The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Timing of new firmware for IQ1/IQ2

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The problem with the AFD/Df/Df+ with the backs was the interface and as a software guy who used to build reliable communication software I'd say that the circuitry/interface was never ever going to be 100% reliable (let's face it, Kodak, Leaf, Mamiya and Phase One all tried to fix it and never managed it!). The new interface adds a lot more body/back interaction and I suspect that a lot of that can't be just programmed back into the IQ1/IQ2 backs using I assume legacy mode for the interface.

That said, anything that they can add to the IQ series to make it closer to the IQ3 has to be a good idea and welcomed by many of us.

Paul2660

After reading through all the literature, it seems the IQ2 will get a firmware to share most of the features, expect the power sharing and some display features. But it appears that the back's LCD will have the information from the camera if I read that correctly. However it does require a firmware upgrade to the IQ2, which appears to be coming in the future.

Info taken from CI detailed notes on XF and Kevin Raber article on LuLa

Paul

kdphotography

If true, there may be some carry-over to IQ1 MFDBs. IQ1 and IQ2 are closer related than realized, as some previous firmware updates added functionality to IQ1 that initially were disclosed as only applying to IQ2. This may be because there is just enough differences that uniform application can't be guaranteed.

Right now, my DF is pretty solid with the IQ180. As long as a stable, or more stable platform is provided by the XF body----and I get substantially better AF performance/accuracy, I'll be happy.

Are there features or is there something required on the IQ1/2 series by firmware before they can be used with the XF??

It seems we lose the ejji nuclear generator battery, so I guess the smart move is to make sure all batteries are updated to the new 3400mah capacity batteries.

ken