Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

Quote Originally Posted by satybhat View Post
    Would Upgrades be available from 280 to 380?
    This is a "cross grade." Historically Phase One did not offer any official crossgrades, and this was met with derision by the market. They have listened to that feedback and are providing crossgrades to the IQ3 until the end of August. Contact your local dealer for pricing and particulars.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JRBERNSTEIN View Post
    What are the differences in functionality between the IQ1, IQ2, and IQ3 backs on the XF body?

Phase keeps saying Credo back will have the same functionality and support as IQ1 backs, which implies some reduced functionally. Would that reduced functionality extend beyond WiFi related features?

I'm happy with my IQ180 and am OK without WiFi, but I hope I can take advantage of all the other aspects of the new XF body.
    Go to our IQ3 page. Select IQ1 vs IQ3 features.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

There are three kinds of possible customers to any maker that makes a modular system...
    1. Those that are approachιng the system as a complete offering.
    2. Those that are interested to invest on the maker's camera body and (as a consequence) lenses.
    3. Those that are interested to invest on the maker's digital (image area) offerings only and consider to adapt them on their existing cameras...

I believe that there is good information for 1&3 above... But none on 2... Soooo, Lets suppose that one wants to buy a Sinarback 86H and considers to adapt it on an XF body.... (Sinar makes adapter plates that mechanically are compatible with m645) ...can he do so? Will his back work? Will he be able to have multishot captures on an XF? ...or is H5X the only (6x4.5) platform in current production that he can use? (I've asked the same on another forum from yesterday, but no luck for an answer yet....)

Post Thanks / Like

Not interested (Re: Phase One News)

The new Phase One XF body appears to be a nice camera and a welcome upgrade on the old Mamiya-based bodies. However, as an Hasselblad H user, I don't see any particular feature that would compel me to change.

Is there any comparison of the XF camera with, say, the H5X feature by feature? All I could see from a quick read is that the XF can meter with the waist-level finder (the H5 cannot) and includes a built-in transmitter for Profoto strobes. And, of course, that it has a focal plane shutter, as the 645D had.

I may have missed a few points, though. Please correct me if I did. Is there a comparison list somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Go to our IQ3 page. Select IQ1 vs IQ3 features.
    It seems there are many features of the IQ3 that are software based, which we don't have in the IQ1. (Auto ISO, Exposure Zone, Clip Warning, etc..).

Are there plans for any of these features to be added to the IQ1 as future software upgrades?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhern213 View Post
    It seems there are many features of the IQ3 that are software based, which we don't have in the IQ1. (Auto ISO, Exposure Zone, Clip Warning, etc..).

Are there plans for any of these features to be added to the IQ1 as future software upgrades?
    It seems to me that P1's decision is one of "closing" the system (much like Hasselblad did in the past) although not to the same extend since "in company" backs are (to some extend) interchangeable. From that POV, I think that there will be a tendency to differentiate the features offered between different backs, so that there is "pressure" on customers to upgrade...

I believe that P-series backs have been left out of compatibility with the XF on purpose, so that third party backs (which would work on any body that a P-series back would work) would also be excluded.

IMO, that is a dangerous decision for P1... The market has shown in the past (as happened with Hasselblad) not to like closed systems. It seems that a good part of photographers, (especially those that are used to have the "freedom of choice" for the type of film they would use) don't like being "trapped" within a maker's choice future path for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, I think it's a strange decision to "lock out" the older P backs. Doesn't seem either logical or warrented to me, especially considering the open system rhetoric. It's the same mount, after all, as the IQ backs and they were still selling new not that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dascalos View Post
    It seems to me that P1's decision is one of "closing" the system (much like Hasselblad did in the past) although not to the same extend since "in company" backs are (to some extend) interchangeable. From that POV, I think that there will be a tendency to differentiate the features offered between different backs, so that there is "pressure" on customers to upgrade...

I believe that P-series backs have been left out of compatibility with the XF on purpose, so that third party backs (which would work on any body that a P-series back would work) would also be excluded.

IMO, that is a dangerous decision for P1... The market has shown in the past (as happened with Hasselblad) not to like closed systems. It seems that a good part of photographers, (especially those that are used to have the "freedom of choice" for the type of film they would use) don't like being "trapped" within a maker's choice future path for them.

