distance of approx 25 feet. Yet at infinity, one could readily see the somewhat but definite superiority of the Leica in the central portion of the frame (at infinity) and there was no contest if comparing sharpness away from central portion of the frame. Leica won hands down regardless of f stop.

When looking at the Pentax image alone, the infinity images look sharp edge to edge but only when the Leica is added to the comparison, is the relative weakness of the Pentax at infinity seen. The key word is relative. I stand by that days testing as it was done not only for myself but also in a more comprehesive shooting comparision and ultimately prints that were requested during introduction of a particular Leica S body.

In any case we both can agree that the Pentax 120 macro is certainly one of the finest Pentax 645 lenses.

Dave (D&A)
    Dang, you mean my $300 A 120mm Macro was beaten out by some $6,400 German knock off.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Dang, you mean my $300 A 120mm Macro was beaten out by some $6,400 German knock off.
    I'm afraid so Will but so was my FA 120 lens . I think we need to grab a good glass of beer and drown our misfortune....LOL.

I actually never really took notice of the relative and slightly lower performance at infinity with the Pentax 120 (especially in the outer zones of the image) until that days comparison.

Dave (D&A)