The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Credo/IQ question...

aztwang

In doing some homework on medium format I find one of the common raves about Credo backs is that they are very film-like and the skin tones are amazing and second to none. That being said I'm also told that this look of the Credo isn't created by a unique sensor but accomplished only by the camera profile that is designed to this back and that the sensor is identical to the IQ series. If the above is true can the profile assigned to the Credo be updated to the IQ backs to get the same look that portrait shooters love about the Credo?

Dogs857

It probably could but I can't see it happening.

That would be like asking KFC to give up the 11 secret herbs and spices.

thrice

Can you not simply rent a credo and shoot a calibration target? Shoot the same target with your IQ and create a profile to generate the tonal shift then just apply it across your library?

weinlamm

From all I know it should be the same sensor in a Credo / IQ1xx. I can't say if you can take a IQ and give it the Leaf-IQ - but I tested it with my Credo + IQ-ICC-Profil. It works. Vice versa it should be the same.

Only some tests (it's all the same picture):

-Leaf Product

- Phase One IQ Daylight

- Prophoto RGB

And you can give them the ICC-profil of a Leica, Hasselblad, Olympus... (and so on) like you want. But not sure, if everything would be fine.

So finally I would say buy what you get best - and then try out, which ICC-profil you prefer.

Paul2660

In doing some homework on medium format I find one of the common raves about Credo backs is that they are very film-like and the skin tones are amazing and second to none. That being said I'm also told that this look of the Credo isn't created by a unique sensor but accomplished only by the camera profile that is designed to this back and that the sensor is identical to the IQ series. If the above is true can the profile assigned to the Credo be updated to the IQ backs to get the same look that portrait shooters love about the Credo?
I asked the same question earlier this year, and I don't think the look can be captured exactly between the 2 backs, just by switching the profiles. I am unclear if Credo uses a different CFA than Phase does on the same chip?

You can get the looks close between the 2 backs I feel.

Paul Caldwell

iiiNelson

I asked the same question earlier this year, and I don't think the look can be captured exactly between the 2 backs, just by switching the profiles. I am unclear if Credo uses a different CFA than Phase does on the same chip?

You can get the looks close between the 2 backs I feel.

Paul Caldwell
I'd guess that the CFA is different between the two. On the above pictures the yellow channel seems to bleed through more in the Phase and Prophoto profiled pictures than in the Leaf one.

The more relevant question to ask is will Phase One stop neutering the Leaf backs so that they have the same features/options as the Phase One for those that prefer the Leaf color? Charge tje same as the Phase One back... call it Credo+... Just stop neutering the backs to create a pseudo "halo product" surrounding the Phase One brand products.