The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD and MF confirmation

Peter_S

Hi!

I handled a Mamiya AFD yesterday, to potentially replace my 1000s and have the option to add a digital back. I have all manual focus (MF) lenses, and I am not planning to use AF lenses anytime soon (which the camera is made for, I understand).

Hm, all in all a bit under-whelming. A nicely-made camera, but the viewfinder seemed not great, and focusing my MF 110mm f/2.8 precisely was hard. I know there is suppposed to be a green MF-confirmation light, which I saw once briefly, all the rest of the time I tried around (room, room light) it was absent - also when using the AF lenses the seller had for the camera. AF worked, however.

Is that normal? Does the green light come on that rarely (requiring super-spot on focus perhaps?)? Lens and camera were set to MF.
For now, the 1000F seems so much easier to precisely focus. Do the later models (AFD II + DF) offer anything substantially better in terms of focusing aids?

Best,
Peter

Mammy645

There are three lights, two arrows and one circle, like this: < O >
The arrows light up when focus is off in either direction, and the circle lights up when you are correctly focused. You have to keep the trigger button half pressed to see the focusing aid.

Peter_S

Hi!
Thanks! I saw the arrows, but the green button did not come on - but it was a bit rushed, as it was spontaneously arranged and there was little time. He needs to find the film back anyways, so I got some time to think about it.

weinlamm

Never shooted with an older AFD I/II - so I'm not sure. But up with an AFD III / DF it should work - had some MF-lenses, like the 80/1.9 and 110/2.8, and here the camera works as described.

What kind of photography are you doing? Moving subjects or more landscape?

And if you speak about aids for helping you: there is a Magnifier for enlarging the view - but never had worked with it. So I'm not sure if it's working fine. But in the case of: sent me an email/PM: I know where you could buy it new in a shop.

Mammy645

The problem with using the AF models with manual focus lenses is that there's no auto diaphragm, so you have to manually stop down before taking the picture. This can be a pretty big pain depending on what type of photography you are doing. For static things like landscapes it's usually not a problem, but for moving subjects you are pretty much limited to using large apertures.

RodK

There are three lights, two arrows and one circle, like this: < O >
The arrows light up when focus is off in either direction, and the circle lights up when you are correctly focused. You have to keep the trigger button half pressed to see the focusing aid.
There was an accessory MicroPrism screen made for the AFD/II/III that gave a focus aid for Manual focusing.
Cat # is 800-57300A

Not sure if still available.
Rod