Site Sponsors

Thread: Credo/IQ question...

Post Thanks / Like

Credo/IQ question...

In doing some homework on medium format I find one of the common raves about Credo backs is that they are very film-like and the skin tones are amazing and second to none. That being said I'm also told that this look of the Credo isn't created by a unique sensor but accomplished only by the camera profile that is designed to this back and that the sensor is identical to the IQ series. If the above is true can the profile assigned to the Credo be updated to the IQ backs to get the same look that portrait shooters love about the Credo?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Credo/IQ question...

It probably could but I can't see it happening.

That would be like asking KFC to give up the 11 secret herbs and spices.
    Stop chasing gear, start chasing photos instead.

Jeff, but my friends call me Dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Can you not simply rent a credo and shoot a calibration target? Shoot the same target with your IQ and create a profile to generate the tonal shift then just apply it across your library?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Can you not simply rent a credo and shoot a calibration target? Shoot the same target with your IQ and create a profile to generate the tonal shift then just apply it across your library?
    Smart!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From all I know it should be the same sensor in a Credo / IQ1xx. I can't say if you can take a IQ and give it the Leaf-IQ - but I tested it with my Credo + IQ-ICC-Profil. It works. Vice versa it should be the same.

Only some tests (it's all the same picture):

-Leaf Product

- Phase One IQ Daylight

- Prophoto RGB

And you can give them the ICC-profil of a Leica, Hasselblad, Olympus... (and so on) like you want. But not sure, if everything would be fine.

So finally I would say buy what you get best - and then try out, which ICC-profil you prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thoughts ya'll...Thx!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    In doing some homework on medium format I find one of the common raves about Credo backs is that they are very film-like and the skin tones are amazing and second to none. That being said I'm also told that this look of the Credo isn't created by a unique sensor but accomplished only by the camera profile that is designed to this back and that the sensor is identical to the IQ series. If the above is true can the profile assigned to the Credo be updated to the IQ backs to get the same look that portrait shooters love about the Credo?
    I asked the same question earlier this year, and I don't think the look can be captured exactly between the 2 backs, just by switching the profiles. I am unclear if Credo uses a different CFA than Phase does on the same chip?

You can get the looks close between the 2 backs I feel.

Paul Caldwell

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I asked the same question earlier this year, and I don't think the look can be captured exactly between the 2 backs, just by switching the profiles. I am unclear if Credo uses a different CFA than Phase does on the same chip?

You can get the looks close between the 2 backs I feel.

Paul Caldwell
    I'd guess that the CFA is different between the two. On the above pictures the yellow channel seems to bleed through more in the Phase and Prophoto profiled pictures than in the Leaf one.

The more relevant question to ask is will Phase One stop neutering the Leaf backs so that they have the same features/options as the Phase One for those that prefer the Leaf color? Charge tje same as the Phase One back... call it Credo+... Just stop neutering the backs to create a pseudo "halo product" surrounding the Phase One brand products.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com