Post Thanks / Like

IQ1 series, I can believe that there are limitations on integration with the XF body that may be software based, and IQ1 users should/could possibly enjoy. For example, there were firmware update added features meant for IQ2 only, the same added features were not promised for the IQ1, but they worked the same for many IQ1 owners anyway. There just may be some minor hardware differences in the IQ1 and hence poses difficulties with uniformity of guaranteeing some of those features, hence no promises. (e.g., some IQ1 MFDBs needed minor hardware upgrades for USB3). We'll see. But I don't expect much more integration for my IQ180. Stellar AF performance and a capable body and I'm happy.

I can understand why P+ MFDBs are not brought into the XF fold. Other than sharing MFDB heritage, there was a major change in tech, both hardware and software, going from the P series to the IQ series---plain and simple. There was a lot of criticism leveled at Phase One to leave that old Mamiya body design behind, "give us a real modern body and start anew," yet when the new body arrives, Phase is caught in a catch-22 and criticized for not "holding onto the past" or basically what I see as restricting Phase One to merely offering yet another generational improvement to a very aged design Mamiya body, like a Phase DF II. No thanks.

And maybe that's what Phase needs to do, maintain the DF+ body line, maybe update the DF feature set for generational improvements and offer that body for its P+ backs.

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 6th June 2015 at 07:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Schneider 35mm LS full-res sample files

These were shot with the IQ380, and that is not yet supported in Capture One 8.3 so we can't share the raw files. The sharpening on this TIFF may be a bit heavy handed for some, so shoot us an email and I'll be glad to send you the raws once there is a public version of C1 which can open them.
    It seems that this lens has quite a bit a field curvature: the castle in the middle is sharp, but the houses and trees on the left or right borders less so and the tree leaves which are considerably closer from the camera are in focus.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Agreed, I think it's a strange decision to "lock out" the older P backs. Doesn't seem either logical or warrented to me, especially considering the open system rhetoric. It's the same mount, after all, as the IQ backs and they were still selling new not that long ago.
    It seems that they excluded the P series only to "close the system" from third party backs. The thing is, that there are so many (successful) pros around using Phase back on Hasselblad H body, that they'll turn them against company choices... In addition, that way, they've also excluded the ones that are using multishot backs to enter the system... (since that means that one can't use the XF body)... Not very wise at all... It seems that H5X goes completely the other way around as to offer an "open" camera platform for any back...

OTOH Sinarbacks, (that are currently the standard for fine art multishot work) are left out of P1 support... It won't surprise me if Leica (the owner of Sinar) looks for a new MF platform as to both replace m645 incompatibility or to "bridge" the Sinar series with the S-series... Surely IMO, Leica is the firm to watch... They can either buy Hasselblad, or resurrect Contax (now that they offer the adapters), or make a new camera platform as to bridge the use of Sinarbacks with the S-system (with common lenses)... If they do... I can see P1 in very serious trouble indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, was the price for XF body only announced ? I can't find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Doug, was the price for XF body only announced ? I can't find it.
    Yep, it's a ridiculous (IMO) $8,000. I say that because the body alone costs more the the Pentax 645z with includes the same/similar 50MP Sony sensor in the IQ350. To get that from Phase you've gotta add another $30K+.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read about the Profoto integration, but nothing about full TTL compatibility with the B1 or B2. Any word?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mgreer316 View Post
    Yep, it's a ridiculous (IMO) $8,000. I say that because the body alone costs more the the Pentax 645z with includes the same/similar 50MP Sony sensor in the IQ350. To get that from Phase you've gotta add another $30K+.
    I don't expect many will be buying a body by itself. It is significantly less when bundled with a back, or when upgrading from a DF/DF+. Also you're significantly off on your pricing for a CMOS version.

An XF IQ150 kit with Schneider 80LS lens has a list price of $32,990. Alternatively the IQ140 kit with Schneider 80LS has a list price of $20,990. And upgrade pricing is available from nearly any previous medium format system.

Either way a P1 kit provides several major advantages over the 645Z:
    - a line of 10 modern-design autofocus Schneider leaf shutter lenses with flash sync of 1/1600th*
    - very fast, robust, and professional tethering
    - support in Capture One including their world-class color profiles
    - retina touch screen interface with the best set of image review tools on the market including focus mask, exposure warning, raw-file clipping indicator, zone exposure heat map, draggable guides, and toggle-able black and white review mode
    - automatic perspective and keystone correction
    - advanced body features such as the seismograph mode
    - waist level viewfinder (including spot metering and autofocus)
    - built-in wireless control, review, and editing (IQ2 and IQ3 only) with fast speed and native integration
    - professional support with knowledgable dealers and options to purchase with a 5-year warranty that includes free loaner during any repairs/service.
    - wide network of rental house, digital tech, and assistant availability and knowledge
    - compatibility with view cameras and tech cameras

The 645Z also has some unique advantages like weather sealing. I'm happy to take an XF kit into light or moderate rain but I would not step under a water fall with it or take it into a hurricane. It also has multiple AF points, though they are very close to the center of the frame, limiting their practical utility. Each system has its pros and cons, and the price of entry for the 645Z is clearly a big pro for that system.

*The 240LS syncs at a "measly" 1/1000th.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 6th June 2015 at 12:26.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've read about the Profoto integration, but nothing about full TTL compatibility with the B1 or B2. Any word?
    No current TTL support. But P1 is very interested in feedback on what the most important features and functions are to its clients. So if this is at the top of your list make your voice heard!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep... but You can't split the back to use on your view camera off the Pentax.... so you'll need another 10K for a CFV-50c... and then have two backs which is not convenient is it? ...is it? ...is it?

Post Thanks / Like

No current TTL support. But P1 is very interested in feedback on what the most important features and functions are to its clients. So if this is at the top of your list make your voice heard!
    Definitely. If they had that functionality then I would need to spend the time to meter stuff. What I like about how Profoto has implemented this is that you can shoot TLL, make adjustments, then lock those adjustment and shoot manual. Makes the process much faster.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't expect many will be buying a body by itself. It is significantly less when bundled with a back, or when upgrading from a DF/DF+. Also you're significantly off on your pricing for a CMOS version.
    Is there an upgrade path from a DF body? I thought it was only from DF+?

I have an IQ260 with a DF body, and the XF definitely looks like an amazing body. But frankly, 8k for it just seems a bit ridiculous.

By curiosity, I read that the only differences between the IQ3 and IQ2 is the ability to share the battery -- is it really all? (i.e. will the firmware upgrade on an IQ2 bring the advanced camera menu, exposure zone tool, for example).

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roanic View Post
    Is there an upgrade path from a DF body? I thought it was only from DF+?

I have an IQ260 with a DF body, and the XF definitely looks like an amazing body. But frankly, 8k for it just seems a bit ridiculous.

By curiosity, I read that the only differences between the IQ3 and IQ2 is the ability to share the battery -- is it really all? (i.e. will the firmware upgrade on an IQ2 bring the advanced camera menu, exposure zone tool, for example).
    But having only one battery is really important.... if one fails you don't have to check twice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Share the battery" is misleading. The camera and back use the same type of battery, and if the back's battery -- for example -- is low, the back can draw power from the camera's battery.

But the camera will not function with only one battery in place.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "Share the battery" is misleading. The camera and back use the same type of battery, and if the back's battery -- for example -- is low, the back can draw power from the camera's battery.

But the camera will not function with only one battery in place.
    Now... that's a feature worth buying!

Post Thanks / Like

.... so you'll need another 10K for a CFV-50c... and then have two backs which is not convenient is it? ...is it? ...is it?
    But Dante approved.

Post Thanks / Like

Still cheaper that way than buying an XF with an IQ350 back...

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    But Dante approved.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doug,

Let's review your list.

I don't expect many will be buying a body by itself.
    Well, if you want to get into medium format like I did 2 years ago, you have nothing to upgrade from. So you won't be eligible for upgrade pricing. As a company, it seems to me you want to expand your market, not just roll over your current customers. If I'm new to the market, I'm faced with a $30K+ investment vs. an $8000 investment for essentially the exact same imaging capability. At the end of the day, regardless of tethering capabilities and other listed advantages, you end up with an image. When the production of that image is driven by the same engine, well, a $20K+ difference is a tough one to comprehend.

Also, you can't list the price of the IQ150, but then list advantages that only manifest with the IQ2 or IQ3. If you're going to list those, them you have to throw the prices of those in the ring as well.

It is significantly less when bundled with a back, or when upgrading from a DF/DF+. Also you're significantly off on your pricing for a CMOS version.
    I have a 645DF, please contact me with what my price on the XF would be. I'm VERY interested in what "significantly less" means.

Either way a P1 kit provides several major advantages over the 645Z:
    - a line of 10 modern-design autofocus Schneider leaf shutter lenses with flash sync of 1/1600th*
    I hope things are SIGNIFICANTLY better in the AF department because those lenses are practically useless to me when shooting shallow DOF as you have NO idea what the camera to grabbing as a focus point. AT such shallow DOFs it only takes a little bit to be off and have a useless image. My studio photographs people, fashion, models, etc. When I need to shallow DOF image I resort back to me 5D3. I simply cannot trust the 645DF. I PRAY the XF fixes this.
    - very fast, robust, and professional tethering
    This is super cool. But I have a question about this. Is this just have the IQ3 or will Credo 60 users experience this increased speed as well?
    - support in Capture One including their world-class color profiles
    You guys can keep saying this, but I've been making my money photographing people for going on 20 years. While C1 is certainly great, so is Lightroom. My Leaf Credo is a Phase One product, but I still use Lightroom to process as "I" see zero image quality advantages that C1 has and I prefer the Lightroom workflow. My point is I don't consider being able to use C1 a tangible advantage. Pentax users can use LR and not skip a beat.
    - retina touch screen interface with the best set of image review tools on the market including focus mask, exposure warning, raw-file clipping indicator, zone exposure heat map, draggable guides, and toggle-able black and white review mode
    - automatic perspective and keystone correction
    - advanced body features such as the seismograph mode
    - waist level viewfinder (including spot metering and autofocus)
    - built-in wireless control, review, and editing (IQ2 and IQ3 only) with fast speed and native integration
    - professional support with knowledgable dealers and options to purchase with a 5-year warranty that includes free loaner during any repairs/service.
    - wide network of rental house, digital tech, and assistant availability and knowledge
    - compatibility with view cameras and tech cameras
    All of those are awesome. But we have to keep the price difference in mind. Are those advantages worth $500? DEFINITELY! Are they worth $1000? YES! Are they worth $5000? Hmm.... OK, maybe. Are they worth $10000? Now you're smoking something. Are they worth $20,000+ Now that's just crazy talk. Everything is worth something. The issue the the amount. Is Phase One gear worth a premium? I'd say yes. But again, how much of a premium is the question.

The robust rental market is a creation of the fact that MFD gear was so expensive. But with the 645z competing with the likes of the Nikon D4 and Canon 1DX in price, I know MANY are opting to own their own MFD gear via Pentax than to continue to rent. So is the ability to rent Phase One gear REALLY an advantage in today's landscape?

I think Phase One's premiums are insane. But that's just me talking. If you can get it, you'd be insane NOT to do so. My question is for how long can they continue their pricing model? Pentax is the current "problem" for their pricing model as I see it. But the bigger issue, the looming giant IMO is not, Nikon. Not Canon. But Sony. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want a very important question to be lost in my post above. What is the upgrade cost for an XF from a 645DF?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you really want to know the cost, why not call a dealer?

It seems like these threads always seem to involve people venting about what they don't like.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roanic View Post
    For the 50mp and 60mp models power sharing is the only feature the IQ3 has which the IQ2 does not.

The IQ380 also offers a new Phase One exclusive sensor which provides long exposure capability, which is not available in the IQ280.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the "not many people will be in the market for the body alone" comment amazing.

What about every customer who has bought into Phase One in the last couple of years? People owning IQ2's are not going to be trading in their backs as well, surely?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re your prayers for better autofocus compared to the DF+...

I suggest you come to one of our Phase One XF Launch Events and see for yourself what the new Honeybee Autofocus system can do:
    https://www.digitaltransitions.com/e...ct-events-2015

Post Thanks / Like

$2K trade in value on a DF+ is derisory.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok... no use of your good old back on the new body, no multishot, no film and... no way to use your JAS adapter to share the lenses with your Nikons or Canons...

Gimme a reason why I should change my Contax 645 with Fuji GX680 (contax back fit) combination where I can share my 39mp 4x multishot able back and my other 22mp 16x able (again) multishot back (for 88mp of true color)... Don't tell me "Image quality" to start with.... I'm waiting...

Forgot anything? ...Oh yeah! ...maybe that superb OTF TTL flash metering of the Contax.

P.S. Don't tell me the WLF either... I had that 12 years ago when sold my Bronica for the Contax (along with the spot metering with WLF)... and long before that with the Bronica.

P.S.-2 And don't mention the JAS adapter either which allows me not to have any 35mm lens either in the (much restricted) bag ....other than my old 17-35/2.8 (for UWs) and micro 85/2.8 PC (for when Fuji is an overkill).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What're the odds of learning a new word on the 'net?

Derisory: "ridiculously small or inadequate."

