The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideal aperture for Schneider Digitar 35mm 5.6 XL?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim no issues here my friend and same with Jack, actually just chatted with him a little bit ago. The Cambo is a sweetie the RS one is nice and small and has nice geared movements and a nice compliment to your back. No one yet seems to have had any real issues with it and some folks here own it and love it. Don comes to mind immediately. Tim also Jack and I do have and tested the Helicon focus software with our Phase Kits . I posted a thread in image processing and damn if it does not work as advertised, cheap price to pay for focus all the way through the image. Do check out that thread , pretty darn interesting and very fast. Really solves some DOF issues and I was using long lenses to boot. Now you still will have to test it like I said sometime the posted 10 ft is not reality ten feet so need to know what truly is ten feet on the scale on the lens. I shot a 47mm and it was dead to nuts on the money and very very nice. The 35mm should be a nice lens on it. I also think you can get a ground glass for it if you want to go that route also. Lot's of info on that on the Calumet site and may want to check out all the parts that you may want or need. Now not slamming Alpa, Arca or Silvestri but at least Calumet products are more universal worldwide and maybe easier to get what you need and such. Anyway good luck and let's hope this all works out in the end. i am actually glad you kept the Phase back since I really believe in those backs and the software myself, more importantly they produce nice files.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
this one is the one I have worked with

Cambo Wide RS Body WRS-1000

Calumet # CB0579
Mfg. Part # 99162100
Ships Same Day
$2,799.99
QTY

View Larger More Images
Product Features
he Wide RS body is for those photographers looking for something more compact than the Wide DS, but still in need of the image-placement shift movements.

This exciting addition to the Cambo Wide family features both lateral and vertical shift movements of the rear standard, hence the name RS. The movements are driven by accellerated spindle gears, these precision-geared controls provide architectural photographers with many of the image-placement movements they require, while giving digital photographers the ability to create amazing vertical and horizontal panoramic images through stitching several exposures together.

Like the other Cambo Wide models, the RS features interchangeable interfaces for Hasselblad, Leaf, Phase One and Sinar digital backs. Mounts are available for Hasselblad V, Hasselblad-H, Mamiya 645AFD and Contax 645AF compatible camerabacks. A new interface plate hosting the Leaf AFi and Sinar HY6 backs is also available.

In order to accomplish nearly any architectural or landscape assignment, the Wide RS accepts the full range of WDS lens panels that incorporate the Schneider Digitar and Rodenstock Digital lenses. Choose from focal lengths ranging from 24mm up to 120mm.

The Wide RS body weighs just 1.2 kg (2.6 lbs.) and is as compact as 155mm (6.1") x 165mm (6.5"). It comes with a double aluminium handgrip for steady shooting, and built-in spirit levels for fast and accurate setups. The removable tripod mount is 3/8" thread.

Removing the tripod mount block reduces the height of the camera to only 140mm. A removable cable release is included with the camera and can be placed either through the left or right handgrip by choice for hand-held shooting.

Whether you use it on a tripod or hand-held for more spontaneous shooting, the Wide RS camera will open up new photographic possibilities for you.

Features:

Small size 155 x 165mm (W x H) incl. handgrips and tripod mount
Lightweight only 1.2 kgs (excl. lens)
Horizontal shift 40 mm (20 mm left/20 mm right)
Vertical shift 40 mm (25mm / 15mm)
Stitching possibilities (2-way / 4-way)
Milimeter scales for movements
Movement indicators on rear sides
Compatible with WDS and Wide Compact
2 integrated handgrips for steady holding
Removable cable release included
Removable 3/8" tripod mount (25 mm)
4 spirit levels visible from top or bottom
Accessory shoe for viewfinder included
Additional LED light included
Optional Viewfinder
Optional Wooden handgrips
Broad range of optics
Retrofitting of user lenses offered
Compact Softcase included

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Bob:

