The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M

coisasdavida

Sorry to drop in this thread, but I just got myself a DCS Pro Back. Not a Plus, BTW.
Is it true that it should have been accompanied by a 555 ELD Hasselblad?
So it wont work on a 500C/M anyway?

Is there a place where I can download the manual from?
Thanks!

ondebanks

Sorry to drop in this thread, but I just got myself a DCS Pro Back. Not a Plus, BTW.
Is it true that it should have been accompanied by a 555 ELD Hasselblad?
So it wont work on a 500C/M anyway?
You don't have to use a 555 ELD. It will work with all 500 series Hasselblads; and with an appropriate interface accessory, it also works with the Mamiya RZ Pro line, the Fuji GX680 line, Bronicas, large format cameras etc.

Is there a place where I can download the manual from?
Thanks!
Don's link was for the 645 version of the ProBack. As you have the original version, you'll need a different manual.

Down the years since I got a used ProBack 645M in 2010, I've kept copies of all the Kodak ProBack materials I found on the web.
In this link, I have bundled up 5 PDF files from Kodak on the non-645 ProBacks - including the user manual, user quick-reference, and brochure/specifications.

Have fun! I still shoot sometimes with my Proback 645M. Did some IR landscapes with it last weekend, in fact.

Ray

coisasdavida

Don and Ray,
Thanks, but neither PDFs describe my back, which is probably the first one ever.
I was able to find DCS Capture Studio from the japanese website, haven't installed yet, if it is in english, I'll give it try.

ondebanks

Don and Ray,
Thanks, but neither PDFs describe my back, which is probably the first one ever.
Yes, but there is virtually no difference between the ProBack and ProBack Plus. So the ProBack Plus manual I supplied should be fine. OTOH, the ProBack 645 line was distinctly different.

I was able to find DCS Capture Studio from the japanese website, haven't installed yet, if it is in english, I'll give it try.
See here as well, for software and firmware:
http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/DCS/dcsRegister/downloadIndex.jhtml?dcsFwSelector=captureStudio

Ray

coisasdavida

Yes, but there is virtually no difference between the ProBack and ProBack Plus. So the ProBack Plus manual I supplied should be fine. OTOH, the ProBack 645 line was distinctly different.
See here as well, for software and firmware:
http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/DCS/dcsRegister/downloadIndex.jhtml?dcsFwSelector=captureStudio
Ray
The Plus will work on almost any camera. The non-Plus relies on either the electronics of a RZ67 or a 555ELD Hasselblad. If I follow the usage outlined on this PDF you sent, I get the Sync Stuck or Film Release Used warning and the back freezes. Check this release out, the first paragraphs are all about this difference: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7806359169/kodakprobackplus

I'm looking to find if there is a way to hack into this.

The link you sent is there, but all download links lead to a 404 page :banghead:, Kodak Japan is the only site right now that still serves the actual file.

coisasdavida

The link you sent is there, but all download links lead to a 404 page :banghead:, Kodak Japan is the only site right now that still serves the actual file.
Kodak Canada also points to the same file hosted on the Global website and also hits a 404
Japan hosts its own files, I guess.