Perfect.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok... no use of your good old back on the new body, no multishot, no film and... no way to use your JAS adapter to share the lenses with your Nikons or Canons...

Gimme a reason why I should change my Contax 645 with Fuji GX680 (contax back fit) combination where I can share my 39mp 4x multishot able back and my other 22mp 16x able (again) multishot back (for 88mp of true color)... Don't tell me "Image quality" to start with.... I'm waiting...

Forgot anything? ...Oh yeah! ...maybe that superb OTF TTL flash metering of the Contax.

P.S. Don't tell me the WLF either... I had that 12 years ago when sold my Bronica for the Contax (along with the spot metering with WLF)... and long before that with the Bronica.

P.S.-2 And don't mention the JAS adapter either which allows me not to have any 35mm lens either in the (much restricted) bag ....other than my old 17-35/2.8 (for UWs) and micro 85/2.8 PC (for when Fuji is an overkill).
    A new camera announcement does not mean you need to drop your old system for a new one. Actually, I find it really odd that people look at product announcements as a reason to stop using what they are using, particularly if they are very happy with the camera and satisfied with the results.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    A new camera announcement does not mean you need to drop your old system for a new one. Actually, I find it really odd that people look at product announcements as a reason to stop using what they are using, particularly if they are very happy with the camera and satisfied with the results.
    Most certainly so... but since one's bread may depend on retaining the use of his backs and C645 is getting older and the system is discontinued... It is reasonable for one looking to change platform for a "live" one... If C645 was "alive" there would be no problem... Don't you agree?

Still, having three bodies (and another for sale) I'm not in a rush... even hope for one to resurrect the system! Otherwise it will be H-platform... not P1!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    +1

Last I checked, my current gear is all working just fine. The limiting factor to my photography stares me back in the mirror ...

(However, being realistic that never stopped me from lusting over new gear anyways!!)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Err, no.

Seems to me that you're already happy with what you have so why change?

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    $2K trade in value on a DF+ is derisory.
    Well, it's better than paying $8k and having a camera body gathering dust that you'll like never use again ... Plus, realistically how much did you pay for your DF+ body? In a bundle they're not much more than that and I really don't think that Phase One sold many as straight sales at $6k anyways.

That said, I do think that a DF+ should be worth a premium over a DF!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

given the rampant angst over the delay in upgrading the camera, now that there is a new one, how do you think that affects re-sale of the old ones?
    any trade in at all is really just a token for being a continuing customer

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember the last time Canon gave me a trade in for a camera body....
    Oh wait! They never have!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    If you really want to know the cost, why not call a dealer?

It seems like these threads always seem to involve people venting about what they don't like.
    Because I already did with other dealers. I wanted to know what Digital Transitions was offering to see if it was universal (it is not) AND I figured I wasn't the only one who wanted to know. THAT'S why I asked.

With regard to venting, heck yes! I plead guilty. We're talking about a lot of money and when things seem skewed I'm going to air my opinion. Doug gave a list that should be scrutinized. If people want to swallow whatever Phase is pushing without examination, so be it. But that's not me

Post Thanks / Like

But you gotta be fair. We're nowhere near the same investment level. A big part of the stated medium format advantage is that when you buy into a modular system, the upgrade paths are easy and not as expensive. Now I have to respectfully disagree on Doug's label of "significant" relative to the discount on the XF via a DF/DF+ upgrade. It's still a $6000 body sans sensor after trade-in. That's a bundle.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, I have a DF and V-grip. Does the V-grip have any trade in value?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Well, it's better than paying $8k and having a camera body gathering dust that you'll like never use again ... Plus, realistically how much did you pay for your DF+ body? In a bundle they're not much more than that and I really don't think that Phase One sold many as straight sales at $6k anyways.

That said, I do think that a DF+ should be worth a premium over a DF!
    US$ 5,372.79

Probably better to keep it as a back-up than explain to the boss that the dealer reckons the camera we purchased 6 months ago has depreciated by 63%, no?

At the risk of repeating myself, I simply do not accept this proposition that hardly anyone ever buys a back without a camera; or a back without a camera; or is only ever interested in upgrading both the camera and the back at the same time.

I'll spare everyone the maths of the dealer profit when selling a camera, buying it back at a fraction of what they sold it for, reselling it on (either on its own, or as part of a bundle), and selling another camera at huge margin.

Phase One have fantastic products, and I love using them. But their sales and distribution model stinks. The sooner people wake up and realise they're being taken for a ride, the better.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The XF looks excellent, so I'm very excited seeing the next generation, and they've obviously done some great work, especially for a small team.