Maybe I am missing something... While I think perhaps there has been some fun made of Tim's situation, I don't feel it has been disrespectful. In contrast, I think we're all feeling his pain and have been pretty caring and concerned, and the laughing with him (as opposed to at him) is our way of helping him get through it with his chin up.

~~~

Jack and Guy,

You are completely correct in your assessment. I was wrong for being overly strident in my depiction of the tone that the threads pertaining to Tim's travails with his MF digital transition had taken. I agree that nothing was disrespectful but only worried that in the aggregate the tone was becoming a bit like some on the less collegial sites. Indeed, no individual post was offensive nor was I directing the comment at any individual.

It is difficult to measure the response to one's posts...unlike when you are sitting around the fire in the evening with a single-malt and sharing jests and the occasional gibe. It occurred to me that the build-up may have been a little over-the-top for Tim...personally, with my thick skin it would not have been a problem.

My most humble apologies to you and Guy for blowing this out of proportion to its true nature. You both have done a great job for keeping your site a very warm enjoyable place to learn and share. I learn daily from the participation which is first rate.

Again, my bad...and my apologies to all.

Bob

Don Libby

Tim

First please allow me a chance to offer you a very public apology for my flippant remarks earlier for that I am truly sorry; it just wasn’t called for.

I am the very proud owner/user of the Cambo RS1000 and in case I don’t get the point across, I think this camera is just great. I only want to address what I know, what I own and use and that’s the RS1000. I had the choice between the WDS and RS and decided on the RS for a couple of simple (at least to me) reasons mainly being that it was designed specifically for digital format and all the movement are on the back not the lens.

I had several serious reservations going to a technical camera mainly among them was getting the critical focus that I demand of my images be they large panoramas or in you face close-ups; I was also a little concerned about shooting without a viewfinder (I had decided to take a wait and see approach before paying several hundred dollars on the viewfinder/masks). I’m very happy to report that the two concerns addressed above are a mute point.

I’ve never in the short time I’ve had this kit had a focusing issue (meaning no loss frames due to out of focusing). I have also soon learned that I can visualize the image in my head and in very rare cases not picked up what I wanted to capture because of a lack of viewfinder (I hope that makes sense).

This isn’t to say that there haven’t been hiccups along the way. Two major problems that I’m working on and almost have conquered are remember to remove the lens cap which is happening less and less and remembering to cock the shutter – nether of which are anything more than an embarrassing nuisance.

I guess what I’m attempting to convey here is that for a landscape kit I really don’t believe you could go wrong with the Cambo RS1000. I currently have a 35 and 72mm lens both of which are excellent and more than capable of giving me stunning results if I do my part correctly.

I’d also like to address the other part of my landscape kit if you’ll allow me. I have the Phase AFD III along with a 28, 75-150 and 300mm lens. Every lens in this kit is capable of producing stunning images.

The final note here is that the one constant in either kit is the digital back which is a Phase One P45+ (I upgraded from a P30+ when I switched to a technical camera).

Once again I don’t mean to offend anyone who is using another camera make I wanted to speak about the Cambo RS1000 from my personal experiences only.

Just a note regarding the feeling of frustration and in some cases helplessness. I decided to switch from using the great Capture Integration 2-shot cable system to the Kapture Group 1-shot. I couldn’t get this to work to save my life! I was on the edge of the ledge and looking for a huge hammer. I not so quick call to Doug Peterson got everything working the way it should. This was part user error on my part and part crappy or not very clear instructions. Either case I went to bed with this hanging over my head and didn’t get it cleared up till the following morning. All this just happened within the past 18 hours. Going through this made me a hell of a lot more aware of what you’ve been going through.
I really hadn’t intended on writing a book however I wanted to get these points across.

I wish you nothing but great success in finding the system that’ll work best for you and if I can be of any assistance please let me know.

don

I was writing this as Docmore was adding his thoughts and have decided not to change a thing.

carstenw

I also really can take a joke at my own expense (you should see what I look like!)
Photos please! :)

Seriously, Tim, please don't take the Cambo home until you have at least one sharp shot taken at the dealer's :) You've got a track-record, as you say.

Sad that the Silvestri had to go. Sad that you didn't give them a chance to get it right, but you are right, life is short, and in the context of this thread, your life seems shorter than that of most...

Am I reading your post wrong, or did you say that you are getting the Cambo Wide DS, yet everyone is commenting on the RS? Have you considered the RS?

Presumably this is the one: http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item504.html

tashley

Subscriber Member
Photos please! :)

Seriously, Tim, please don't take the Cambo home until you have at least one sharp shot taken at the dealer's :) You've got a track-record, as you say.

Sad that the Silvestri had to go. Sad that you didn't give them a chance to get it right, but you are right, life is short, and in the context of this thread, your life seems shorter than that of most...

Am I reading your post wrong, or did you say that you are getting the Cambo Wide DS, yet everyone is commenting on the RS? Have you considered the RS?

Presumably this is the one: http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item504.html
You read correctly Carsten... it's the DS I'm getting. For various complex reasons my dealer and Phase between them are able to offer me a WDS with 35XL for around the price of the lens unit alone... seems very acceptable! The DS seems to have worked for plenty of people and though it's a bit heavier and larger, it still gets a good rap. Also, though the vertical movements are on the front, the horizontal ones are on the rear so stitching should be good. And since the system is so well-priced I can then upgrade later to an RS system if I choose...

BTW, a more demotic way of expressing 'you've got a track record' is to say 'you've got previous' which is short for 'previous convictions'. Quite fitting, eh?
:D

jonoslack

Tim,
Next time I buy a car, I will take you along and have you select one.
I will then buy another.
Where can this man go to get treatment for this? The pyramids obviously did not help.
-bob
I can vouch for Tim's car buying skills - I bought his last unwanted car off him, and have been enjoying it for the last year (25,000 miles).

The only problem I've found with it is that if you reverse it into Dutch white van man . . . it makes a mark on the bumper!

On the other hand, he bought my old Saab off me . . . I hope it's still working!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Oh Dear
not the old black one I hope?
Worry not Jono, that Saab has turned out to be the vehicular equivalent of a second-hand Hartblei... and you know what? It may not have any noticeable steering but I swear that it's faster than the Porsche. Which makes it very exciting in snow!

;-)

t

jonoslack

Worry not Jono, that Saab has turned out to be the vehicular equivalent of a second-hand Hartblei... and you know what? It may not have any noticeable steering but I swear that it's faster than the Porsche. Which makes it very exciting in snow!

;-)

t
Oh! I do agree that it's faster - especially from 30mph onward . . . .but I suspect that the porsche is quite as exciting in the snow :ROTFL:
It has the added excitement that at less than -5C, the windows only go down (and not up). It's bracing :)

I'm sorry about your travails, I know nothing about MF. But I do know that your testing is meticulous

tashley

Subscriber Member
It has the added excitement that at less than -5C, the windows only go down (and not up). It's bracing :)
Blimey, it must be! I only ever took it out on nice days but the Saab has to fill in for the temperamental A4 quite often

I'm sorry about your travails, I know nothing about MF. But I do know that your testing is meticulous
Thanks Jono... I needed that :)