The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Bag/Case Recommendation

PSon

Ok, so I looked at the rangefinder thread and the bags folks are using will not fit my medium format systems; not alone my tele-photo lens. What systems would you recommend to carry the medium format gears for light back pack and airflight travels?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Mark nice to see you here and welcome. On the Think tank I have the Antidote which is small but can carry a pretty good size setup and the nice thing is you can go on regional jets and on international flights with it.

PSon

Son:

The Lowepro Super Trekker is probably the biggest you can get. I have the original large Pro Trekker that this new model replaced and it is the only bag at the time that would fit a 400mm f2.8 and the cameras and a few lenses. It is also well enough made and padded enough that you could gate check it on smaller aircraft and not worry about the gear getting damaged.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Super_Trekker_AW_II.aspx

Robert
Robert,
What a coincidence, I was looking at this bag you recommended. I agree it is quite roomy for a back pack. Definitely an option but I wish this back pack offer the room for my Mac Book Pro 15 inch pouch option. I do not think it will offer this feature.
Son

PSon

Hi Mark nice to see you here and welcome. On the Think tank I have the Antidote which is small but can carry a pretty good size setup and the nice thing is you can go on regional jets and on international flights with it.
You would be the one to know what it takes to travel from state to state and which traveling case would be among the best candiate to protect your systems.

mark1958

HEy Guy.. i have the airport roller and i can fit so much in there. I wish there was a dedicated space for a lap top. My lap top does not fit in outside pocket (15" mac) as some people do. Nonetheless this bag or my F.64 backpack are what I am using these days for my MF gear.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes the airport roller in my book maybe the best roller out there. It is really nice. Not sure the regionals though will let you bring that on board. This is the area i watch because i do a lot of domestic travel on US Airways and they use a small carrier for short trips and most cases it is a small regional jet and they restrict the size. I do suggest when you travel to check with airlines on what size limit you can have , worst case 40 k goes in the belly and all you do is sweat on it being there when you get off. Now that is not my idea of fun. i have bailed on two flights because they wanted to stick my bags in the belly and for no reason except saying they were filled . BS frankly and no way in hell would i put my camera system in the belly. So please check folks and make sure your legal with your airlines. England from what I hear is down to ONE bag

PSon

Thank you for all the recommendations and David K and David Farkas got me interested in the Kata system. I bought the Pelican case 1560 and made my first carry on flight without any problem. This is the biggest case that I can see that will allow for carry on. I am thinking of the back pack from Kata. With the Pelican Case 1560 and the Kata back pack I should be able to pack all my gears in traveling and safe. However, I do admit, these systems are on the heavier side.

mark1958

One of the advantages of the think tank--- light.. Still my favorite.. :)

Thank you for all the recommendations and David K and David Farkas got me interested in the Kata system. I bought the Pelican case 1560 and made my first carry on flight without any problem. This is the biggest case that I can see that will allow for carry on. I am thinking of the back pack from Kata. With the Pelican Case 1560 and the Kata back pack I should be able to pack all my gears in traveling and safe. However, I do admit, these systems are on the heavier side.

fotografz

Kata shoulder bag and rolling main bag, as well as a Kata rolling lighting bag, for local weddings ...

But I travel a lot to out of town weddings and use different bags depending on what I'm carrying ... two most used are:

Tamrac Cyber Pro Flyer wheeled bag that holds my H3D, 3 lenses, 1.7X, M8 & 2 lenses, accessories and has an easy access padded pocket for my 15" Mac Laptop built in. Fits small overheads and under the seat. Heavy duty to the point of overkill, yet still light ( tough enough to transport a Profoto 600R battery powered strobe, strobe head, pocket wizards, and accessories). Built-in padded laptop pocket allows me to then carry a second shoulder bag for mobile use after arriving instead of a separate laptop bag ( most airlines only allow 2 carry-ons ). Lots of pockets and Nooks & Crannies for filters and other junk.

Think Tank International roller. it's 8" interior height allows me to carry a 503CW with PME 45 finder including the flip magnifier in an upright position. Deep enough to accommodate a Canon 1 series digital upright also ... which some of these so called "Airport Friendly" bags don't do.

mark1958

I have to agree with Marc on the Think Tank international roller. I have travelled with the bag as well and I can fit my whole medium format set up with most of my accessories. I can take most of my MF and throw in one of my canons and a bunch of the lenses. I love the deepness factor. I just wish it had a dedicated spot for a laptop. My mac will not fit in the outside pocket. I might not ever check this bag but it is more than sturdy as far as carry ons go. Mark

Kata shoulder bag and rolling main bag, as well as a Kata rolling lighting bag, for local weddings ...

But I travel a lot to out of town weddings and use different bags depending on what I'm carrying ... two most used are:

Tamrac Cyber Pro Flyer wheeled bag that holds my H3D, 3 lenses, 1.7X, M8 & 2 lenses, accessories and has an easy access padded pocket for my 15" Mac Laptop built in. Fits small overheads and under the seat. Heavy duty to the point of overkill, yet still light ( tough enough to transport a Profoto 600R battery powered strobe, strobe head, pocket wizards, and accessories). Built-in padded laptop pocket allows me to then carry a second shoulder bag for mobile use after arriving instead of a separate laptop bag ( most airlines only allow 2 carry-ons ). Lots of pockets and Nooks & Crannies for filters and other junk.

Think Tank International roller. it's 8" interior height allows me to carry a 503CW with PME 45 finder including the flip magnifier in an upright position. Deep enough to accommodate a Canon 1 series digital upright also ... which some of these so called "Airport Friendly" bags don't do.