This is no rant or complaint. Just going into my experience with the DF bodies in hopes that Phase One will possibly rethink their DF trade-in pricing.

it's a shame to have any negative comments at all about this new XF Body, especially after waiting so long. I'd love to own it, but I've already bought the DF in a kit, then upgraded to the DF+ as a separate trade/purchase. That means I'm into a single body for at least 9k now, and with my trade-in for the XF I'll need another 6k. That's $15 thousand to get one body that works right. (assuming this one does) Neither of the DF bodies worked well for me. I had power problems, custom settings problems, firmware update nastiness w/o a vgrip, Capture Pilot problems, and Live view problems.

Here's the thing: I know I own the Ferrari of camera systems (IQ260), and frankly I think that P1 is expecting that their users are making back many times the cost of ownership, or hundreds of thousands of $$ (whatever) per major release cycle. So the $8k shouldn't be a big deal. When you sell the Ferrari that's fair. Unfortunately as an artist I'm not getting that kind of ROI, so it's on me to make the sacrifice. The photogs and artists that are making good profits from this gear aren't commenting here. They already put their order in because it's obviously a much better product.

Still, for me neither the DF nor DF+ were helpful or intuitive tools, so it's hard to be positive about throwing an additional $8000 at this. In other words, it's tempting to just forget it. As I do Landscape Photography I've been using the Cambo with the IQ260 and just leaving the DF+ and Phase lenses at home. The XF makes me want to give it another shot, thus my dilemma.

Maybe my case is so out of the ordinary that it doesn't matter. If so, fine.
    -- Mark Esposito
    http://www.glorious-landscape.com

Post Thanks / Like

For the simple reason that Canon's business model isn't built around having to provide significant margins to a totally unnecessary dealer network.

And dealers are not doing you a favour by offering you a trade-in value of $2K on a DF+. You can be sure of that.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mesposito View Post
    As I do Landscape Photography I've been using the Cambo with the IQ260 and just leaving the DF+ and Phase lenses at home. The XF makes me want to give it another shot, thus my dilemma.
    Just curious, what do you think the XF would bring you, that the Cambo doesn't, in landscape applications ? I am also a tech cam user (Arca Swiss Factum), and don't have a Phase one SLR at all.
    The only thing I think the SLR would be good for, is long lenses. The long SLR lenses are as good (almost ?) as on the tech cam, but perhaps a bit more easy to handle, and framing is easier.
    Sometimes it also feel a bit a pity that I cannot use my back on an autofocus body (I use my Canon system for those applications).
    Still, for me, the XF is overkill. But perhaps there will be "good deals" on DF or DF+ bodies now...

Post Thanks / Like

I hope things are SIGNIFICANTLY better in the AF department because those lenses are practically useless to me when shooting shallow DOF as you have NO idea what the camera to grabbing as a focus point. AT such shallow DOFs it only takes a little bit to be off and have a useless image. My studio photographs people, fashion, models, etc. When I need to shallow DOF image I resort back to me 5D3. I simply cannot trust the 645DF. I PRAY the XF fixes this.
    Is the 645DF focus really that bad? I have no problems with my old H4D and its single focus point.

As to the price of the XF, the H5x is similarly priced: $7,800.00 with a viewfinder. I suppose PhaseOne believes that is where their real competition is and they chose a similar price point.

Post Thanks / Like

Current promotions of the H5X with an 80mm lens is about $8K. Some deals can also be had for an H5X with 24mm or 35-90mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    Is the 645DF focus really that bad? I have no problems with my old H4D and its single focus point.

As to the price of the XF, the H5x is similarly priced: $7,800.00 with a viewfinder. I suppose PhaseOne believes that is where their real competition is and they chose a similar price point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve_cor View Post

Is your model’s name Roland, Steve?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a serious upgrade featurewise and the ergonomics/design pleasing to my eyes! Really nice indeed.

I would definitely not mind having this as a tool in my photography, however, I'm in the extremely lucky position that I do not need it!! Ofcourse, the new body with the new 35 seems a great landscape combo, but it will not better my Rodie 32Hr at hyperfocal and 1 degree forward tilt shooting a typical landscape photograph. If I use the TC body, smaller and lighter than the Phase combo too. Obviously this is for my personal needs, with many many modern features that I never use in my work. Lucky me.....

I do wish Phase best of luck, I think they have a great cam there that could serve many for years to come. Just not for me....
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post