The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645Z Going wild!

Pradeep

Apologies for the title, thought it would catch your attention ;)

I know Andy Biggs is perhaps one of a handful of pros who uses MF for his wildlife imaging. He uses the Phase 645 DF+ and the IQ250 with a variety of lenses, the 645Z is equally good if not better (same sensor as the IQ250) but the choice of lenses is obviously different.

In just over a week I will be leaving for South Africa for a ten day wildlife photo workshop. I will of course be taking my 1DX with a few 35mm lenses and a 7D2 as backup for it. I am also planning to take the Z with me and this will be the first 'outing' of this sort with the big boy. The A7R will come along for the ride as 'mini me' for the Pentax. Ambitious, I know, but hey, what's life without some indulgence?

There is always a weight and size restriction on these trips, not so much for flying since we are driving to each location within SA, but mainly for my back and shoulders! Plus the hassle of fiddling about with various bodies and lenses and keeping it all within reach in a vehicle that is bouncing along the rugged roads. Fortunately there will be just 3 of us in each vehicle so space around me will not be a huge problem.

We will be traveling to 'Tiger Canyon', a private reserve for Bengal tigers, and Londolozzi, in Sabi Sands. Both places are quite different from the vast plains and vistas of the Mara in Kenya or Tanzania. The animals are much closer though often partially obscured by the bush.

I have now acquired six lenses for the Pentax, and couldn't be happier with all of them, they serve different needs and are surprisingly light even when compared to my Canon glass.

However, I'd rather not lug everything and the kitchen sink to Africa if you get my drift.

So my questions to folks here are:

1.Has anybody used MF for wildlife photography, and if so, what is the experience like? I know the pitfalls related to slow AF, frame rate, shallow DOF, poor low-light performance etc, but the Pentax is more like a 35mm DSLR as I am realizing so I can live with these (plus the ISO invariance of the Pentax means its DR is better than the 1DX).

2. What sort of focal lengths would work? From my past experience, most of the images in these type of locations ask for focal lengths less than 600mm - in fact I am banking on that and therefore taking my 100-400L MkII as the longest lens. Also, I am increasingly becoming a 'habitat' rather than a 'portrait' photographer when it comes to wildlife. BTW, there is very little opportunity to photograph birds in either location.

The current Pentax lenses I own are the 45-85 FA, 55 DFA, 75 FA, 120 FA macro, 150 FA and 300 FA.

I am planning to take the 55 DFA (since it seems to be the sharpest), the 120 and the 300. I may throw the 75 in the bag since it seems to weight next to nothing.

I think I know the answers to my own questions, but would love to hear from anybody else who has traveled down this particular road.

Pradeep

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You may already know this, but Nick Brandt uses a Pentax 67 with 3 lenses 55, 105 and 200mm for his wildlife photography. Using the 67, he obviously also uses film. Or at least, that was what he used when this interview was made:

http://www.nickbrandt.com/UserImages/11/11129/file/Professional_Photographer_Jul_06(1).pdf

Nick Brandt : Photography

Personally, I don't have any experience with this. However, I have reduced my own kit to 4 lenses for all my photography: 21, 28, 50 and 105mm (35mm sensor). I might add one longer lens later, but I've found that minimizing my gear improves my photography, the experience as well as the images. I suppose I would have brought something really long for wildlife, but only one kind of body.

Steve Hendrix

You may already know this, but Nick Brandt uses a Pentax 67 with 3 lenses 55, 105 and 200mm for his wildlife photography. Using the 67, he obviously also uses film. Or at least, that was what he used when this interview was made:

http://www.nickbrandt.com/UserImages/11/11129/file/Professional_Photographer_Jul_06(1).pdf

Personally, I don't have any experience with this. However, I have reduced my own kit to 4 lenses for all my photography: 21, 28, 50 and 105mm (35mm sensor). I might add one longer lens later, but I've found that minimizing my gear improves my photography, the experience as well as the images. I suppose I would have brought something really long for wildlife, but only one kind of body.

Nick no longer uses Pentax.

