The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

Mgreer316

Jeffery, I'm a photo tech geek. I got into photography because it allowed me to be a gearhead. So I'm well aware of all of the parameters of lenses, etc. I has the SK 150 2.8 non LS lens. Love that thing. But when I need to nail focus on the eye, I can't do it if for instance bangs of hair are near. Even if I don't recompose, the focus circle is so big you just don't know where the camera is going to grab. SO here you have this beautiful lens and back capable of capturing an awesome image, but the focus system won't let you do it reliably. So I end up capturing 10 images hoping that one will nail it.

Mgreer316

Have you tested a DF+?
I was willing. But after consulting with CI (and them being well aware of my issues), they convinced me that the + wouldn't solve my issues. So I didn't. BTW, that's when I fell into deep like with CI. They could've encouraged me to buy a new camera, but they knew it probably wouldn't solve my problem, so they advised against it. Much respect.

rhern213

That's understandable, I was lucky enough to replace my DF with the DF+ for no added cost in the used market and it was a good upgrade.

I suggest you still at least try to demo one somehow if you can. Maybe someone near you has one and is willing to let you test it You never know for sure if it'll work for you even if they advised you not to.

I was willing. But after consulting with CI (and them being well aware of my issues), they convinced me that the + wouldn't solve my issues. So I didn't. BTW, that's when I fell into deep like with CI. They could've encouraged me to buy a new camera, but they knew it probably wouldn't solve my problem, so they advised against it. Much respect.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
Auto focus sensors use "contrast" to lock into focus. Here is a very helpful article
from "Cambridge in Colour" which will hopefully help you understand auto-focus.

I'm not a scientist, but I know there are lot on this forum who can explain the whys and hows of it as well.

P.S. I also adjust the diopter on the viewfinders eyepiece. It works wonders. Plus I carry reading glasses +1.50 in my camera bag to review images on the digital back at 100 percent.
AF for shooting paintings you mean? Well... opinions... what else to say? :sleep006:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would rather wonder what is the point of some that do ...paintings using AF!!! :cry:
John, who mentioned paintings, also said that he basically shoots manual focus. Tapping the AF on the DF+ in accurate mode will normally get you close too. Then it's up to the lens adjustment and diopter being correct as to whether it's correct or needs dialing in manually after that.

jlm

Workshop Member
so T. D.:
autofocus is good enough to get focus on eyelashes, but not a stationary, flat painting?

T.Dascalos

Not Available
John, who mentioned paintings, also said that he basically shoots manual focus. Tapping the AF on the DF+ in accurate mode will normally get you close too. Then it's up to the lens adjustment and diopter being correct as to whether it's correct or needs dialing in manually after that.
John mentioned that in his later statement... In the first he mentions he uses either (which he doesn't deny on the second)... AF is out of the Q for paintings... as is single shot backs (especially P1 ones that their color calibration is all over the place)... unless if you are talking about ...cartoon work, ...not painting reproduction. :watch:

steve_cor

1. There is no Enzo with P1... 2. It is a camera offered in one color only... 3. It never had 12 cylinders in tradition... 4. It was never an Alfa Romeo once upon the time.... 5. It comes from a company that made no cameras up until recently... I'm sure you understand the humor behind all this... ;)
How about a nice white one?

T.Dascalos

Not Available
How about a nice white one?

My impression is, that many photographers would agree that M645 evolution should have continued from where 645pro stopped 20 years ago... I would like such a camera, a 645 pro with good AF, fully integrated motor, motorized film back, higher focal plane shutter sync, leaf shutter compatibility and CPU communication contacts for all backs old or new (much like it happens with Hasselblad H)... It would look very similar spec with Contax 645 then and could reach a level today with advanced AF, bright screens and great ergonomics... Surely they could have followed that path...

kdphotography

My impression is, that many photographers would agree that M645 evolution should have continued from where 645pro stopped 20 years ago... I would like such a camera, a 645 pro with good AF, fully integrated motor, motorized film back, higher focal plane shutter sync, leaf shutter compatibility and CPU communication contacts for all backs old or new (much like it happens with Hasselblad H)... It would look very similar spec with Contax 645 then and could reach a level today with advanced AF, bright screens and great ergonomics... Surely they could have followed that path...
But damn, then that digital revolution came along and ruined everything. :rolleyes:

....and then Dorothy clicked her red heels and everything was better.

There's no place like home. There's no place like home.... Is this thread over yet? :facesmack: