The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P30+ Pricing Help

jars121

G'day everyone,

I hope this isn't breaking any rules, and if it is, please remove this thread :)

I found this thread which was asking for similar help, so figured it was more or less okay to follow suit.

I have an H mount P30+ which is looking for a new home. The sensor is immaculate, and the back performs perfectly. One caveat to this is that the glass on the back of the unit was cracked, and has since been removed. I have had replacement glass professionally cut, but haven't yet installed it.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Note: the broken glass (pictured above) has now been removed and cleaned in preparation for the replacement glass to be installed.

I've done as much research on P30+ backs as possible, but the rarity and volatility of the market has made determining a suitable price quite challenging.

If a good condition H-mount P30+ can sell in the $4,500 - $5,000 range, what do you think this one would be worth?

Many thanks!

I'm afraid we're out of luck, Jars :-/ I'm listing my in-good-shape Mamiya type P30+ kit on a few sites and it looks like buyers are few and far between, so we might need to be extremely patient. As was pointed out to me in my P30+ pricing info thread, now that dSLR's have gotten more megapixels, the market for our old sub 50MP backs has diminished. I've lowered my P30+ to around or under $4K worth in my package deal, but I'm afraid I'll have to get even lower if I want to sell quickly. So it's not really a question of "fair worth" anymore, it's more of a question about luck & demand.

ChrisLivsey

A P30+ sold UK last week as a kit with H2 body & 80mm lens & lots of batteries chargers leads & bits for $3800.

A plain P30 for $2250 H fit.

With the new announcement of no back compatibility to either P or P+ for the new Phase body the market may experience more offerings with a consequent further fall in selling prices.

A P30+ sold UK last week as a kit with H2 body & 80mm lens & lots of batteries chargers leads & bits for $3800.
Wow! That's an incredible price! I'm not sure if it's fair to go that low though, I mean the new stuff costs $40k to begin with, and the first IQ backs are still close to the $20k used aren't they? So $4k for a back or $6k for a kit with body and lens shouldn't be that outrageous should it? The problem is just how few are in the market for digital medium format in general :-/

jars121

I'm afraid we're out of luck, Jars :-/ I'm listing my in-good-shape Mamiya type P30+ kit on a few sites and it looks like buyers are few and far between, so we might need to be extremely patient. As was pointed out to me in my P30+ pricing info thread, now that dSLR's have gotten more megapixels, the market for our old sub 50MP backs has diminished. I've lowered my P30+ to around or under $4K worth in my package deal, but I'm afraid I'll have to get even lower if I want to sell quickly. So it's not really a question of "fair worth" anymore, it's more of a question about luck & demand.
I totally understand; it's quite frustrating isn't it! I just wish my P30+ was in any mount other than H, as none of my current or planned camera platforms can use an H mount easily.

A plain P30 for $2250 H fit.

With the new announcement of no back compatibility to either P or P+ for the new Phase body the market may experience more offerings with a consequent further fall in selling prices.
Thanks for that Chris. Given that a P30 H mount went for $2250, would $2700 be reasonable for a P30+ with the aforementioned removed glass? I've got the original box, charger and battery with it too.

ChrisLivsey

Thanks for that Chris. Given that a P30 H mount went for $2250, would $2700 be reasonable for a P30+ with the aforementioned removed glass? I've got the original box, charger and battery with it too.
That low price was partly because the body had approaching 100,00 activations, a danger point for replacements, and the back, I know no moving parts etc, was at 124,000 plus. Plus the seller did not answer my reasonable question, just as routine to test validity of the sale as I was interested until I found out the activation counts so he lost me and perhaps others idf he was non communicative so it went to one bid only on the auction site. I should have pointed that out for both those here as sellers.

Given that the repair on the glass on your back would carry no warranty I would think buyers would be very cautious and I would be tempted to have Phase quote a repair price at least. You can only test the market, nearly every one sold is unique in some way, low count, high count, damaged case, mint, lots of accessories or none and so few relatively come up an average is meaningless.
My feeling is the greater the crop the less the value and being a plus + back adds value, but often not a great deal. The market is stronger for V fit, there are more bodies out there than H and they are more likely to be amateurs now. Not many pros will look at a used low MP H mount back given the A7R/810 and predicted higher count cameras, they will not have the glass which is still not cheap. Classic V glass has really held its price so there must be a market and again there were plenty made.
It's no use looking back, no pun, on what the new price was it is what the market will pay now. The new gear will mostly go to pros setting it against tax and writing it down claiming back the tax on the purchase price, it's probably not even their largest annual expense. Used, the market collapses and the price point of the Pentax Z has not helped.
I see the same cameras/backs on sale now as at Christmas they will never sell at the prices asked.
The trade in against new is what to look at, that should be the bottom selling price so someone could buy and use as a trade in and be on the right side.
That H buyer can probably sell the back and lens dumping the body and be on the right side, it had a film back as well for the price and they have a market, it was deal.

FYI:
Hasselblad H2 PhaseOne P30+ Complete Digital Kit | eBay

ChrisLivsey

Gentlemen, any news on the sales?
Prices are still sliding here, I have just bought a H mount P45+ for £2,249 = $3,500, from a dealer (not a Phase One dealer) with warranty but highish count, 400K. Some deals are unmissable. (Charger batteries cables etc all included)
The opaqueness of UK dealers means I can't just check the trade in value against an IQ but I suspect I am covered should I choose to "upgrade".

Ken_R

Gentlemen, any news on the sales?
Prices are still sliding here, I have just bought a H mount P45+ for £2,249 = $3,500, from a dealer (not a Phase One dealer) with warranty but highish count, 400K. Some deals are unmissable. (Charger batteries cables etc all included)
The opaqueness of UK dealers means I can't just check the trade in value against an IQ but I suspect I am covered should I choose to "upgrade".
You seem to be the only one in the world getting Phase backs at such low prices maybe you should put up an ebay store and sell them for profit.

ChrisLivsey

You seem to be the only one in the world getting Phase backs at such low prices maybe you should put up an ebay store and sell them for profit.
Actually the only previous back I bought was a V fit P20 I still shoot with, this my second, that alone may be a record here;)
Having made this purchase I have now cancelled all my saved searches so no shop on e-bay for me :ROTFL: and I can spend some time shooting. Persistence pays off, this dealer is always competitive in pricing and the back went on between 11pm and 8am when I looked. All the other low prices have been snapped up by others, similarly persistant no doubt. Those I mentioned in earlier posts from Christmas are indeed still sitting there still!