Steve Hendrix
CI

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I have seen this on the 27 workshops I have been a instructor on. It's really simple to much freaking gear. It truly gets in the way for most people. Classic should I grab this one or should I use this one or let's spend 20 minutes in the field deciding which apertures/ shutter yada yada yada. Stop the madness . Take your MF and a back up 35mm with a long lens and a mid tele. I can't tell you how all that gear will get in the way and you most likely will miss some great stuff. I can't tell you how much I am out gunned by the attendees when it comes to gear. I never come home empty handed.
Just a thought

tsjanik

Pradeep:

I'm not a wildlife photographer, but I sometimes shoot birds since they are prevalent where I live and I enjoy the images. I would suggest you take a 400mm FA for the Pentax. It's not heavy, has good AF and is overall an excellent lens. I list below a few shots taken with the 645D, a much more limited camera than the Z. The hummingbird shot used AF on the 400mm, the eagle and bird in flight used the manual focus 600mm with the 1.4x. The 600 might be a bit too large for your trip, but the 400mm should be a definite.

Tom

20120818_1515 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP1004 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP0783 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Paul2660

Take the MF gear and a micro 4/3's or APS-C camera as the backup. The 35mm gear will weigh as much or more.

I always carry a Fuji XT-1 and 1 lens in the field when I am working with the Tech camera as I know there will be shots I want that I am just to tired to old to get the tech into position to work with. On trips I am really pushed for weight I only carry a Canon S95, shirt pocket.

Also if I had a 35mm, A7r or Nikon D810, I would probably not work with the tech camera since I often find the results can be pretty close. (just me no flames) and the 35mm is a lot easier to work with.

Paul

rollei8is

I have travelled twice to Kenya on Safari, three to a vehicle. On both occasions
I traveled with Hasselblad H3D-31 with a 300mm, 210mm with 1.7X converter.
I made over 2000 exposures with this system. I have prints 40X60 made from them. Do't leave them behind. I also had a Canon system with me.(BACK UP).
Best.
OP

JohnBrew

I w as at a workshop with Andy Biggs in Utah last month. He had an ALPA STC w/IQ280 & three lenses. I believe his long lens was a 240.

Forgive me, this is a bit OT: Some of you know I am wrestling with switching over to MFDB from my D810. It doesn't matter which route I go, I'll only be taking two lenses out in the field from now on. The Utah workshop convinced me that all that gear weighed me down in more ways than one. And yes, I'd go longer than shorter.

Last edited:
Unless you intend to shoot macro, I'd take the 150mm over the 120mm, as the optics perform essentially the same between f5.6 and f/11, but it focuses faster and weighs less than the macro.

Don Libby

Speaking from the experience of using a Phase DF and both an IQ160 and now a IQ180 in Jackson Hole I'd recommend long lens. I've shot with an older Mamiya 300 and got great shots to the point that it made me think of the 240LS both with and without the 2x. I found shooting the 300 and 240 can be done handheld "most of the time" however using the 2x on the 240 required a steady setup. The good thing is that I can also use the 2x on my 150. So, if I were in your boots I'd be taking my 150 and 240 as well as the 2x while making certain that I also have a very sturdy pod to use.

Looks like you have a great trip planned and figure it this way - it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. So if in doubt, take it....

Don

tsjanik

Pradeep:

One more lens suggestion: 150-300mm f/5.6 zoom. This lens is fairly new to me, but I'm very happy with it. I tested it vs. the 150mm A and FA, the 200mm A and FA and the 67 300mm M* and don't feel I'm losing anything with the zoom except speed.

Tom

e.g.:

_IGP4555 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP3835 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Shashin

If you have the Pentax 300mm f/4, just add the 1.4x teleconverter, which gives you a 420mm f/5.6. The TC is about the same size and weight as the 75mm lens. Oddly enough, I always use manual focus for wildlife as I find it quicker--yes AF can be quicker, if it focuses of what you want. I find the size of the 645 focusing screen to be large enough to manually focus accurately.

From your lens list, I agree and would take the 55mm DFA, 120mm macro, and 300mm. But I like primes, I might swap the 55mm for the 45-85mm zoom, but I have never used that lens. On a trip like this, I would not "throw" in a lens because it is light--it might be, but when you pack that way, the ounces add up fast. I would be very lean in my gear. Gear can sap energy and not actually guarantee results. You will never have the wrong lens, but you might take the "wrong" picture...

iiiNelson

Wen on a safari last summer and I can say for certain that your normals and short telephotos become your wides in Africa. So I agree take the longest lenses you own. I had my 180/2.8 bolted on my A7rand swapped lenses between 55-135 on my A7. At times I wished I had a longer Len and a 150-600 would be ideal. I agree with those that tell you to take the longer stuff or back up the MF with a DSLR with a long telephoto zoom.

Pradeep

I am a huge fan his work and a supporter of his Big Life foundation but I think he is in a class by himself and does a lot more work with his images to reach the final version.

Yes, I agree, sometimes less is more.....

Hey guys, just chiming in late to the party, as I was on a tiger safari in India.

I shoot with a DF+, IQ250 and a handful of lenses (28mm, 45mm, 75-150mm and 240mm). When I am on a wildlife safari in Africa, I usually only bring my 240mm lens and a 2x teleconverter. Since I have been running safaris for almost 15 years, I am ok if I miss certain types of 'I was here' shots and go for those types of images that tell stories about where I am and what the environment is like. And, depending on my location, I may be driving a vehicle on top of teaching and shooting. On an 8 night safari, I may come up with a whopping 250 shots and only 1 or 2 are what I end up liking, but that's still a great catch in my world. In 2015 I have taken this setup to Botswana with me and I think I came home with 4 or 5 images in 8 days.

With all of this being said if it was my first safari I would want to augment this MF gear with a nice 35mm kit for all of those types of shots where MF equipment isn't a good fit (long focal lengths, high frames per second, fast action, etc).

Enjoy your trip!!

Pradeep

Unless you intend to shoot macro, I'd take the 150mm over the 120mm, as the optics perform essentially the same between f5.6 and f/11, but it focuses faster and weighs less than the macro.
You are correct and that is what I might do. The 120 is a bit sharper wide open but stopped down they are equally good.

Pradeep

Pradeep:

One more lens suggestion: 150-300mm f/5.6 zoom. This lens is fairly new to me, but I'm very happy with it. I tested it vs. the 150mm A and FA, the 200mm A and FA and the 67 300mm M* and don't feel I'm losing anything with the zoom except speed.

Tom

e.g.:
Tom, your images are beautiful. I've read mixed reports of the zoom, perhaps when stopped down it matches up to the rest. The convenience is great of course.

As far as the 400 and 600 are concerned, I have more or less given up on long lenses though the Pentax 400 is intriguing, given how sharp it is reported to be and much lighter than expected. The 300 (I have the 5.6) is equally sharp and lighter still, and if I had to choose between the 300 and 400 I would have to go with the shorter lens.

Pradeep

Pradeep

Hey guys, just chiming in late to the party, as I was on a tiger safari in India.

I shoot with a DF+, IQ250 and a handful of lenses (28mm, 45mm, 75-150mm and 240mm). When I am on a wildlife safari in Africa, I usually only bring my 240mm lens and a 2x teleconverter. Since I have been running safaris for almost 15 years, I am ok if I miss certain types of 'I was here' shots and go for those types of images that tell stories about where I am and what the environment is like. And, depending on my location, I may be driving a vehicle on top of teaching and shooting. On an 8 night safari, I may come up with a whopping 250 shots and only 1 or 2 are what I end up liking, but that's still a great catch in my world. In 2015 I have taken this setup to Botswana with me and I think I came home with 4 or 5 images in 8 days.

With all of this being said if it was my first safari I would want to augment this MF gear with a nice 35mm kit for all of those types of shots where MF equipment isn't a good fit (long focal lengths, high frames per second, fast action, etc).

Enjoy your trip!!
Thank you Andy.

Yes, I will be taking my Canon kit with me, but no super teles. I sold my 600 MkII last year and as I said, I am slowly moving towards wider shots of wildlife. I have not quite reached the stage where I am sated with my image collection (don't think anybody ever does) and still need to see and record everything. This will be my fourth trip to Africa and I don't think I will ever get tired of it.

Do you often use the 2X with the 240 LS lens? Given the similarities in sensor size between the IQ250 and the 645Z, I think the Pentax 400 may offer the same FOV but I would rather not take another big lens with me.

I love the look of MF and will probably try to shoot as much with it as I can on this trip. I have a tour of Botswana coming up in a year or so and this will be a good test of the Pentax in the wild.

Thanks for pitching in with your experiences, it has been very useful.

Pradeep